• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Best 50watt El34 head on a budget.

• Thread starter The Grim Peeper
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
If you don't rush & keep your eyes peeled. you can find almost anything...

I just bought an EL34 50/50 for a bit over $500. I have been looking for the better part of a year & finally found one on fleabay w/ a buy it now for $575 (starting bid $500). I could have bid on it, but in my experience, the price would have gone up higher than the BIN price & would have possibly had to look for another year or so, or pay a premium for the next one I was interested in.

Csquare4

Reaction score
I bought this reverb tank if it doesnt work then I try another one. Thanks for the good advice 4AB3C1B Reverb Tank, Accutronics | Amplified Parts.no was also thinking I would like to build a 50 el34 master volume type amp.
What is a good but reasonable kit for real simple circuit type 50 watt head?

That should work...hopefully the input/output impedance specs are aligned. The isolated input jack should prevent a ground loop, so hopefully you will not hear any additional hum. I just don't know how the reverb return circuit is wired, but hopefully the grounds will work out. If you find there is too much hum, you can always try jumping a wire from the input jack "ground" to the output jack ground to try to eliminate it. If that works, then just solder a wire between the two.

The Grim Peeper

Reaction score
Even though Ive had problems with the reverb this YSR-1 has some awesome clean tone that makes my pedal board come alive and its handwired!!!. I still cant belive I got this thing for 299!!! Are there any other "Great Deal" secret treasure vintage amps out there?. Ive been very interested in JMP clones in 50 watts as well. Any suggestions?

Nudge68

Reaction score
my cat managed that once with no injuries to my amazement. he did almost burn down the apartment complex though. luckily i'm smart and remembered to unplug the cord from the wall and stomp the carpet out.:dude::slash:

of course i woke my wife up first in a panick to get her out while i tried to play hero....

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

But your cat was ok, right?

Cheers,

Matt.

The Grim Peeper

Reaction score
Hey Csquare4 I got my accutronics 4ab3c1b in today and just hooked it up a min ago. I still cant hear any reverb coming through on the guitar signal. What I cannot understand is that when I tap the case I do hear the springs crash around through the speaker which should mean that it is working yet I hear 0% reverb on the dry signal I know that drivers working because of the spring sounds and the wire humming. Is this a grounding issue because I can solder quite well. I tried using a wire to simulate a ground on some of the connections and cannot find a scewnario that gives me reverb. Is it that both sides need to be ungrounded?:confused:

Btw this amp keeps shocking me!!!. I got zapped for the umteenth time last night while I was switching cabs to see what it sounded like with diff speaker then got shocked again while I was fiddling with my other amp in the same room I guess I keep completeing these circuits by accident. Next mod will definanately be a grounded plug on this amp as soon as I figure this reverb thing out.

Last edited:

Csquare4

Reaction score
Hey Csquare4 I got my accutronics 4ab3c1b in today and just hooked it up a min ago. I still cant hear any reverb coming through on the guitar signal. What I cannot understand is that when I tap the case I do hear the springs crash around through the speaker which should mean that it is working yet I hear 0% reverb on the dry signal I know that drivers working because of the spring sounds and the wire humming. Is this a grounding issue because I can solder quite well. I tried using a wire to simulate a ground on some of the connections and cannot find a scewnario that gives me reverb. Is it that both sides need to be ungrounded?:confused:

Btw this amp keeps shocking me!!!. I got zapped for the umteenth time last night while I was switching cabs to see what it sounded like with diff speaker then got shocked again while I was fiddling with my other amp in the same room I guess I keep completeing these circuits by accident. Next mod will definanately be a grounded plug on this amp as soon as I figure this reverb thing out.

First off, it is always difficult to troubleshoot remotely without being able to check out the circuit. You could have any myriad of issues. Have you checked the reverb driver "send" tube? Try changing that for another known good tube. It sounds like the return circuit works. If it is not the tube, it may be any number of things. Do you have a foot switch to try? It's a simple "on/off"...try plugging in a cable into the foot switch and shorting the tip to the ring on the 1/4" plug...it may just be a bad or "stuck" connector, as these are grounded jacks. Other than that, you may need to start unsoldering resistors/caps in the driver circuit to check it out.

For the reverb pan itself, I may have been off on my recommendation...did you try jumping the ground between the input and output plugs? Seriously, I am just guessing, not having it in front of me. Another thing may be the input impedance mismatch...it may not be 8 ohms as previously suspected...since you don't have a driver transformer.

Btw -- where are you located? If you are close to Atlanta, I could take a look at it for you. If not, you may need to find a decent tech in your area...it sounds like some troubleshooting skills are in order. Does the tremelo work?

On the shock, yeah, you need to get that grounded 3 prong in there asap. And disconnect the ground switch/death cap! Anytime you are touching your strings and touch a "ground" on the amp with the other hand, you will experience that wonderful sensation as a reminder. And whatever you do, don't touch a mic or someone else that is touching their guitar strings...or they will get to experience it as well :naughty:

The Grim Peeper

Reaction score
Its so weird that I can tickile the reverb springs and have them sound through the speaker but not have anything on my guitar signal. The trem on the amp works fine in fact its great! Everything is great except reverb. I tried flipping the internal pan and making the grounded side the input and vise versa with no luck I tried jumpering the grounds and still no reverb but I can hear the springs now when i jigggle thema and they make that classic reverb splash so si suppose im closer. I think both sides might be isolated on this amp tank but im still trying ther figure out how to unground the ouput jack without screwing everything up more. I think that impedences are right considering I can hear something through the tank right.

The Grim Peeper

Reaction score
At this point I may just jumper the reverb plug with a single cord and give myself some more gain. Im not the biggest reverb guy anyway. That will work right? Is it bad for the amp just to unplug the tank and leave it that way?

Last edited:

The Grim Peeper

Reaction score
I spoke to service tech at Yorkville sound in Canada and he seemed to know what was up and he told me that because of the lack of a reverb transformer and because of the very high impedance that it would be a custom tank. Looks like there's a digiverb pedal in my near future.

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
I spoke to service tech at Yorkville sound in Canada and he seemed to know what was up and he told me that because of the lack of a reverb transformer and because of the very high impedance that it would be a custom tank. Looks like there's a digiverb pedal in my near future.

I am no amp tech by ANY means, but I wonder if your tremelo circuit uses half of the 12at7. If it does, then the fact that your trem works fine would seem to be more evidence that it's the tank. Just a thought.

custom53

Reaction score
Not a EL34 head, but I just sold one of the best "sleeper" 6L6 heads out there..

A 1980s Peavey Butcher.. Especially if you wanted a JCM 800 Clone.. And if you can find the matching cabinet with G12-85s in it, totally awesome..!

Butcher-1-1.jpg

Image003-5.jpg

http://www.marshallforum.com/other-amps/50327-best-peavey-cab.html

Here is one going cheap so far.. Not mine..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pea...283?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e757fe6b3

But, yes the Laneys are good stuff too..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Lan...335?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2326297847

Or if you want a great "obscure" EL34 amp, try a Sound City.. I had one years ago.. Great amp...!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOUND-CITY-...297?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27cdde9a39

Or maybe the Sovtek Mig-50s or Mig-100s.. I personally have no experience with them, but I have heard nothing but good things,,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SOVTEK-MIG5...=&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

pittbull

Reaction score
Rockitt Retro 68 spec plexi 1987 50 watt.Top quality componets.