Marshall Origin Series Amplifiers

Snowdogyyz

Reaction score
Ok- now I’m confused. Do you have to re-bias on the 50C after power tube changes or not? I’ve seen yes and no posted here and on TGP.

william embry

Reaction score
Got a chance to spend around 45 minutes on a Origin 50 combo this week. Plugged a new Les Paul Junior straight in. I thought it sounded pretty darn good. Expecting a 2203? You'll be disappointed. But it had a nice growl to it when pushed that most classic rock players would like. I could see it getting pretty dirty with the right O.D. pedals out front. The power scaling worked well, no paint peeling involved. Rolled off it cleaned up real nice too. I liked it.
I use Wampler Tumus to boost and fattin it up a bit and a SD1 if I want to get dirty or for a solo. In the loop I have a DD3 and a Keely Omni reverb. It sounds good to me. I'm enjoying this amp and can get any sound I need for classic rock and blues. Carry on rockers.

m1989jmp

Reaction score
Ok- now I’m confused. Do you have to re-bias on the 50C after power tube changes or not? I’ve seen yes and no posted here and on TGP.

I can confirm that Origin 50H 50W head does not have anything remotely similar to huge ceramic resistors in the power tube cathodes and has a bias trimpot, therefore it's 100% fixed (adjustable) bias.

There's a 1R resistor tied to both cathodes though, for measuring total bias current.

Also, the B+ is around 430VDC and screens at 415VDC with power tubes out, quite a big drop on the resistor that's there instead of a choke.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I can confirm that Origin 50H 50W head does not have anything remotely similar to huge ceramic resistors in the power tube cathodes and has a bias trimpot, therefore it's 100% fixed (adjustable) bias.

There's a 1R resistor tied to both cathodes though, for measuring total bias current.

Also, the B+ is around 430VDC and screens at 415VDC with power tubes out, quite a big drop on the resistor that's there instead of a choke.

Which resistor is the choke?

m1989jmp

Reaction score
Which resistor is the choke?

image.jpg
Sorry, I didn't pay much attention to it. But there are a couple of 2W (or 5W) resistors to the left of the filter caps. The one connected between screens (1k ceramic resistors) and B+ is the one.

Unless they completely ommited it and went with separate screen voltage.

Do you have more info?

Last edited:

FennRx

Reaction score
King of Tone yellow channel sounds phenomenal with the origin 50 head

Rick66

Reaction score
Hi all....just finished reading all 24 pages of this thread....I am probably going to pull the trigger on an Origin 20 watt head....how do you think this will sound paired with a 1965a cabinet with the original G10L 35 speakers?

ColonelForbin

Reaction score
Hi all....just finished reading all 24 pages of this thread....I am probably going to pull the trigger on an Origin 20 watt head....how do you think this will sound paired with a 1965a cabinet with the original G10L 35 speakers?

Here's 204 more pages of ongoing Origin amp discussion entertainment!.. Got so crazy recently the mods deleted posts and set some folks to forced ignore..

I had a 20h with defective speaker jacks (like the other 100% of the initial run; IE, all of the amps sold and currently available... I am still waiting on a 50h preorder placed in early April.... Amp sounds killer in the newer demos which is making waiting way worse..........)

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/marshall-origin.1906093/

ColonelForbin

Reaction score
I am still waiting on a 50h preorder placed in early April.... Amp sounds killer in the newer demos which is making waiting way worse..........)

Oh man; I heard from someone else on TGP who also has a pre order with Sweetwater; they are delayed till mid July now.

Well; shine on! Here's to the waiting..

houseofrock

Reaction score
.how do you think this will sound paired with a 1965a cabinet with the original G10L 35 speakers?
G10L35 are the best 10" speakers celestion ever made. With 4 of them it should sound good. Not quite as much low end as 12" speakers but really good just the same. The 1966 cab is a 2x12 version of the 4x10 1965 cabs. I had two 1965 cabs for a while. Regretfully I sold them to accommodate a full size head.

sjruvolo

Reaction score
FYI...M.F. message Origin 50H is "In stock and ready to Ship."

BowerR64

Reaction score
So what is the boost doing on the 50? is it adding a tube or what?

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
So what is the boost doing on the 50? is it adding a tube or what?

No, I don't think it's adding a tube, or even part of a tube...... I actually think if you follow the cables in some of the pictures from the gain pot across to the main PCB, it connects straight up to the transistor right there! :-O Yes, I think there's a possibility the boost is transistor based.... and eventually goes to the little circuit that connect to V1, with the diode in it, it's diode clipping I would imagine! It's like having a pedal circuit connect to your input......

It's a boost pedal