Flame top or plain???

• Thread starter mrjones2004x
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Flame or plain

• Flame

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • Plain

Votes: 27 50.9%

• Total voters

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
In the examples given by the op, I'd vote plain top. I don't generally like an overly flashy flame top, but there are some I really like. I have a subtle satin flame top that I love, along with a gold top.
Les Paul Body resized.jpg

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Personally, I hate book matching. It looks stupid. If you're going to use flamed or quilted maple, use a solid piece.

I prefer a plain top. In fact, I prefer dots, or no fret markers at all, over block inlays.
No markers?
I would be lost!! No idea where TF I would be on neck!! :D

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
I like both, but there's no option for that. :scratch:
Sometimes there is. In '78 r '79 a friend of mine got a brand spanking new wine red three pickup custom. In recent years I actually saw one more just like it for sale online. It had a three piece top, NOT haphazardly assembled like my '72 deluxe. The middle strip was about a five inch piece of bird's eye maple, flanked by two straight pieces. Pretty damn sharp.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
In the examples given by the op, I'd vote plain top. I don't generally like an overly flashy flame top, but there are some I really like. I have a subtle satin flame top that I love, along with a gold top.
View attachment 118510
Mmmmm 😍 classic player plus with p90s 2018 😆 I’ve been messaging someone trying to get one of these recently. Titanium saddles and no weight relief, richlite board. Pure machine

lespaul339

Reaction score
I personally don't care for a super flamed top. I don't mind a slight flame though. I just like the plain tops better. That being said, I do have guitars that have both. But for some reason the plain tops just look better to me. As far as a quilted top goes, I personally don't care for the looks of those.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
Mmmmm 😍 classic player plus with p90s 2018 😆 I’ve been messaging someone trying to get one of these recently. Titanium saddles and no weight relief, richlite board. Pure machine
Good eyes! Not many can ID that one. One year only model - it's very sweet! 9 lb 13 oz, so a bit hefty, but tone for miles! My favorite guitar.

Seven

Reaction score
I've had my share of nice guitars over the years and the nicest (pretty ones) received the least amount of play. Ones that break strings also received less play and even though that can be corrected, it comes down to less hassle and trusting a guitar.

Purchase whatever motivates you to play, but I will gladly take a plain guitar that plays like butter over something I'm afraid to scratch or dent for fear of having its value reduced. If I can't wear out the frets and make a few dents, I'm not trying hard enough.

Guitars are not furniture, they're tools to make music with. YMMV

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Good eyes! Not many can ID that one. One year only model - it's very sweet! 9 lb 13 oz, so a bit hefty, but tone for miles! My favorite guitar.
Yeah there’s one for sale near me but his trade offering wasn’t what I wanted really and don’t really have extra funds to throw at it for the minute. I love the fact they’re not relieved in any way. White binding instead of cream also is a nice difference to normal. I figured it would sound similar to my special tribute but maybe more beef to sound and prettier