Amp modelers vs real deal

• Thread starter EL 34
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Real amp vs modeler

• I prefer the real amps

• I prefer modelers

Results are only viewable after voting.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Yup, maybe someone should come up with an "amp modeler forum"..:lol:

Judging from the replies, it does seem there's a lot of folks on here that like modelers..I just find it funny none of them have cast a vote preferring them over a tube amp is all.
I did then changed it lol

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I think most that have them, would like to have "all the above" option of being able to play any of the above (maybe that's the best choice), whenever they want, because it doesn't have to be a choice of 1 or the other. Why can't it be both?

To answer either answer, I'd have to be dishonest...

CraigP

Reaction score
I think most that have them, would like to have "all the above" option of being able to play any of the above (maybe that's the best choice), whenever they want, because it doesn't have to be a choice of 1 or the other. Why can't it be both?

To answer either answer, I'd have to be dishonest...

Yes!

Attachments

• 13427974_1032018226833613_3910029819187619824_n.jpg
    13427974_1032018226833613_3910029819187619824_n.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 3

Dmann

Reaction score
And lastly, it looks like the poll is pretty silly as well, since so far there's been not a single vote cast favoring modelers. :hmm:
I didn't vote because I have no preference. I use both daily usually together, sometimes separately, and any way that suits the moment as I enjoy playing ALL my gear regularly.

As for the votes, I mean this is an amp forum, one would accept the majority of members are here to discuss all things Marshall, and a fair amount of "Tube Snobbery" happens, not trying to cause drama, just stating the obvious, as I've been a member for a while, I've seen it all.

Its ok though, remember.

Its simply a preference, nothing more.

What I think the snobs are missing is, there's a real and substantial culture happening in today's world where its all about home studios and 8 string guitars and modeling and profiling and processing and presenting that through social media. These guys are still buying tube amps too BTW, but everything is digitally recorded and processed mostly with an Impulse Response loadbox. Gone are the days of cranking an isolated cab with a mic for the majority.

Try to keep an open mind. There are tools for every possible scenario, so instead of being stubborn, maybe just think about how it would be useful given a certain situation.

Further, all these statements are beyond silly

-"its not exactly the same as my tube amp."
- "it has to completely replace all my gear to be viable,"
- " it has to be 100% reliable to be viable,"
- "it can't be made in China to be viable,"

Then the price argument.... like $2000 is a lot lol for a top of the line modeler, and if you go big another $1000 for a top of the line FRFR powered cab.. A JCM800 RI and matching cab will run you $4000 after tax. That is with no pedals, no mic, no cables, etc. Then you have a pedal board with average pedal running $200 these days, add 6 of those plus cables and power supply theres another $1500. Don't forget a backup set of tubes.... oh and if you live in a place you can't turn it up? Add a loadbox on top of that.

While there can be no dispute for ones personal preference, to ignore all the benefits of modeling is foolish to say the least.

And..... Just in case it hasn't sunk in yet.

There is no unspoken law of life that states you must choose only Tubes or only modeling.

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
I didn't vote because I have no preference. I use both daily usually together, sometimes separately, and any way that suits the moment as I enjoy playing ALL my gear regularly.

As for the votes, I mean this is an amp forum, one would accept the majority of members are here to discuss all things Marshall, and a fair amount of "Tube Snobbery" happens, not trying to cause drama, just stating the obvious, as I've been a member for a while, I've seen it all.

Its ok though, remember.

Its simply a preference, nothing more.

What I think the snobs are missing is, there's a real and substantial culture happening in today's world where its all about home studios and 8 string guitars and modeling and profiling and processing and presenting that through social media. These guys are still buying tube amps too BTW, but everything is digitally recorded and processed mostly with an Impulse Response loadbox. Gone are the days of cranking an isolated cab with a mic for the majority.

Try to keep an open mind. There are tools for every possible scenario, so instead of being stubborn, maybe just think about how it would be useful given a certain situation.

Further, all these statements are beyond silly

-"its not exactly the same as my tube amp."
- "it has to completely replace all my gear to be viable,"
- " it has to be 100% reliable to be viable,"
- "it can't be made in China to be viable,"

Then the price argument.... like $2000 is a lot lol for a top of the line modeler, and if you go big another $1000 for a top of the line FRFR powered cab.. A JCM800 RI and matching cab will run you $4000 after tax. That is with no pedals, no mic, no cables, etc. Then you have a pedal board with average pedal running $200 these days, add 6 of those plus cables and power supply theres another $1500. Don't forget a backup set of tubes.... oh and if you live in a place you can't turn it up? Add a loadbox on top of that.

While there can be no dispute for ones personal preference, to ignore all the benefits of modeling is foolish to say the least.

And..... Just in case it hasn't sunk in yet.

There is no unspoken law of life that states you must choose only Tubes or only modeling.

:lalala:

zachman

Reaction score
Do you know how many kemper and Axe FX units go on tour? It’s rather shortsighted to say pros don’t take them very seriously.
Metallica
Journey
Def Leppard
Lonestar

There’s a ton more.

Ya, but to his defense he is consistent with his short-sighted comments illustrating his lack of deep thoughts

zachman

Reaction score
I know someone will have an answer to this..
Honestly I have never used or been around a Kemper...
Why would most tube amp snobs ditch their amps for a Kemper rig when most of them flip a finger @ most SS/Digital amps?

I honestly do no understand..are Kempers some amazing piece of equipment? I am sure I will catch hell for asking, but I just don’t understand what the deal is with this type of gear..

To accept a compromise to accommodate a limited touring budget

fwiw, I like Kemper-- but wouldn't take an 'instead of' tube amps approach. I tend to lean toward an 'in addition to' approach

KraftyBob

Reaction score
I believe that Line 6 is manufactured in China. They are owned by Yamaha so no surprise there, but the Line 6 business is managed out of Calabasas, CA.

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
Or get a Kemper and have them all :applause::agreed::duel::duel:

No, what I would have would be just a high-tech computerized gadget that sounds similar to all of them.. :lol:

Sorry, but I'm just an old school curmudgeon, and like my old-school stuff..I remember when I was in college, and one of my instructors had one of those Pod thingies that he used while giving lessons..It was cool, and as a practice/teaching tool I could see where it would be useful.

Last edited: