Egnater Tweaker 40

• Thread starter mk2 steve
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mk2 steve

Reaction score
I've been looking at getting another amp at some point, my original plan was to get a JCM900 MkIII, but I tried an Egnater Tweaker 40 at GC and really liked it.

Does anyone on here have one? I've heard about reliability issues with Egnater, I need something that'll be tough and be able to be carried around, gigged and used regularly. If anyone owns one/has used one more than just testing it at low-ish volume in GC, it'd be great to hear about. I like that its relatively small and light (portable) but still powerful enough to use at practices / gigs.

I do still really want a MkIII though (maybe an SL-X if not, but I prefer the MkIII) but can't afford both lol :hmm:

thanks for any advice, opinions etc in advance!

shredless

Reaction score
I had one and loved it

I cant see them being unreliable

it was a very inspiring amp to play

very toneful for me and lots of different styles available

I thought long and hard before trading mine, but I prefer pure 100 watt marshall

scat7s

VIP Member
Reaction score
there are a bunch of us who own 15H versions. as far as i have heard, im the only one who experienced a "failure". though, im pretty sure mine was operator error.

i run mine hard and regularly, no issues, other than my own oversight.

kilsin

Reaction score
bought the 15 watter used, blew the output transformer right away. I suspect them to be cheaply made or bad quality control. possibly the previous owner screwed it up with mismatched speakers ohm wise. loved the tones, it just was not enough to keep up with the band. when i cranked it at GC it seemed like it would keep up just fine. so i sold it.

still considering the 40 watt version even if the transformers might fail. after they or it would be replaced i suspect the amp would perform well for many years with no issues.

i believe it has solo boost functions as well as the 2 channels. that could mean eliminating my 12x24" pedal board i lug around now. my jcm 800 head has so much wasted space. the head cabinet does not need to be that large. i realize most people want it to match their 4x12's in size. not me. the smaller the better. half the time i bring a 2x12" cab anyways.

also considering a small box 1987x or a fromel modded blues deluxe.

Logieberra

Reaction score
honestly the egnater will be more reliable then alot of modern marshalls IMO... I know terrible thing to say on a marshall forum but It is what I have found to be true

shooto

Reaction score
I have a Tweak 40...my main gig amp since they came out (although the JMD is getting a lot of love lately for that)...never an issue, totally solid, gigging at least 2x a month...usually 3x

I had the 15 before the 40 and truthfully, the 15 has a bit of mojo the 40 just doesn't to my ears....it still sounds great but just doesn't have "that" thing the 15 has...problem is, the 15 isn't loud enough for gigs, imo

Derek S

Reaction score
Just picked up the Tweaker 40 yesterday and think it's great. I needed a modern era amp HEAD that delivered great cleans for use as a pedal platform. The crunch/gain channel is pretty cool but I doubt I'll use it much, have other amps that do it better...but man, the cleans are lush, have character and have sum Fender magic to them. And pedals sound killer trough it! Sweet studio amp.

notryt

Reaction score
Tweaker 40 is great till the transformer craps out ( it is a common problem) If your warrantee period has expired. Egnator will not even attempt to repair it. I found out the hard way.. the replacement transformer runs 180 for a DIY repair. I found out another discerning fact that the only thing that can be repaired on this amp is the transformers.. all else is surface mounted parts . The 40 is a dream that can quickly and without warning become a nightmare.:mad:

SlaveUnit

Reaction score
Surface mouted parts? SMDs?
Twkr40044.jpg

Where?

Lots of pics of the tweaker 15 here:
http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Am...-shots-or-schematic-to-be-found/td-p/29184948

Last edited:

Moose Coghill

Reaction score
Moose Hut Studio - Amherst, VA 24521 - USA
I was surprised how clean and solid they are inside. I won't make comparisons that disturbed me or might offend others.

They - like some modern Marshalls - are using Chinese PTs that do not stand up over time. Mercury has the fix, which also beefs up the amp a bit. I run a pair of these in studio and live. It's the most versatile amp setup I've ever had (since the late '60s). Both of mine have been retubed with EL34s (must set bias for them), and get very Marshally tones along with a variety of flavors. Got my first one right after Guitar Center got them in. The second, within a couple of months. Love 'em.
2zybk29.jpg

DEMO:
MoNDo JellY KiNGs - Heartbroken
Cheers! :)

plexipaul

Reaction score
It's the PT that blows. At least in all reports I have seen, and the one (of two) that I have. They are under rated for the job they need to do. Mercury Magnetics carries replacements for both though.

ah thx... missed that in ur previous post. This is not good dammit. Finally found an interesting amp with gigable wattage that weighs only 10kg and now we have this. Have to cancel my order now :(

Moose Coghill

Reaction score
Ha! You will find the same problem true in many new Marshalls. It's those Chinese PTs.

FWIW, after replacing mine it has been rock solid at shows - and sometimes runs for the better part of a day in the studio without getting a rest. The second one that I bought shortly after has not had the issue yet - but if it does, I will replace the PT and carry on happily.

Cheers ;)

shooto

Reaction score
Ha! You will find the same problem true in many new Marshalls. It's those Chinese PTs.

FWIW, after replacing mine it has been rock solid at shows - and sometimes runs for the better part of a day in the studio without getting a rest. The second one that I bought shortly after has not had the issue yet - but if it does, I will replace the PT and carry on happily.

Cheers ;)

^ hey, my PT just went out on mine, what differences do you notice with the MM PT?

shooto

Reaction score
Subtle, but the tone seems a bit richer. Using less gain. Amp cranked straight without 'Hot' switch on is very responsive and dynamic.

... and again, I only run EL34s in both amps.
Cheers
:cheers:

interesting...do you mean you need less gain, or less gain now sounds better?

does it help tighten up the bass?...I like using the loose switch...but it can get a little to loose

Moose Coghill

Reaction score
I can run less gain now and still keep the sweet harmonics on tap. Except for the side(s) that I keep set for a true clean tone, I keep the 'Tight' switch on most of the time.

Also, since I like a strong mid for my main grind & lead tones, I use the 'mid-cut' switch on my clean side with the 'tight' switch off, and it gives me a real pretty & fat clean tone without having to fiddle with the amp during performance.
:)

jwebb1970

Reaction score
My Tweaker 40 also had its PT go kaput. Considered just going the Mercury Magnetics way. However, I spoke to Blad @ Egnater...on the first try, too! Looks like they have issued an update for Tweaker 40s-combos in particular. Involves an upgraded PT and a fan. Sounds as if newly made amps are/will be shipping and those under warranty will be upgraded. Mine is headed to SoCal tomorrow. Will let you all know how the amp is upon return