SC20C or H: what am I getting for the ticket price?

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Justin Whitstine

Reaction score
$2035 EU Pounds converted to US Dollars = $2,494.99
Which is a lot closer to $2699. Still crazy its cheaper over there than in the country they are made in.

As to the person who said they don't know how we afford stuff. Sweetwater payment plans is the answer for everyone I know. Takes years to pay a single piece of gear off. Crazy times.

Off topic maybe, but this is what I see when I look for Gibson LP Standard 50's GT, (US made product):
US, $ 2699: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson/Les-Paul-Standard-50s-Electric-Guitar-Gold-Top-1500000274112.gc
EU, $ 2035: https://www.thomannmusic.com/gibson_les_paul_standard_50s_gt.htm?reload=1

ken361

Reaction score
For me, the SC isn't close enough to the real 800--too gainy and modern--and has no usable clean. The SV demands an attenuator to get its tonal range without blasting volume, and I've never played an attenuator that didn't darken the tone.

So for $2500 + $500+ (for an attenuator) you can get both for the functional range of that $700 DSL. Or not.

In any case, I owned my DSL long before the SC and SV, expecting they would replace my DSL, but after months of comparisons, those are gone and I've still got my DSL. It's actually become my baseline. Amp has to be better than that to me to be worth buying. A LOT have failed.
I like my combos just crank them up. Would like to test a 50 watt 800 in my basement. My vintage Modern plays good at low or high volumes

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Its called price gouging. They have laws against that sort of thing in other countries... but not here.
Yeah, it can't be because every single thing on the planet costs 25-40% more than it did 2yrs ago, that's just a coincidence. We need to have the government regulate how much private companies charge for finished products, that's got to be the answer.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Delicieuxz

Reaction score
Is it possible to mod the SC20H to use 6550, 6L6, or KT88 tubes, like the full-sized JCM 800 head can use?

Justin Whitstine

Reaction score
Yeah, it can't be because every single thing on the planet costs 25-40% more than it did 2yrs ago, that's just a coincidence. We need to have the government regulate how much private companies charge for finished products, that's got to be the answer.
Yeah inflation really got out of hand. Well... that's my 3 cents.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Something I did notice with the combo when I played one a few month ago, you can dime the pre-amp to get some good crunch, my 2204 with the pre-amp dimed is very muddy, the size of the SV20C cab and speaker probably has alot to do with this and is a definite plus in buying one of these. :yesway:

Justin Whitstine

Reaction score
When I first saw it had a 10" speaker, myself probably like all of you were like what? NO! It must be a 12" speaker! But "someone on the internet" said it helps keep it from getting muddy. Less bass to roll off vs a 12" / those frequencies get cut out in the mix anyway.

So thinking about it in that context helped it make a lot more sense to me. I think you might be onto something.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first saw it had a 10" speaker, myself probably like all of you were like what? NO! It must be a 12" speaker! But "someone on the internet" said it helps keep it from getting muddy. Less bass to roll off vs a 12" / those frequencies get cut out in the mix anyway.

So thinking about it in that context helped it make a lot more sense to me. I think you might be onto something.
Yeah I think lots of people were shaking their heads seeing the Studio combos, (except the Mini Jubilee), come with a 10” speaker! I recall wondering why Marshall chose a 10” speaker for these combos, they claim they tried many different speaker combinations and the 10” V-type was the best sounding of the bunch. :hmm:

To my mind if you’re selling a low to medium powered, single speaker combo for $1500, (ATT, it’s $1950 now), you have got to put a 12” speaker in it or it will fail in the marketplace.

On the other hand the folks that have these 10” speaker combos absolutely love them. Two members come to mind right away, @ken361 and @purpleplexi, if I’m not mistaken.

I don’t know, it seems to me looking at this amp on paper, it doesn’t look good and I think some potential buyers may just pass over it and move on to something else, because it has a 10” spk.

And also the SC20 and SV20 combos don’t blend or compare well with the 3rd amp in the Studio line, because the mini Jubilee comes with a 12” Greenback. :shock:

Soooo,… :shrug:

Justin Whitstine

Reaction score
Had no idea the Jubilee came with a 12" greenback. Now I'm scratching my head. You think the Jubilee would have a v-type, vintage 30, or one of the older 65ish watt speakers, since that's most likely what most jubilees were paired with in the wild... You'd think if they were gonna do a 12" greenback it would be in the SV20. Shrug:shrug:

Moony

Reaction score
They weren't released at the same time.
The Mini Jube is a bit older than the Studio 800 and Studio Plexi.
They changed the label to Studio 2525 later on to add it to the new Studio amps range.

I guess the biggest downside for most people is that the SV20 and SC20 combos only got a 10" speaker instead of a 12" like the 2525 combo.