• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Let's see your Pedalboard

• Thread starter Sapient
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LPMarshall hack

Reaction score
Yet another stupid question!

what cables you guys using for your pedals in the loop?

I guess just two longer instrument cables (and of course patch cables if you have multiple pedals in the loop) because they have to reach around to the back of the amp?

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score

I guess just two longer instrument cables (and of course patch cables if you have multiple pedals in the loop) because they have to reach around to the back of the amp?

OMFG
isnt that illegal?
Running instrument cables instead of patch cords?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Patch cables and instrument cables are the same thing - unbalanced.
One conductor for line level signal and a ground/shield.
Just choose straight/right angle ends and lengths as needed.
instrument-cable.jpg

Speaker cables are balanced 2 conductor cables for an amplified signal.
speaker-cable.jpg

I use 5-10' cables for loop connections.
Depends on how tall your amp is, and how far from the amp you want to place your pedal board.
I keep my boards on top of the amps and just set them on the floor (sometimes) when using them.

Last edited:

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
Shit I didn’t know!

do they make long patch cables that can reach from your board on the floor to the back of your amp?

Like already stated, guitar cables and patch cables are the same type of cable. Patch cables are what you would typically use on the pedalboard to chain pedals together. They are typically about 6 inches long for pedal to pedal and some can be 1ft-3ft for using for example with a 4cm hookup or for going from one row to the next depending on how your board is setup. The guitar cables you would use to run the guitar to the board and front of amp are also what you would use for the loop. The same type of cable is used for both instrument and line level effects and loops as well.

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
That was a joke guys.

I thought only instrument cable for instruments,....and speaker for speaker. I thought there was a 3rd cable type for just signals and such too.

Good info

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a joke guys.

I thought only instrument cable for instruments,....and speaker for speaker. I thought there was a 3rd cable type for just signals and such too.

Good info
I actually just use 3' patch cables for my guitars, 'cause I usually just stand about a foot away from the amp. :jam:

PelliX

Reaction score
I actually just use 3' patch cables for my guitars, 'cause I usually just stand about a foot away from the amp. :jam:

I've plugged in a 25m lead so that I could walk around the house a little and judge the sound. The main bathroom is behind the studio - wowee, that was heavy. Anyone here actually use wireless? Not just for the guitar, but technically for the pedals/FX, etc?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've plugged in a 25m lead so that I could walk around the house a little and judge the sound. The main bathroom is behind the studio - wowee, that was heavy. Anyone here actually use wireless? Not just for the guitar, but technically for the pedals/FX, etc?
I've tried some of the cheapie Bluetooth sets a few times.
One set would only stay paired when the transmitter and receiver were less than a foot apart, not very useful.
Another set just quit working after a few months.
The one set that I still have is functional, but it's a PITA to keep them on a USB charger, and find them, and pair them, just to be able to move more that a 20' cord away from the amp, at which point you start to loose Bluetooth range, etc., etc.
I bring them along when I take my grab-n-go Shorty/Spark set-up over to the X's to jam with my son.
I just decided its easier to keep a 20' cord at each amp.

PelliX

Reaction score
Wow, Bluetooth - bold man. That would be bound to introduce latency, I would think. All the wireless mics I've dealt with have used regular RF, those have seldom let me down. I'm happy with cables, but I was curious as to whether trends had changed.

TheToneDig

Reaction score
This is my current Plexi pedalboard configuration used with my Fender 60s Vintera Stratocaster.

plexipedalboard2021.jpg

That's a Vox V847A wah on the right. The most important pedal on the board is almost the cheapest one on it. The Wampler Tumnus is a Klon Klone and very transparent. Warden is for single coil compression. Naga Viper is for hard rock. FX basically the tape delay and other features, spring reverb for 60s stuff and the Night Wire is the hardest pedal I have ever used in my life. It's a tremolo with dozens of possible configurations. I only turn that on when it asks me if I am feeling lucky. Well do ya PUNK! You can do Hendrix by hitting the Fuzzface with this setup. I keep the fuzz dial low and sometimes off. It's the volume on that pedal for him I think. Marshall jumped and dimed although to be honest it would better to have the high treb about 8 and the normal about 7. I also take out the jump if things are too muddy.

Last edited:

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
After months back deciding to pull my HX Stomp off the board and sticking my MM in its place I was in desperate need of a reverb. I just needed a basic but good sounding verb and finally decided on the JHS 3 Series. It's exactly what I wanted in a reverb. Had to remove my amp switch from the board but it's just as good on the side. (EDIT: This is on my ORI20H and everything in the front row is ran in the front and everything in the back row is in the loop. Pretty straight forward. :))

Since power supplies have been a recent topic. Everything is powered with a 2,000mA Godlyke Power-All daisy chain I've been using for the past 13 years. No noise or hum issues at all. :)

Ai7WxwG.jpg

Last edited:

TheToneDig

Reaction score
After months back deciding to pull my HX Stomp off the board and sticking my MM in its place I was in desperate need of a reverb.

I use to own a Metal Muff but I sold it. Not because it was bad but because I no longer had a use for it as I got enough distortion gear and so took the money. However, it is a great pedal especially the top boost. What I liked about it was that loads of people online had given their settings for various types of sounds, Sabbath, Metallica, etc. and it came pretty darn close to each one of them for a pedal at that price. Very versatile pedal. I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to spend heavily on a dirt pedal that can do a lot of stuff. That top boost is great. It was one of my first dirt pedals so of course, I did it all wrong for ages by going ALL THE GAIN!!! and ALL THE TOP BOOST!!! in addition to the amp, hahaha. So much mud I could have made a hut and pottery too at that.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I use to own a Metal Muff but I sold it. Not because it was bad but because I no longer had a use for it as I got enough distortion gear and so took the money. However, it is a great pedal especially the top boost. What I liked about it was that loads of people online had given their settings for various types of sounds, Sabbath, Metallica, etc. and it came pretty darn close to each one of them for a pedal at that price. Very versatile pedal. I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to spend heavily on a dirt pedal that can do a lot of stuff. That top boost is great. It was one of my first dirt pedals so of course, I did it all wrong for ages by going ALL THE GAIN!!! and ALL THE TOP BOOST!!! in addition to the amp, hahaha. So much mud I could have made a hut and pottery too at that.

Yeah it is a great pedal but lots of people are quick to wright it off. It shines its best with the gain at noon or lower and the top boost set really low as well. It's a great pedal for some 80's metal and thrash tones. It is fun to crank the gain sometimes as well. The 3 band EQ is also active as well so it has a pretty impressive range that a little turn of a knob can have a big impact.

It works decent as a boost as well, gain all the way down volume up and then shape with the EQ. It still adds some grit of it's own so it's a different type of boost from say a TS or clean boost. I like variety in dirt and boosts/OD so it's just another type to play with. I bought it shortly after it came out and have loved it ever since. I never checked out any videos with setting suggestions so I may need to do that some time. I know there's a lot of great hidden tones in it, it's not a one trick pony like people tend to believe. :)