If You Were In Charge At Marshall....

liontato

Reaction score
My wife will be 3 months pregnant day after tomorrow, so I'll be a first time dad this June :woot:

That wasn't a talent show … it was the halftime performance of the Thanksgiving Day football game a couple of weeks ago. Those performances are choreographed down to the last detail, and yes, that includes the amps / cabinets being displayed on stage. Like I said above, there might very well come a time where Marshall amps / cabinets are ghosts, but we're not there yet.
Dude had a full stack and a white Les Paul. That’s a lot to move in the short time they had. So they felt it was that important.

Congrats by the way!

Buzzard

Reaction score
Some of you guy's act like friedman insulted your mother. Guy made a mistake .At least someones keeping marshall's alive!

EADGBE

Reaction score
Maybe a 1987 style plexi with two 6V6 tubes. So we could play it at home without going deaf. I'd want a solid state rectifier. No saggy amps for me.

johan.b

Reaction score
Some of you guy's act like friedman insulted your mother. Guy made a mistake .At least someones keeping marshall's alive!
And some of you seem like you only came here to bash Marshall. ..You love your freidman, we get it...doesnt freidman have a forum? ..
J

PU239

Reaction score
Fact is none of us would be in charge because to be in charge your most important goal is profit. Sad, but you better do that or you won't be around for long.

el_bastardo

Reaction score
I think early on Jim was working more to get the "sound" right rather than get rich. The rest took care of itself.
He built his company on "the Marshall sound".
Cell phones & fridges don't sound very good for guitars.
Correct me if I'm wrong here, but wasn't Jim Marshall the business manager? He was a drummer/music store owner? He didn't actually design or build any amps, right?

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
Jim was thee Principal ... {* e - all of the above}

When Townsend, Clapton, Beck & Hendrix described what they wanted, Jim made it happen.

And it weren't refrigerators.

I am proud Marshall owner since 1982', really love my amps. But there is nothing coming down the pike from Marshall that im interested in.
Not interested in amps made in Indo-China.
The English sound should be made in England IMO, just like Ferrari should be made in Italy and not Ohio.

Last edited:

el_bastardo

Reaction score
When Townsend, Clapton, Beck & Hendrix described what they wanted, Jim made it happen
Yes I know that. But did he actually build any amps? Wasn't he just the boss and had a team of amp builders?

PU239

Reaction score
Yes I know that. But did he actually build any amps? Wasn't he just the boss and had a team of amp builders?

He never built or designed the amps, however he did tolex many of the heads and help build many of the cabinets. I have seen more than a few with his signature inside.

neikeel

Reaction score
I think that he is being rhetorical
Marshall is an iconic brand. As such it has its followers (old rockers, metal heads and new rockers who don’t go the peavey 5150 or Diezel, H&K,Mesa route). In the UK it does have an image of ‘Rock’ with all the baggage it brings. There are many alternatives for kids in new bands, many of whom don’t hugely care about the amp or cab. A bit like the punk era where people removed or black gaffer taped the logo to avoid the cliche.
I think that electric guitar still has its place two of my four children play, my daughter an Orange combo and my son an SVT and a tweaked Superbass.
Here a lot of venues have closed due to noise restrictions and stage volumes are low. My 18w 2x12 works in most venues and for nearly all other places my JTM45 seems to work. I sold my 100w heads - go figure.
The Metroplex seems to have all the features I like (and avoids things I hate like. 1000 knobs) including a good master volume.

rrguitar1

Reaction score
I think the friedman line is ok. Doesn' wow me at all. Maybe I'd have to really sit down with one for a while.

On the other hand, I've sat down with a nice amount of Marshalls over the years and love em. I just reserved a 1987x and have zero regrets. Second time around lol. This one stays with me till the end.
They can keep their friedmans.

Latest posts