DSL100H vs JCM800 2203

• Thread starter Easton55
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Easton55

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a new head (to go along with the 1960AV cabinet) and would like to hear opinions on the two listed. I know what the 800 can do, but to purchase new, it's almost 3 times the cost of the DSL. And since the reviews I've read and the spec listings on the DSL state that it can reproduce the sounds of the 800, I'm not understanding how the price can be that different. It would make sense if the price cost was different the opposite way, but that's why I'm asking for enlightenment, lol. Help me out guys, and thanks as always! :yesway:

dreyn77

Reaction score
don't limit yourself to just these 2 items.

it will make your life difficult.

if there's a great marshall near you, then jump on that.

or just go for as new a product as you can get.
that's always a great idea for any generation.

67mike

Reaction score
Jcm2000 dsl nails the 800s imho.

Not sure of the Asian dsl.

Try out a vintage modern if you can, really nice amp as well.

Easton55

Reaction score
Yes, the 2000 was actually what I wanted to pick up a few years back, but plans had to change at the time and it never happened. Since it's not available anymore now, it's not an option anymore. And I am only looking at these two, no real interest in other models. Just not understanding the price difference the way it is. I would have thought the DSL would be the higher price, since it seems like it can do everything the 800 can do and more. Again, I know what the 800 is like, as I've used it lots, just never had one of my own. Was hoping some could give me more feedback on the DSL to see if it's really worth considering or not.

67mike

Reaction score
Yes, the 2000 was actually what I wanted to pick up a few years back, but plans had to change at the time and it never happened. Since it's not available anymore now, it's not an option anymore. And I am only looking at these two, no real interest in other models. Just not understanding the price difference the way it is. I would have thought the DSL would be the higher price, since it seems like it can do everything the 800 can do and more. Again, I know what the 800 is like, as I've used it lots, just never had one of my own. Was hoping some could give me more feedback on the DSL to see if it's really worth considering or not.

You will have to try them out.

I would not buy either Asian dsl or the reissue jcm 800.

I would buy a used 2001 or newer jcm 2000 dsl or I would buy a 1981 to 1983 jcm 800. Or a used vintage modern.

My 2 cents.

Marker

Reaction score
Today's 2203 reissue and today's Asian DSL sound just fine.

Today's gear will be tomorrow's vintage gear; some people feel the need of waiting several years before they can apreciate stuff.
Maybe Marshall should threat amps like good wine - make them and then let them rest for decades before selling it?

John 14:6

Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a new head (to go along with the 1960AV cabinet) and would like to hear opinions on the two listed. I know what the 800 can do, but to purchase new, it's almost 3 times the cost of the DSL. And since the reviews I've read and the spec listings on the DSL state that it can reproduce the sounds of the 800, I'm not understanding how the price can be that different. It would make sense if the price cost was different the opposite way, but that's why I'm asking for enlightenment, lol. Help me out guys, and thanks as always! :yesway:
The new DSL100H is a great amp and even Jeff Beck is using it as a main amp in his touring rig. I have a 40 watt version of the new DSL and it is all Marshall. It sounds better than my Marshall JVM did. It is not my Friedman Smallbox, but it is a great amp and it will do the JCM800 thing just fine. The DSL is a classic Marshall used by many great players over the years. :shred:

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
Today's 2203 reissue and today's Asian DSL sound just fine.

Today's gear will be tomorrow's vintage gear; some people feel the need of waiting several years before they can apreciate stuff.
Maybe Marshall should threat amps like good wine - make them and then let them rest for decades before selling it?

Not in all cases...
I mean...no matter what age it is or how long you wait....a 1984 Chevette or a Honda will NEVER be 'classic' cars.

Rockcity

Reaction score
I would think if he is asking about the new ones then he requires an FX loop which the old does not have.

I have few friends who always say: "New is better because it is new". They would always save money for new Marshall than buy used old one for (even double) less money.
Before someone choose to buy an amp, I would like to hear (Youtube) demo of his favorite sound and "I wanna sound like this" urge. Then we can discuss about models.
FX loop is nice sometimes. But choosing between greater sound and greater possibilities I would always choose the sound.

IronMaidenNutter

Reaction score
I prefer the Asian DSL100H over the JCM 2000. Played both... JCM 2000 looks nicer ill give you that but doesn't sound better. As for DSL V 800... 800 for me. Even if its the Reissue!

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
Just for the record, the 2203X is an awesome amp. I always wonder when I read comments about certain models if the person who is commenting actually played the amp.

To the OP, the new DLS100H is a very good product and you will be able to dial in some very good vintage tones and hot 800 style tones. It will give you years of service. Having said that, if you want an 800 tone and vibe, you will never ever regret paying a few extra bucks to get what you want. My advice is to try both. I have and I would not second guess buying a reissue or vintage 800 over the DSL100.

Easton55

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone so far. Just to add more info, the 800 tone is what I'm looking for, and I'm not interested in used equipment unless it's from a store, where any problems that could come up could be gone back to and dealt with. But since very few ever come up for sale around here, new is where I'm looking. Problem is, the 800 new is at $3100, vs $1300 for the DSL, which is why I wanted to get more info on it, since as I said earlier they say it can cover the sound of the 800. That savings is huge if it still gets me what I'm looking for.

IronMaidenNutter

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone so far. Just to add more info, the 800 tone is what I'm looking for, and I'm not interested in used equipment unless it's from a store, where any problems that could come up could be gone back to and dealt with. But since very few ever come up for sale around here, new is where I'm looking. Problem is, the 800 new is at $3100, vs $1300 for the DSL, which is why I wanted to get more info on it, since as I said earlier they say it can cover the sound of the 800. That savings is huge if it still gets me what I'm looking for.

From someone who owns a DSL and has played the 800... you wont get an 800 sound unless its from an 800 :)

Woods

Reaction score
Not in all cases...
I mean...no matter what age it is or how long you wait....a 1984 Chevette or a Honda will NEVER be 'classic' cars.

Depends on who you ask. There are fanboys and girls for everything. :lol:

I say DSL100H, then toss a choke and a classic tone OT in there and off ya go. OLD School marshall sound with new school tech.