SC20C or H: what am I getting for the ticket price?

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
If I go with this, what exactly am I getting? I know it's not hand wired, but am I getting the equivalent of a DSL40 type combo with a Dell motherboard inside? I want better quality than that, but I don't know what that would be. But I also don't want another cheap-@ss computer amp.

Tnx.

CroTone

Reaction score
You'd be getting a great sounding non-hw Marshall, with a vintage pedigree and a better than some pcb.
I can concur! I love this beast! It is a very versatile amp...sits right in between Plexi and more aggressive Studio Jubilee. Dime the master volume and tone down on the preamp and you can get bright and glassy Plexi tones...hit the preamp harder and perhaps add a boost like SD-1 and you have a clipping distortion party "a la" Jubilee. And all in the between.
Cleans up beautifully as well...you really can get it all. It is my personal fave of the Studio line Holy Trinity :) I also find it fascinating every time how Jim got it right...with only 6 knobs and interaction with your volume knob on a guitar - you can get any sound that you really need.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
I can concur! I love this beast! It is a very versatile amp...sits right in between Plexi and more aggressive Studio Jubilee. Dime the master volume and tone down on the preamp and you can get bright and glassy Plexi tones...hit the preamp harder and perhaps add a boost like SD-1 and you have a clipping distortion party "a la" Jubilee. And all in the between.
Cleans up beautifully as well...you really can get it all. It is my personal fave of the Studio line Holy Trinity :) I also find it fascinating every time how Jim got it right...with only 6 knobs and interaction with your volume knob on a guitar - you can get any sound that you really need.
I'm taking my time to research it, maybe try one if there's one locally. $2K is a lot to drop, and then I'd need to decide between the combo (all-in-one, but 90% of all combos buzz and rattle, and they're heavy), or the head (I have an Orange PPC112 (1x12 w/ Vintage 30 in it). Has an FX loop, but I wish it had reverb. My old JCM 800 2205 and 2210 heads had reverb, so to have to use outboard gear is a letdown. Then again, it may not make a difference, since with JCM 800's, I usually goose the mids with an EQ in the front about 3-6 dB @ around 700-800Hz. If necessary, I'll cut some lows in the front too to tighten up the low freq distortion, and then I'll use another EQ in the loop to add some clean lows back in and maybe a touch of 4K for cutting through a mix. I usually use a dealy in the loop too. But when I just want it all stripped down, not having reverb leaves it a bit dry.

Last edited:

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
I think using a 1x12 defeats the purpose of having a head. At that point, jsut go with the combo. I've seen people say...well, I've HEARD them say, and I've SEEN them write...that a 20W head is undersized for a 4x12. I guess I can see both sides of that argument. Of course you can always plug teh 1x12 extension cab into the combo as well (I think). A 2x12 seems prefectly sized. Reverb (availability of) is a must, be it external or built-in.

:coffee:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
If I go with this, what exactly am I getting? I know it's not hand wired, but am I getting the equivalent of a DSL40 type combo with a Dell motherboard inside? I want better quality than that, but I don't know what that would be. But I also don't want another cheap-@ss computer amp.

Tnx.
Can you handle an effects loop that drops volume when you turn it on or will it make you crazy?

Moony

Reaction score
My thoughts on getting the head is for options

The head has less options than the combo.
You can use the combo with any external cab - but the head hasn't got a internal speaker built in.

Of course I get what you mean.
I'd say the difference between the combo and the head isn't that big talking about dimensions and weight.
So if someone could imagine really using the 10" speaker of the combo I would go for it.
You can plug it into a 4x12 cab too if you want full blast.

If you never liked 10" speakers, go for the head.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you handle an effects loop that drops volume when you turn it on or will it make you crazy?
Nope, not for $2K. Deal breaker right there. I use the FX loop to boost solo volumes, so that's counter-productive.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Nope, not for $2K. Deal breaker right there. I use the FX loop to boost solo volumes, so that's counter-productive.
Yes in that case loop is left ON all the time. Turn up volume a touch. Not an issue unless you switch loop off and on between songs. Not footswitchable. So just leave it on like I do.
And boost in loop.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Vinsanitizer, there are detailed pics of the guts of the SC20 in link below, @coolidge56 took the pics if I remember correctly.

There’s a lot of pages but the pics are big so you could scroll fast.

Last edited:

Sir Don

Reaction score
@Vinsanitizer, there are detailed pics of the guts of the SC20 in link below, @coolidge56 took the pics if I remember correctly.

There’s a lot of pages but the pics are big so you could scroll fast.

A lot of pages is an understatement. 312 to be exact.