Calm attitude to driving? What's it like where you are?

• Thread starter TheKman76
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
How about the "driver by cell phone in the right hand at all times idiots"

Can't make a turn or just stop and make everyone wait while your F N dumb ass cell phone tells your F N dumb ass where to go.

BlueX

Reaction score
Strange as it may sound, I prefer being in the passenger seat of someone who's had an accident than someone who hasn't. To be fair, I've never had one on four wheels, but a fair few on two. Nothing too serious, but enough for me to understand what's at stake.
Close-call events can be "educational", long-lasting. Not good to risk lives to learn, though.

Maybe one reason for calm traffic in Scandinavia is the mooses. If you hit a deer, wild boar, or similar, there is usually just damages to the front of the car (and the sad death of the animal of course). People in the car are usually fine. Mooses are a different story. Due to their long legs, the heavy body can hit the wind screen with fatal results not only for the animal.

I've been in moose collisions twice (all people involved were OK, and the moose survived one time). It's a scary experience to see this huge body coming towards you. This might be the reason why many of us here are quite cautious driver (and it's the reason why Volvo cars are designed the way they are).

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Close-call events can be "educational", long-lasting. Not good to risk lives to learn, though.

Maybe one reason for calm traffic in Scandinavia is the mooses. If you hit a deer, wild boar, or similar, there is usually just damages to the front of the car (and the sad death of the animal of course). People in the car are usually fine. Mooses are a different story. Due to their long legs, the heavy body can hit the wind screen with fatal results not only for the animal.

I've been in moose collisions twice (all people involved were OK, and the moose survived one time). It's a scary experience to see this huge body coming towards you. This might be the reason why many of us here are quite cautious driver (and it's the reason why Volvo cars are designed the way they are).

I used to wrench at a Saab dealer many years ago (and owned several) they had a moose test for their cars as well. RIP Saab..... :-(

I don't think moose would change driver habits here in the US. White-tail deer are nowhere near as big but they still kill a couple hundred people every year. Due to the over population of deer in many places crashes are very frequent. Plus some states do have elk and moose anyway.
I think people just see it as another vague risk inherent to driving- after an accident you slow down for awhile then go right back to speeding. lol

BlueX

Reaction score
I don't think moose would change driver habits here in the US. White-tail deer are nowhere near as big but they still kill a couple hundred people every year. Due to the over population of deer in many places crashes are very frequent. Plus some states do have elk and moose anyway.
I think people just see it as another vague risk inherent to driving- after an accident you slow down for awhile then go right back to speeding. lol
Myth busted.

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
Brake for moose,it can save your life .

900 lbs straight through your windshield.

That's why all the country folks drive tall trucks.
Moose still ruin your 6000 lb pickup, but you get to
walk away with airbag injuries instead.

TheKman76

Reaction score
Maybe one reason for calm traffic in Scandinavia is the mooses.
White-tail deer are nowhere near as big but they still kill a couple hundred people every year.
Mmm, Red Kangaroos are problematic here too. 50kg doesn't sound awful until it's inside the car with you at 100km/h. Never seen it personally but I have seen a wreck of a Land Cruiser by the side of the road with the remains still tangled in the roof and A pillar. Was still upright on it's wheels so I expect the occupants survived, but I'm glad it wasn't me.

Don't get me started on how cyclists are treated. Clearly some drivers have no understanding of how to rules apply to cyclists here and become horribly enraged by having to wait for them. It's also escalated to pelotons taking over the road so they can't be overtaken badly, which is making it worse.

Whoosah, people!

BlueX

Reaction score
Mmm, Red Kangaroos are problematic here too. 50kg doesn't sound awful until it's inside the car with you at 100km/h. Never seen it personally but I have seen a wreck of a Land Cruiser by the side of the road with the remains still tangled in the roof and A pillar. Was still upright on it's wheels so I expect the occupants survived, but I'm glad it wasn't me.

Don't get me started on how cyclists are treated. Clearly some drivers have no understanding of how to rules apply to cyclists here and become horribly enraged by having to wait for them. It's also escalated to pelotons taking over the road so they can't be overtaken badly, which is making it worse.

Whoosah, people!
I think wildlife is the most unpredictable hazard in traffic, despite some crazy people driving around.

Road cyclist myself, and don't like big peletons. That's for organised racing.