amps. "can we have the modders...."

• Thread starter dreyn77
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for making me listen to the clip for 3 times in a row. I'm still scratching my head.

Low volume?
What are you hearing? :scratch:

Wait... No drink in the cupholder!

For what it's worth, that's all I picked up on either … dimed the volume, and had the MV on about .5 … basically a bedroom volume. Not seeing any deception, but maybe I'm just not picking up on something :scratch:

Ghostman

Reaction score
For what it's worth, that's all I picked up on either … dimed the volume, and had the MV on about .5 … basically a bedroom volume. Not seeing any deception, but maybe I'm just not picking up on something :scratch:

...but when I use my brain it hurts.
nT7M7eh.gif

And yeah, I don't see anything out of the ordinary except that it seems quite loud at a really low MV level. The Presence is dimed too, boost low.

Unless the power and standby are upside down, maybe it's off? :scratch:

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Ok technically it is not a deception because nothing was claimed or disclosed.
I think it is all in the sound though. The video does not make for a good demo because it is not a dry/direct signal. To my ears it cannot be.
I do not believe there is a guitar amplifier out there that will sound like that with a dry unaffected guitar signal.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I just have to ask:

All of you who have listened to this can you tell me the biggest deception of the video?

Is it a distortion pedal? Sounds like Big Muff.

There is plenty gain, and some nice crunch, but the lows sound muddy, compressed, overloaded.

That is the exact tone that I strive to remove, so the lows are defined and UN-compressed. BTW, that is the secret of the true Marshall classic sound...lows are clean, top end is crunchy. This amp does not do that, at all. It's all mud in the lows.

Last edited:

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
I think it is all in the sound though. The video does not make for a good demo because it is not a dry/direct signal. To my ears it cannot be.
I do not believe there is a guitar amplifier out there that will sound like that with a dry unaffected guitar signal.

I agree, good call I say.
The lows have a distinctive subsonic compression which you might expect from a distortion pedal.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Is it a distortion pedal? Sounds like Big Muff.

There is plenty gain, and some nice crunch, but the lows sound muddy, compressed, overloaded.

That is the exact tone that I strive to remove, so the lows are defined and UN-compressed. BTW, that is the secret of the true Marshall classic sound...lows are clean, top end is crunchy. This amp does not do that, at all. It's all mud in the lows.

Nope, not a Big Muff. Big Muff sounds flubbier in the low end.

spacerocker

Reaction score
I agree, good call I say.
The lows have a distinctive subsonic compression which you might expect from a distortion pedal.

I was going to say something similar - it's about the most compressed thing I have ever heard! - and not a sound I would particularly chose to use!

I suspect post-recording producion!

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
That low end is chunky as hell. Good catch mickeydg. I wouldn't have suspected that, I just assumed it was just the circuit but "buffed" out (on steroids) for it to react that way. But it makes sense that it could be boosted a bit with a pedal.

wakjob

Reaction score
Compression?

Well yeah. Did you hear how much gain and preamp tube saturation there was in that clip?

Compression comes with excessive gain.

JimiRules

Reaction score
That's a pretty dark joke, but made me laugh :lol:

I felt like a douche as soon as I posted it, but hopefully Jimi understands I wasn't trying to be. I guess if I blow a tube or start breaking guitar strings I'll know he didn't.

Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score

Not sure what you're hearing, but I don't hear it. I've heard plenty of youtube videos that sound very similar to that, usually Bugera or Mesa drop tuned stoner videos. Any odd overtones are most likely the result of the recording device.

Blueslicks

Reaction score
I just have to ask:

All of you who have listened to this can you tell me the biggest deception of the video?

I was gonna say "no beer in the cup holder".

But yeah, I agree the sound is enhanced somehow either with an unseen pedal or by re-amping of some sort.

GuitarMutant

Reaction score
guitar mutant, you're still trying to make the thread suit yourself and your ideas.

it's a thread about TALKING and what happens when you say things constantly about ....... changing amps.

the END result of all that talking in EVERY thread about modding.

you ARE changing life out there.

what's your plans for the future buying of amps?
will you be happy paying $20,000 for a box of parts? yes or NO?

if people want to buy your idea about a marshall amp, where can they buy that product?

this 900 with the cable in the loop built into the amp, sold as your brand.

modding is YOUR idea. why do people have to get your version of 900 reality with each thread about the 900 amp?

I'd already heard about people putting cables into the 900 amps loop long before I got onto the internet.
now I've read about it 500 more times.
I've heard that the 800 amp is the best amp for the last 30+ years. then I got on the internet and heard that same saying 400 times more.

so what's your plan for saying these things?
will you keep saying them for 800 more times? 2000 times?

what's going on? what are you doing?

Dude, mellow out. Forget your meds?

For the record, I said nothing about a patch cable in any loop here. But even if I had, your tone is inflammatory and your babble is nonsense. Chill.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Not sure what you're hearing, but I don't hear it. I've heard plenty of youtube videos that sound very similar to that, usually Bugera or Mesa drop tuned stoner videos. Any odd overtones are most likely the result of the recording device.
Can you point or link to some for examples?

As Blueslicks put it "enhanced" sounding.

rjohns1

Reaction score
One thing that the anti-modders (Dreyn) completely miss is that every guitar is different. Sometimes, we players like to adapt our amps to sound the best with our favorite guitar. Most mods, especially the popular c19 mod to the DSL40C, is to tame the brightness in the Drive channel. what Dreyn misses in his argument that the designers knew best, is that the engineers typically designed the amp circuit with a baseline, a compromise of how the circuit will react to different guitars. Sometimes, when you play a guitar with a really hot, dark pickup, the amp sounds fine. Next, use a guitar with a brighter, lower output pickup, and suddenly there are bees buzzing inside the cab. Nothing wrong with tweaking parts values to find that sweet spot, and tweaking values at different spots throughout the circuits produce different results. Adjusting the treble control that is after the gain stages will not tame harmonics created before the clipping stages completely. If the frequency of the harshness you are trying to tame is higher than the frequency the treble control works best at, it's not really going to do the best job. But tame the right frequency at the right stage of the circuit will make a it sound magical. It's not rocket science. There are filters or "tone controls" at every stage of the circuit, they are just fixed and can't be adjusted with a knob. The knob is changing the parts. Quite simple.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing that the anti-modders (Dreyn) completely miss is that every guitar is different. Sometimes, we players like to adapt our amps to sound the best with our favorite guitar. Most mods, especially the popular c19 mod to the DSL40C, is to tame the brightness in the Drive channel. what Dreyn misses in his argument that the designers knew best, is that the engineers typically designed the amp circuit with a baseline, a compromise of how the circuit will react to different guitars. Sometimes, when you play a guitar with a really hot, dark pickup, the amp sounds fine. Next, use a guitar with a brighter, lower output pickup, and suddenly there are bees buzzing inside the cab. Nothing wrong with tweaking parts values to find that sweet spot, and tweaking values at different spots throughout the circuits produce different results. Adjusting the treble control that is after the gain stages will not tame harmonics created before the clipping stages completely. If the frequency of the harshness you are trying to tame is higher than the frequency the treble control works best at, it's not really going to do the best job. But tame the right frequency at the right stage of the circuit will make a it sound magical. It's not rocket science. There are filters or "tone controls" at every stage of the circuit, they are just fixed and can't be adjusted with a knob. The knob is changing the parts. Quite simple.

What he said.:yesway:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking the Blades amp is getting a boost. Punchy chunk is definitely a clue. I think it's running hotter than the amp can punch out on its own.

My 1990-I can sound like this with a bit of juice to it. Only takes a little mixed in done right but definitely noticeable compared to amp alone. Enhanced punch at that gain level is the give away.

dreyn77

Reaction score
by all means talk about the value of modding, but start the thread about it.

you seem to be looking for more meaning inbetween the words I say.

All I've said is if you keep saying for people to mod.... it ends up as some product.
you're endlessly gonna keep telling people do to something.

marshall didn't make a platform for you to endlessly tell people to change that product.

and to tell people instantly the moment they've announced to the world they have that product in their possession.

you're essentially forceing people to know what you know and to think like you think.
which is not marshalls idea or way.
there's laws which marshall is following inorder to make the product. the product isn't faulty.

I'm just saying IF YOU KEEP SAYING, you'll endup in a version of reality which you may not like.

I'm not sick of the mods cause I never see them!
I'm sick of the endless controlling talk which has been talked about for 35 years.

It's actually verbal henpecking and it does effect peoples mental well being.

Sidewinder

Reaction score
If you're a human, you mod things. It's what you do. If you want to save 15% or more on car insurance, you switch to Geico. It's what you do.

Latest posts