Amp modelers vs real deal

• Thread starter EL 34
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Real amp vs modeler

• I prefer the real amps

• I prefer modelers

Results are only viewable after voting.

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Actually, I was quoting the Scottish dude from an old Bugs Bunny cartoon..Now THAT was art!

But judging from the poll, it would also seem the weight of the evidence is greatly in favor of tube amps as well laddies..:naughty:
What a freaking surprise result on a forum created for tube amp fans. /eyeroll

zachman

Reaction score
LMAO...this is art. It ain't "science" LOL

Oh it's BOTH. The science is the 'Knowing how to' part of the equation. The 'Art' is in the 'Doing' part of the equation, and the 'Art' is multi-faceted. Ex. The Art of proficiency on the fretboard, or creativity as a writer are not the same as the 'Art' of making $$$ playing music, or the art of entertaining a crowd via performing music.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
For the cover band I'm in I run a
Vox Tonelab into the front of a Hughes & Kettner 20th Anniversary tube combo.

It sounds excellent.

Many (without hearing it) won't agree with the method. That's fine. If I wanted to carry around a massive and expensive pedal board and use a multi channel amp I could, but this works really well and fits my commitment to the band.

Direct into a tube amp, or having very sparse pedals is excellent, but wouldn't work for this gig. Rather, isn't something I want to invest in making work yet.

There a time and a place for amps and a time and a place for modellers. IMO a good player makes what he has sound good regardless.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
After seeing the Kempers referred to often I decided to investigate them. While watching numurous "blind" A/B videos with a real amp and then a Kemper profile of said amp I found it fairly easy to distinguish between the 2. I also always prefered the real amp BUT I admit the Kemper is an awesome piece of technology. I would definitely enjoy owning one and find the ability to play an almost unlimited amount of amp profiles sounds sweet. At the end of the day tho there is something special about a tube amp.

I can imagine the 2 techs combining for the ultimate experience, 100% tube amp with modeling voicing to achieve an authentic experience.

EL 34

Reaction score
I don't know about you guys but if I am happy with the quality of the tones through the signal chain, I play more and enjoy it more. It's a circle that can allow me to play for hours. If the tone sucks I just play without an amp.

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
Actually I DO have a modeling amp of sorts, a Roland Micro-cube.

It does get some nice sounds, I keep it in our den and I like to play through it for practice or jamming along with a concert on the boobtube..But I would never consider using it in a live setting, that's what I invested in tube amps and effect pedals for!

But if that's what floats your boat, by all means go for it.

DaDoc

Reaction score
lol... Micro-cube

& lumping that in w/ real model/profilers...

Ok, fair enough..But in my defense I DID say a "modeler of sorts"..:lol:

But the bottom line is those "pro-grade modelers" are still just modelers though, a computerized device designed to copy the sound of a real tube amp. In that context, my silly little Micro-cube that I paid less than $100.00 for is really not all that different from those $1500.00 Kempers..While it of course can't possibly come even close to what the high-end modelers do, the end result is basically the same..:shrug:

"Real modeler"..Now that's funny!

EDIT: An excellent example of a contradiction in terms. :lol:

Last edited:

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Ok, fair enough..But in my defense I DID say a "modeler of sorts"..:lol:

But the bottom line is those "pro-grade modelers" are still just modelers though, a computerized device designed to copy the sound of a real tube amp. In that context, my silly little Micro-cube that I paid less than $100.00 for is really not all that different from those $1500.00 Kempers..While it of course can't possibly come even close to what the high-end modelers do, the end result is basically the same..:shrug:

"Real modeler"..Now that's funny! :lol:
So my gorilla is end result same as a classic Marshall? I mean it’s a “real” amp.

EL 34

Reaction score
Yup, the ignorant will continue to be ignorant dismissing things they have no clue about.

Rock on
Coming from a guy with no preference. You probably think mcdonalds is as good as 5 guys. There's a huge market for that taste.

DaDoc

Reaction score
QUOTE="Dmann, post: 1985778, member: 4915"]Yup, the ignorant will continue to be ignorant dismissing things they have no clue about.

Rock on[/QUOTE]

Oh come on now dude! Really? That's all ya got?

Sorry man, but not ignorant, I know exactly what the score is concerning modelers..Just not into using fake sound generators when I have the real deal at hand.

No worries though, someday all of us 'ol ignorant dinosaurs will be dead and gone, and I suspect tube amps eventually will be as well, and modelers will become the norm. Glad as hell I won't be around to see that! :sadwave:

Think about this..In the event that modelers do phase out tube amps, all those who buy, use, and sing the praises of modeling devices will be at least partially responsible for the demise of those awesome old tube amps, if not largely responsible.

"Well, I hated to hear that 5 star restaurant that served locally grown and awesome organic food went belly up, but Mcdonald's tastes just as good and is much more convenient!" :run:

Last edited: