Zound acquires Marshall

• Thread starter alexmansman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I wonder how much of the decision was based on trying to get out from under the strain caused by an inefficient distribution system. Trying to ship to as much of the world as possible can suck up a lot of cash and time and time is also money. Worldwide (or nearly) logistics can suck.
well, Marshall USA charges double (or more) for the privilege to import to the US...

a $900 amp in UK/EU costs $1800 here a $600 cab (UK/EU) can cost $1800 here...

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
My UK made JCM 2000 value just went through the ROOF!

Honestly, Swedes are major supporters of Marshall amps and guitar in general. I don't think it will hurt anything.

V-man

Reaction score
their management died w/ him, although, you could argue that his management days were behind him for some time...

That's no way to run a company...
Assuming that to be the case (no reason not to), “managerial incompetence“ is a far cry from “the coddled generation merely cashing in.“

Given the time managing and the line produced, that didn’t square with me. Total mismanagement? I think we could all toss a few logs onto that fire to make the case.

10kDA

Reaction score
The notice on the Zound site mentions "Marshall Records" and "Marshall Live Agency" - I had never heard of these. Are/were they gamechangers?

El Gringo

Reaction score

ETA: Guess this explains why the doors at Marshall were closed weeks back with that BS “site down for maintenance” excuse
yup

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
The notice on the Zound site mentions "Marshall Records" and "Marshall Live Agency" - I had never heard of these. Are/were they gamechangers?
Marshall came out w/ their own recording studio & small label... They also do small concert series...

all local to Bletchley, so, if you're not there, they probably don't hit your radar. They do push them on social media though...

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
What are the odds that the new company tries to press Marshall clone companies with copyright issues?

Marshall has Fender for its origin, though.

Antmax

Reaction score
Well, the bluetooth speakers are actually really good wired (a bit flat with bluetooth limitations). My wife bought me a Woburn (Biggest one) about 7/8 years ago and it sounded fantastic except for the narrow soundstage from all the cones being close together in a smallish box. Nice full bodied slightly warm vintage tones like a duke box, almost audiophile.

I liked it enough to get a second one and split the two speakers to make separate left and right channels via Mono RCA to dual RCA cables from the guitar interface on my computer. I actually use it with the HX Native when I'm feeling lazy.

Was a bit surprised that the Swedish company bought Marshall, can only hope it ends up being a positive thing. So far all the budget Marshall gear I could afford the past 10 years has been a bit flakey.

Code50 took 6 months for all the bugs in the app to get fixed, ridiculously sensitive volume pot that has to be turned up past 9 o'clock (loud) like a tube amp to sound good, and it never really sounded that great anyway, kind of boxy and flabby at the same time.

DSL5c country and blues edition had to have the wiring rerouted because power cables were zip tied to the FX loop cables and buzzed like crazy.

DSL20HR had a recall to be modded for the FX loop and line out to work as intended.

MX212A vertical cab had the speakers wired incorrectly (out of phase) out of the factory and sounded terrible. If I didn't have some Greenback clones to switch out from day 1 I probably would have tossed them out in disgust not knowing why they sounded so thin and reedy.

So not the best track record :(

Last edited:

El Gringo

Reaction score
I predict Gibson will buy them within 10 years.
I am keeping an eye on when Gibson starts messing around with Randall Smith's designs . Even though Randall Smith is sticking around for a while . It is inevitable that Gibson will start trying to "improve " Randal Smith's designs as it's only a matter of time . I hope the lab coats at Zounds keep there mitts off of the Marshall amps (I know as if and when Pigs fly on a wing ) The times are clearly a changing . The most immediate thing I predict will happen is Zounds will start the cost cutting in materials and parts ASAP . Same as Gibson did when it was purchased by Norlin Industries in the mid 60's , and also when CBS purchased Fender from Leo . Everybody remembers the abysmal disasters that came out of Fullerton California after CBS came in on there slash and burn mission in 1965 . This is exactly what happens when a corporate takeover ensues .

El Gringo

Reaction score
Hopefully, Marshall becomes a whole owned subsidiary of Zounds. Stays in the UK, but receives better management. IMHO, I think they've fallen behind in innovation and competitiveness.

I'm a fan! 1/2 of my amps are Marshall, and it's the only brand I have multiple of.
This would be the best case scenario

El Gringo

Reaction score
I wouldn't jump to any conclusions on this. The Vietnam-made DSL100H and HR get trashed, yet they have several improvements over the JCM 2000 versions.

Back in the early 2000's, Fender bought Charvel/Jackson from Akai Musical Instruments. Ever since, I've seen people advertise used Jackson guitars as "pre-Fender." Total bullshit, because Fender left the USA Jackson factory alone and those guitars are as good as anything they've ever made. The imports were moved out of India to (I forget where) and they're 100% better now.

I had a late 90's Jackson DX10X made in India. Complete junk. The Floyd copy was single-locking and wouldn't stay in tune for squat, and the body was so light I thought it might float away. The current entry-level DS series guitars are far better. If Jackson had stayed under Akai, I shudder to think what kind of crap they would be by now.

So I wouldn't pass judgment until we see what happens. You never know. They might release some new amps that everyone loves.
Well the issue with a guitar company (Fender ) buying a Guitar company means they (Fender ) knew what the were doing . Can the same thing be said about Zounds ?

El Gringo

Reaction score
I have not looked into this yet. But it smells like a classic example of genX cashing in on the hardwork and efforts of a wartimer.
Cant wait to get the hands on the will and butcher it. Rather than keep the business fresh and raw. It has been sold to a board of directors/accountants that probably dont know a guitar from a tamborine.
I did have the exact same thought

PowerTube44

Reaction score
View attachment 127959

I am going with “complete horseshit” on that one.

What you are erroneously comparing is Fender v Akai eras. Weigh in on that how you will. If you say Akai is shit and because Akai (technically “pre-Fenders”) is no better or way worse than Fender, you have a point that goes only that far. I owned Jackson Ontario Guitars (started on a flawless ‘90 MIJ Professional and still have the ‘92 Ltd and ’93 PCS, the latter being the best guitar I have ever owned/played). I also had a Fender-era KV2. Sharp fret ends, weird resonance. Not in the same league as the Jacksons I owned or played, MIA or MIJ. Usually the term applies to San Dimas-Ontarios. Perhaps it’s erroneous as it adds Akais collaterally, but the thrust of the misnomer (like calling the 2203/4 circuits the “800s.”) largely stands amongst its fans.

The original San Dimas guitars are probably their best work ever (not to be confused with the later Charvel "San Dimas" models).

The Japanese imports of the 90's are also excellent.

I wasn't saying that Akai is "shit" in general, but the India-made guitars of the early 2000's were sub-par to say the least. I'm strictly talking about the imports, because I still say that Fender left the USA series and the Custom Shop alone. Everyone on the Jackson/Charvel forum at the time tended to agree. After Fender bought them out, the imports saw a vast increase in quality.

I guess your experience is different than mine, because the USA models I checked out after the Fender purchase were no different than the ones from the Akai era or before.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Well the issue with a guitar company (Fender ) buying a Guitar company means they (Fender ) knew what the were doing . Can the same thing be said about Zounds ?

That's a good point. I believe that the Jackson and Charvel imports improved for that very reason, with Fender being an actual guitar company as opposed to Akai, which was more about electronics.

As for Zounds, I have no idea what to expect. I figure it'll be one of three things:

1. They'll get on the ball and make Marshall better than it's been in decades (optimist choice).
2. They'll view Marshall as just another wing of their corporation and live off Marshall's good name and inertia for as long as they can, while letting quality go in the toilet (pessimist choice).
3. They just leave the same people in charge and let things chug along as they've been for years (realist choice).

El Gringo

Reaction score
That's a good point. I believe that the Jackson and Charvel imports improved for that very reason, with Fender being an actual guitar company as opposed to Akai, which was more about electronics.

As for Zounds, I have no idea what to expect. I figure it'll be one of three things:

1. They'll get on the ball and make Marshall better than it's been in decades (optimist choice).
2. They'll view Marshall as just another wing of their corporation and live off Marshall's good name and inertia for as long as they can, while letting quality go in the toilet (pessimist choice).
3. They just leave the same people in charge and let things chug along as they've been for years (realist choice).
Only time will tell . I hope they don't strip and gut and eviscerate Marshall . That's the way the press release and news of this takeover sounds to me . Just like at work when the bean counters came in for a look see ,and were there thinking we are at bare minimum , and they can't get rid of anyone of us . Yes they can and then 3:45pm I get called up to a 6th floor conference room (without my Union rep)(who was totally useless and started balling like a baby when I finally spoke with her and then I just getting clipped I am then consoling her ) with the head of Counsels office and the 2 hags from inHuman Resources and I made the hit/parade/list as I was one of ten that fateful afternoon .20 years and 2 months and get out of here . My last day was Christmas eve 12/24. I did not miss a beat and started a new gig on 12/27 . I then had to return 2 weeks later for my paycheck and was asked by one of the 2 hags if I were to be offered a return gig would I accept ? To which I replied I am focused on my new gig . The following morning I come in and tell my coworker what happened and this troll says to me "how the F%^& am I supposed to do this by myself " This same gent tried to stay in contact with me for a number of years until he finally got a clue Lowlife smelled and was a thief and scum . In 1997 he gets grabbed up for stealing inspection stickers out of a FEDEX truck and then has the nerve to crying to Counsels office for help with an attorney , which they provided for his scummy ass. Beats the rap of course . The first person who would pitch a bitch about that's not my job and I am not doing that and that's the one the kept . I was told they valued his opinion ! Life is cutthroat for sure. Sorry for the rant .

Last edited: