Could have saved a ton of money...

• Thread starter Crunchcity
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crunchcity

Reaction score
If I had bought a Marshall sooner in life.

It's strange because I grew up on 70's/80's tones that were largely Marshall derived, but ended up playing through various Mesa Boogie amps by the time the 90's came around.

I took a long and winding road to get here. I wish I had just skipped over some of the "Marshallesque" amps I've owned and just got a Marshall!

Back in 2008 I bought a Splawn Quickrod and it was a good amp/well built, but as soon as I plugged into a JCM 800 I heard the midrange that I wanted to hear.

Last edited:

slash07

Reaction score
I feel this way too, as I spent quite a bit chasing that Marshall tone buying so many "Marshall in a box" pedals, and still went and bought my JVM.
I would easily have got at least a JCM800 for that much money.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
I hear ya on that one brotha,...i started with a 2203 in '82, went on some wild goose chase starting about '88, then about 10 years and a SHIT LOAD of money later back to a 2203,...and never been happier. [except my Jub,...i love it to, but in a differrent way]

Reaction score
Amen!! I also took the long way around..Wish i still had some of those great old Marshalls that i let slip away over the years in search of greener pastures...Guess i am a slow learner. It was a fun, but expensive tone journey i went on.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
i agree man. i offed my DSL100 for a hard to get amp and the ONLY reason i don't regret it is because i wouldn't have had the chance at this other amp but, gah dam i miss my marshall mids. i'm trying really hard to off this mesa i have for a jvm or 2205/2204.

Mike dsl100

Reaction score
listening and learning from the Rev. Wille G.
I know I have spent tons of money only to come back to marshall.I have been though several amps and processers trying to get the sound and tone that I had in the first place.I done something so stupid a few months back that I could stick my own foot up my ass.Still trying to recover from that one.If I said what I did the people on this forum would give me 40 lashes and banishment from the forum.Now I have my dsl and eventually Ill get a 800.So I feel I'm still on the road home.

JayCM800

Reaction score
I did not spend a lot of money but i did waste a lot of time! Should have got a Marshall fullstack back in 1997!!

sccloser

Reaction score
my story is a little different. I played a few different amps..peaveys, fenders, etc. then I finally got a Marshall jcm 800 2205. That was the amp. I had a few others during that time like a 1987x, a Boogie mkii and a 2204 for a short time (with 6550s). When I quit playing I eventually got rid of the big stuff and I just kept a jtm 30 to play on in the house. Then, after about 18 years, I started playing in bands again, and I tried the jtm 30, and dsl401 and a couple of Carvins, but I just could not find anything that could replace the old 2205, so I got another one. I've got a mkiii nowadays as well, but the 2205 is my main amp. Looking to pick up another 2204 or 2203, but in the meantime the 2205 is filling the bill.

Landshark

Reaction score
I gotta tell you about a guy I know on what he said this weekend. He started out in a band about 7 years ago playing around with an AVT head with some high school friends. He joined a metal band where the other guitarist loved the peavy XXX and got himself one. About six months ago that XXX got stolen out of his car while he was at work and he went cheapo and got a Bugera 333X. This past saturday night at our show, his band played and when they set up, he was using my other guitarists DSL and Carvin V3 cab. They sounded awesome! Aterward he was telling me about all the crap that's been happening with his Bugera and how he never would have thought a Marshall could get him the sound he's after. He's hooked and wants a DSL now.

kfowler8

Reaction score
The one thing I've learned in my 20+ years of playing is to just hold on to your gear. A lot of things I've owned before and sold I'm not buying again. Wish I had just held on to it.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
I gotta tell you about a guy I know on what he said this weekend. He started out in a band about 7 years ago playing around with an AVT head with some high school friends. He joined a metal band where the other guitarist loved the peavy XXX and got himself one. About six months ago that XXX got stolen out of his car while he was at work and he went cheapo and got a Bugera 333X. This past saturday night at our show, his band played and when they set up, he was using my other guitarists DSL and Carvin V3 cab. They sounded awesome! Aterward he was telling me about all the crap that's been happening with his Bugera and how he never would have thought a Marshall could get him the sound he's after. He's hooked and wants a DSL now.

and thats what its all about right there. For some reason, ....and i used to be one of these people,....alot of people cant see how much ass marshalls kick untill they use one live.

poeman33

Reaction score
The one thing I've learned in my 20+ years of playing is to just hold on to your gear. A lot of things I've owned before and sold I'm not buying again. Wish I had just held on to it.

That would be great if everyone could afford that...but like me, alot of people have had to sell off fantastic stuff that they loved just for survival. Most of us have had hard times financially. It's kind of hard to sit on a Fender Elite and a JCM 800 when you haven't got rent or food money. I would love to have those back...but getting rid of my equipment at the time kept me going...and eventually I could buy new Marshalls.

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
I play and have always played Marshalls along with some other amps, but my main amps have always been Marshalls.

khan

Reaction score
Same story here. 50 years to get my first Marshall. My first "real" amp was an Acoustic 134. A 4x10 combo that was loud and it was clean forever through the volume range (this was circa '76 or so. Then moved onto Sunn Concert Lead. Don't remember why I sold that. No real reason to. Then bought a Yamaha G100 head and Ampeg V4 cab (which I still have both). Dropped out of music for 30 years and then, heard a JCM800 in a friend's music shop. The cash couldn't get out of my hands fast enough. Wow, what aural bliss I'm in. So, forget how long it took you to get THE amp. Be happy you didn't go through your entire life w/o it. Now have fun!

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
I'm kind of the opposite end these days...

Got it right on my second amp in HS with my 4100. I picked up another 100w (non-master Superbass) and now it seems like all the "Awesome" cannot be unlocked at reasonable volumes (JVM doesn't do my kind of metal from what I hear) so it's back to the pedalchase :(

kamran

Reaction score
i was a lucky one. i dove into marshalls right away, mostly since i knew all of my idols had used them.
well, technically my first real (kind of) amp was a vox ad30 hybrid modeling combo thing. it was alright for my bedroom needs, but i soon saved up the $500 and bought my first marshall. got me an MG250DFX 212 combo. if i was smarter back then though i would have looked for a used DSL combo or something, but oh well. then about a year ago i got my JVM and my marshall MC412, the i got my avatar 412, and ive been a happy camper ever since!

ironlung40

Reaction score
Well, I took the short route. I bought a fender hot rod deville. Kept it for 3 days and returned it, couldn't get on with the gain so, I then bought a fender twin reverb "just for cleans" which I still own, and about 1 week later I bought a marshall jcm 800 4104 combo for my dirt. So, really you could say I started out on the marshall for dirt right away, with the exception of the 3 day trial on the deville.

Anyway, I soon moved from combos to heads, but the 800 is still my favorite amp. I since replaced the 4104, with the 2204, but then bought a 2203 too. It is my all time favorite amp. I've also got a 6100(which slays) and a 2210. I've owned all of the 900's too, and a vintage modern as well. For practice beside the computer, I rock a 65 watt 1st generation valvestate. I've never changed the preamp tube in it, and it's getting pretty darn old.

The furthest I've detoured from Marshall is with Orange. I really like some of those amps too. I've owned Rockerverb 100's, rocker 30's, OR120's, AD140's, and OR50's. My favorite of that bunch is the AD140.

Unless all of my current amps die, and marshall and orange start royally screwing up and become crap, I'll always play both. I really like to play marshalls with Oranges. They texture really well together.

:dude: