SC20C or H: what am I getting for the ticket price?

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Solid State

Reaction score
I am absolutely against buying Studios for nearly 2 grand. I bought mine brand new for 1187 and it's on the high end at that price. It is lacking way too much body to warrant a 2K price tag. Seriously, get on Reverb and get a used 2204 for the money they're trying to peel off of you. Or get a Kemper.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Is it possible to mod the SC20H to use 6550, 6L6, or KT88 tubes, like the full-sized JCM 800 head can use?
No mod needed. Cathode bias. So plug n play. I am running KT88s currently in mine.
To me it doesn't matter what stuff cost in the past, even relatively recently. If one cannot afford it, wait n see if and when it goes down. If it doesn't, save up n buy what you like.
I realize this is a recent trend but those who said Forget it at $1299 may now regret not buying it.
Life too short for those regrets.
For me.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
No mod needed. Cathode bias. So plug n play. I am running KT88s currently in mine.
To me it doesn't matter what stuff cost in the past, even relatively recently. If one cannot afford it, wait n see if and when it goes down. If it doesn't, save up n buy what you like.
I realize this is a recent trend but those who said Forget it at $1299 may now regret not buying it.
Life too short for those regrets.
For me.
As always, well said!

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
That would make a little more sense (not much) but he didn't say the Studio amps were undersized he said "20w amps" were undersized. No he believes that a 20w amp cannot power a 4x12 cab.
Yeah and given the same speakers it is but 4dB quieter than a 50 watt, not counting bass response etc. The 20 watters look decent on a horizontal 2x12 too.

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
I am absolutely against buying Studios for nearly 2 grand. I bought mine brand new for 1187 and it's on the high end at that price. It is lacking way too much body to warrant a 2K price tag. Seriously, get on Reverb and get a used 2204 for the money they're trying to peel off of you. Or get a Kemper.
The $2K price point is the "new" price since the inflation. Before that, the JCM 800 SC20's were maybe as high as $1,200, I don't recall, wasn't paying attention. The last Marshall 4x12 1960AV I bought was $900. Now the price is $1,900. Everything has gone up, and will likely continue to, until the economy eventually breaks down. At least, that's the way I'm perceiving it. So buying brand new gear at inflated prices right now is not a very wise choice, because the resale value in the next few years could be a total dump. If you have to buy new gear right now, you have no choice but to pay the price. I've decided against buying higher-end musical gear at this point. Things like pedal and whatever, no big deal. But I'd still like an SC20H, so stay tuned. ;)

Moony

Reaction score
So buying brand new gear at inflated prices right now is not a very wise choice, because the resale value in the next few years could be a total dump.

Here in Europe you can get all the Marshall Studio amps for under a grand.
So I see how guys in the US are debating wether it's worth buying a Marshall or not.
If you look at Thomann webshop you'll notice that nearly all popular Marshall amps are sold out, some with estimated delivery times for a few months. I'm not sure how accurate that is.
Fact is that the demand is very high and Marshall can't keep up with it.
I don't know if they even reduce the production because they can't get enough components, tubes, transformers etc. and even wood. It's just an overall shortage.
And in the end it's just a company who wants to earn money, I guess they make their big bucks with audio entertainment devices like those headphones, blue tooth speakers etc. - not with guitar amps - these days.

So I'm not sure if that will really happen that resale value will drop in the next few years.
But as I've said it's understandable to hesitate buying a 20W Studio Marshall for nearly 2000 bucks.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Here in Europe you can get all the Marshall Studio amps for under a grand.
But as I've said it's understandable to hesitate buying a 20W Studio Marshall for nearly 2000 bucks.
Between inflation and difficulty getting parts, the taxes and duties on foreign made products enters as well.
Mesa product is very expensive in Canada. The Recto Mini 25 watt was 999 when I got mine about 7 years ago.
They are now $1729 Cdn.

Moony

Reaction score
Mesa product is very expensive in Canada

Ha! Mesa was really expensive in Germany too.
And now since Gibson took over it's cheaper than a few years ago.
Which tells a lot how much the former distributor has upcharged - it wasn't just that "they come from the US".
They also distribute the Ibanez guitars and those were always well priced - probably because Ibanez won't let them sell the guitars far more expensive than in other countries.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I'm afraid in the US you are being bent over. They're not even bothering to use vaseline

Solid State

Reaction score
The $2K price point is the "new" price since the inflation. Before that, the JCM 800 SC20's were maybe as high as $1,200, I don't recall, wasn't paying attention. The last Marshall 4x12 1960AV I bought was $900. Now the price is $1,900. Everything has gone up, and will likely continue to, until the economy eventually breaks down. At least, that's the way I'm perceiving it. So buying brand new gear at inflated prices right now is not a very wise choice, because the resale value in the next few years could be a total dump. If you have to buy new gear right now, you have no choice but to pay the price. I've decided against buying higher-end musical gear at this point. Things like pedal and whatever, no big deal. But I'd still like an SC20H, so stay tuned. ;)
I'm full of it anyway. I know how inflation works and across the board, they're going to push it until there's recession and then they'll lower prices by some small percentage and I'll go into a 'better buy it now!' frenzy. And they'll have won again. lol

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm full of it anyway. I know how inflation works and across the board, they're going to push it until there's recession and then they'll lower prices by some small percentage and I'll go into a 'better buy it now!' frenzy. And they'll have won again. lol
I believe you are correct, and I hope it doesn't take us all the way to a depression. The Plan is completely tear down the system in order to rebuild it. The tin foil hats are coming off, it's getting harder to deny.

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe you are correct, and I hope it doesn't take us all the way to a depression. The Plan is completely tear down the system in order to rebuild. The tin foil hats are coming off, it's getting harder to deny.
Yes, that exactly what’s going on here in the US! There’s one political party running everything now in the US, and that is their plan!

“To fundamentally change the US” that’s what’s going on. Anyone recall where we first heard those words,… back in 2008,… a new comer running for President of the US used those exact words!

And this new 2020 Administration is attempting to continue to reach for that goal. But the masses are waking up, hopefully it’s not too late.

Sorry @Dogs of Doom, I’ll shut up now.

ken361

Reaction score
With Biden in charge we are screwed lol 😂 gas keeps going up and supposed to have tapped into the reserves.

Old Punker

Reaction score
Nope, not for $2K. Deal breaker right there. I use the FX loop to boost solo volumes, so that's counter-productive.
I've heard this volume drop doesn't happen at all at higher volumes. As others have said, I just leave the FX loop on all the time so there is never a volume change. And certainly don't worry about this amp not being loud enough!

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've heard this volume drop doesn't happen at all at higher volumes. As others have said, I just leave the FX loop on all the time so there is never a volume change. And certainly don't worry about this amp not being loud enough!
I leave the FX loop on all the time as well, whether I'm using FX or not - the amp seems to run a little quieter that way. Besides, I don't see why using the FX loop, even if the volume does drop, would be a whole "deal breaker", the thing is LOUD AS FeK! It is OUCH loud on 4!! Compared to my 20 watt Peavey Classic 20 Mini Head, the Peavey on 8 cannot touch the SC20 on 4. Not kidding. The SC20 sounds more like a 50 watt amp to me.

So as far as whether there IS a volume drop that diminishes as you turn up the master volume? I can't get the master up high enough to know, without I blow out my freakin' eardrums. Even still, it's not the volume that means the most to me, it's the tone... at practically any volume.

Last edited: