If You Were In Charge At Marshall....

el_bastardo

Reaction score
Yep your right, that kid named Randy Rhoads was such a cheesy 80's guitar player??:facepalm:
I'm not saying he was cheesy, but he has been dead for over 30 years and he's not coming back and most new guitar players don't care...if they even know who he is.

kustombob

Reaction score
Yea the bar scene has been in decline since since Mad Mother s made DWI a bigger crime than murder. Plus the little pussy snowflakes nowdays would pass out at a real concert back in the day with real rock. But I will be playing Metal intill I drop and they will have to pry the guitar out of my cold dead hands. Rock ON

el_bastardo

Reaction score
Listen buddy, if your idea of a fresh guitar player is a guy that died 35 years ago then I rest my case.

That's not a knock on Randy Rhoads. He's a legend. Deservedly so. But it says everything about how dated your frame of reference is. It's not 1983 anymore. I know you probably want to keep living those glory days, but they're long long gone. Most new guitar players weren't even born yet in the 80s. They mostly don't care. Sure you're going to find the young kid that likes Led Zeppelin, but most of them don't even know who they are.

Ghostman

Reaction score
Well if I read this entire forum correctly, and put a few threads together, then it's the toilet for the whole industry. Marshall made their name by being recognized as the brand of choice for the top players back in the 70's and 80's. Since there's no longer any good music being made anymore, according to many heated discussions on this forum, then there is zero hope of bringing back that recognition to the main stream listeners.

No new guitar music = no new talent promo's.

So all Marshall can do, is keep up with the declining production and sales of vintage reissues.

Ghostman

Reaction score
I'm not saying he was cheesy, but he has been dead for over 30 years and he's not coming back and most new guitar players don't care...if they even know who he is.
I've been saying this for years here. The big names from the 70's through most of the 90's are completely unheard of by young listeners. Ask 100 teenagers on the street who Led Zepplin, Cream, or Van Halen is, and it would be a stretch for at least 5 correct responses. And maybe one would know two of those.

el_bastardo

Reaction score
I've been saying this for years here. The big names from the 70's through most of the 90's are completely unheard of by young listeners. Ask 100 teenagers on the street who Led Zepplin, Cream, or Van Halen is, and it would be a stretch for at least 5 correct responses. And maybe one would know two of those.
Yes, exactly. And that's normal. Kids aren't supposed to like or even know about the music of their parents, or in this forum's case, grandparents.

Ghostman

Reaction score
AUaE56i.gif

gjohnson

Reaction score
Change it from young"listeners" to young "guitarists" and your therory falls flat on its face.Now go back to your bedroom el bastardo and crank you 5w Peavy and dream about being onstage!

el_bastardo

Reaction score
So, let's recap: because I've stated an obvious truth about young guitar players, that means I play a 5w Peavey in my bedroom and dream about being on a stage? :facepalm:

JAC

Reaction score
How about reissuing JMPs and JCM800s? How much hate would that get me? I also dig the idea of bringing back the anniversary single watt monsters, someone mentioned earlier. I bet there is a market for that Slash five watter which has one EL34 in it. I have not forgot those of you who want 6100 reissues also. I like the YJM low number head reissued again. So tell me whose yo daddy?

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I was at a rockabilly festival a few months ago. Tons of bands, tons of cool guitars, tons of fantastic guitar players, tons of awesome tones....not one single Marshall. I personally love Marshall amps as much as everyone else here, but I can also see the reality surrounding the brand and the music typically associated with the brand. People that don't need the Marshall sound (the majority of guitar players) don't use Marshalls, and people that do want the Marshall sound don't have to use Marshalls.

Are you sure nobody wants to be associated with Marshall amps outside of 'cheesy 80s rock guitar'?

2017 Thanksgiving Day Game Halftime Performance:

4Horseman

Reaction score
I would make a mini plexi, like the mini jubilee. 2 channels, auto bias and built in boost. I think Marshall already has a great selection to choose from. They came close with Astoria, but a little to pricey and I like the look of an old plexi.

el_bastardo

Reaction score
Are you sure nobody wants to be associated with Marshall amps outside of 'cheesy 80s rock guitar'?
Yes, for the most part. I don't care what some lip-sync tv "performance" shows. Do you have kids by any chance? If you do, watch some Disney or Nickelodeon teen-kid shows with them. I've noticed for quite a while now that whenever there are "rock bands" on those shows they are backlined with Orange or Fender gear. Now obviously none of that is real. They're not really playing those kid-bop songs. But there is Orange at least making a visual presence for these neophyte potential guitar players. Orange and Fender seem to be enjoying a nice resurgence with hipster indie rock and modern alternative guitar music. No, these bands aren't shredding molten solos all over the place, but they're playing the shit out of their guitars and younger people like it without seeing Marshall logos anywhere. Some kid that is inspired by Muse or Grizzly Bear probably isn't going to go buy a JVM....and those bands way way outdraw Ratt these days.

If you consider this stuff objectively, it could be a very good thing for those of us that do like Marshalls. Maybe Marshall will downsize and/or streamline and stop trying to be all things to all people and be more focused on satisfying the fans they have left. Maybe.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
THose are just stage props lol

As I said, 'associated'. Marshall amps are not the cancer they're being portrayed as, nor are they relics of the past only to be seen on stage in photos from the past. I've seen Marshall amps / cabinets on the stage of a number of modern pop acts (props or not). We might find ourselves at a point where they disappear (along with others), but we're not there yet as has been suggested.