Should I sell my tele??(for another guitar)

• Thread starter BlackCharvel87
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Should I do it?

• Total voters

BlackCharvel87

Reaction score
thanks everyone. in the end i didn't sell it, i had a seller fall through, and the guitar i was going to replace it with wasn't as great as it initially sounded, so change of plan! tele is staying, going to keep hunting for the 8 string, and fund it with some other stuff i REALLY don't use. (Y)

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Hey everyone
So.. I am having a bit of a dilemma…

I have a wicked Japanese tele that is the lightest guitar I own. I got it for an amazing deal many moons ago, and I really like the esthetics and feel of it.
The problem is… I don’t reach for it. I play my other guitars significantly more. It could be because I generally play pretty heavy rock/metal in low tunings, through high gain amps, and it’s just not the guitar I go for
I also am looking to hold off from making the guitar herd that much bigger.. again…

I have an offer from a potential buyer that is a great offer, and I am considering putting it towards an 8 string (I’ve wanted one for a while). It would cover the majority of the 8 string.

I guess my concern is, this tele is otherwise perfect, and I’m worried I’ll regret selling it.

So I suppose my question is
Would you sell it and just buy something you actually think you’ll play?
Or would you sell something else??

Thanks!
You'll probably regret it but you might as well sell it anyway. Unless it's unique in some way, then you can always get another one. That you don't play it is reason enough. So unless you love the looks and can't bear to part with it, sell it and buy new gear.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
I'm in a similar position with my Telecaster (60's Baja). Have been considering moving it. I even subbed lead guitar in a modern country band this summer and used a Strat along with a Les Paul instead of a my Tele. I tried the Tele, but the Strat won.
Anyway...I'm hanging on to mine until I find a reasonable substitute, which would be another Tele. I've thought about maybe downgrading to a Classic Vibe, selling the Baja and keeping the cash difference.

Thing with a Telecaster is, it's its own thing and even though I don't play it often, when I do....it's got it. Since getting my first tele about 5 years ago, I'll never not own one, even though it doesn't get as much play.
I've got a Classic Vibe sunburst Tele and I love it. Got it for $400 off Craig's List.

X2203xman

Reaction score
Teles can have a really cool overdriven sound.Maybe the best clean tones.Def has it's place and can really cover almost everything.Also can survive the apacolypse,be a decent boat oar,one hell of a club,and could handle a nuclear explosion and still be in tune.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I voted keep it (if you like it) and sell something else. Every time that I sell a Telecaster, I end up buying another a month or two later.

Just picked up this on last Saturday.

image3.jpeg

Slogfest

Reaction score
The fact that you are questioning whether you should sell your Tele or not indicates, to me, that you should. You'll know it when a guitar is a keeper, and when it is you'll never even question whether you should keep it.

giblesp

Reaction score
Haven't picked up either of my strats nor my Jazz Bass for about a year. Just playing my Les Paul right now.

However, I know full well I'll be picking up those other guitars, and also that they are irreplacable. From wkat you said, I'd say keep her.

Latest posts