New Marshall CODE digital amp series

• Thread starter Moony
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PU239

Reaction score
nah, santiago is way too smart to get angry about all this bitching... it seemed to me he was looking forward to go to namm...

I spent a good while with Santiago yesterday. We went together to see Yngwie last night too. Talked about a lot of things. This morning was with him talking to celestion about speakers for a upcoming project. Will see him again in about an hour where I will have the Marshall booth to get a proper demo of the CODE.

Lets just say the forum is not saved under his "favorites" For a forum of Marshall fans there is a lot of negative, he knows, they all know. FWIW buyers are excited about the CODE, its what they asked for. Look for the video later tonight.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know if anyones posted these up yet:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YspNywjPbK8[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8woSKbS16_o[/ame]

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
If you do, please post your results. I'm thinking of doing this exact same thing with my JMD.

:yesway: Only available for pre-order over here at the moment. As soon as I can get my hands on a demo unit, I'll post up.

Rocktane

Reaction score
I spent a good while with Santiago yesterday. We went together to see Yngwie last night too. Talked about a lot of things. This morning was with him talking to celestion about speakers for a upcoming project. Will see him again in about an hour where I will have the Marshall booth to get a proper demo of the CODE.

Lets just say the forum is not saved under his "favorites" For a forum of Marshall fans there is a lot of negative, he knows, they all know. FWIW buyers are excited about the CODE, its what they asked for. Look for the video later tonight.

:yesway: Like!

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
At this price point, it is simple for me:

Marshall is planting seeds in young/amateur/starting players that they might loose to other brands. Sooner or later the target will decide which model in the Code he or she likes most and buy the real deal, the expensive Marshall he or she cannot aford yet.

This is my feeling as well. Nevertheless, I'm going into it w/an open mind, as I'm hoping it's something I can have some fun with. The price is such that you can't not take a look.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
lol i can already see topics about speaker upgrades...

Interestingly enough, I was actually wondering about that. Can you disable the speaker / cab sims in there? The head would make the most sense for me, but I'm curious as to how the speaker / cab sims will get along w/a real cabinet.

PU239

Reaction score
ive said that to, but noooo it's not possible because of impedance noise issues blahdiblah, without ever seeing a schematic or even tried it for that matter...

i've done it with various other equipment and it works just fine, indeed

I can be done, verified the safety of doing this with Santiago. No load required as long as you have a cable into the headphone jack.

PU239

Reaction score
Not nessasary to upgrade the speakers, they are fine. They are proprietary to the CODE. But yes you could upgrade if you must throw money away. Remember the 4ohms.

Moony

Reaction score
I like the new CODE series.
Should be a nice alternative beside Blackstars ID Core and the Line 6 Amplifi amps.

But I see them as low budget home-use only "practice" amps, not as a gear you would take on stage.

And I think, Marshall gets a little extra-hate this time because they had raised expectations, which they couldn't meet.

Just read this:

"52 YEARS AGO WE CHANGED THE WORLD - WE'RE ABOUT TO DO IT AGAIN"
"THE WAY YOU PLAY IS ABOUT TO CHANGE"
"YOUR WORLD IS ABOUT TO CHANGE"

Also their comments on Facebook like "Who better to model Marshall amps.. than us?"

So I ask one question:

"Really?"

:hmm:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Lets just say the forum is not saved under his "favorites" For a forum of Marshall fans there is a lot of negative, he knows, they all know.

I admit I can be negative towards Marshall. It's more like me wanting them to listen to their fanbase, not me trying to bash every single thing they do. I'm happy they did both the Mini Jube and CODE series, because I've seen people asking for this stuff.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
yes he talked about seeing yngwie again, must have been fun :)
looking forward seeing some noodling, but seriously, you should force santi to do some stuff on it ;)

I can be done, verified the safety of doing this with Santiago. No load required as long as you have a cable into the headphone jack.

Not nessasary to upgrade the speakers, they are fine. They are proprietary to the CODE. But yes you could upgrade if you must throw money away. Remember the 4ohms.

i'm not too familiar with class D operation, to be honest.
do they actually need a load like valve amplifiers? and does it have to be matched? or is the 4 ohm load simply the absolute minimum?

as for the speakers being used i'm curious... since i run a roland guitarsynth and acoustic stuff trough a JVM410H and an AFD100 in stereo, i opted to use the full range beyma 12AG100 (50-18000hz) and run a speaker emulator in the FX-loop for the electric guitarsounds... to get a bit more high end frequencies and headroom from the poweramps, i run 12AT7's in the phase inverters, with excellent results

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
No matching, no load. 4 ohm minimum so less output with 16 ohm.

that's what i was thinking too... they should market it as "adaptive attenuation" or something like that... most guitarists are ignorant enough to rave about such a thing :D:D:D

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Class D is basically a lot like standard solid state. Just a LOT more efficient. It's why you can have tiny-as-**** amps that are rated around 1000w - 2000w, and still weigh less than 10 pounds.

Which is another thing Im hoping for... 500w - 1000w class D CODE if they end up expanding the line,.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
Minimum load for the heads is 4ohms. No need for a load while using the headphone out.

V-Type

Reaction score
I admit I can be negative towards Marshall. It's more like me wanting them to listen to their fanbase, not me trying to bash every single thing they do. I'm happy they did both the Mini Jube and CODE series, because I've seen people asking for this stuff.
Yep seems they have been reading the input from users.
They cant please everyone but they sure made a lot of folks happy with the Jube and Mini Jube as well as the CODE seems too have what a few JMD enthusiasts wanted short of the JMD2.
If the Code sounds as good and is as useful a utility home,practice amp as my Spyder Im in.
I generally use All Marshall tones for most of what I play anyways.
:yesway:

PU239

Reaction score
Code will accept Class Compliant midi and audio interfaces. I think someone asked this.