Has Marshall build quality gone down the toilet?

• Thread starter alvagoldbook
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wanky

Reaction score
its hard to define but id say there are fewer reliability complainants about the JVMs compared to other PCB marshalls so, id say its actually improved. The JVM is as reliable and road tough as any of their handwired vintage amps.

the 6100, great amps, but plagued by reliability issues but were electronics problems unrelated to PCBs. the over heating issue on the 6101combo had nothing to do with PCBs but the way the amp was put together. the TSL had a footswitch issue but not directly related to the PCBs. The JCM2000s reverb broke down easily, im actually glad they've switched to digital.

but all these issues had nothing to do with PCBs, if you handwired an amp like the JVM of 6100 its would be less reliable and way more expensive, regardless of how skilled the the builder is, unless your willing to pay over 10k.

in terms of tone, since audio frequnices don't exceed 20kHz, PCBs should have little if any effect.

the only thing affecting the tone is quality of capacitors, resistors, tubes & transformers being used as well as the circuit design.

i honestly think the stigma about PCBs is older guys not liking the tone of modern amps. its not worse, its just voiced for a different playing style. thats why marshall released handwired reissues for you. ill take my JVM.

carrots

Reaction score
Interesting comparisons. I'm an owner of both Mesas and Marshalls. Quality wise, the Mesa is better in pretty much every way. That being said, they do cost more though. My only gripe with my Marshalls is that the footswitch on my TSL602 has broken down twice. It has been repaired and still works. Second, my Marshall Vintage Modern came with a dodgy loop return FET. Had to get it replaced. Crossed fingers, both cases will stay working at least during my lifetime...

I find this post to be insulting.. If a Mesa had a cunt I wouldn't fuck it :naughty:

:) :)

carrots

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I find this post to be insulting.. If a Mesa had a cunt I wouldn't fuck it :naughty:

:) :)

carrots

the old mark II was good w/ a strat & 808 if ya were playing blues outdoors or in an arena but nothing a Marshall couldn't do & did before.

Latest posts