• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

So, What's The Consensus On The Marshall Origin? Owners, Chime In!

• Thread starter doomsdaymachine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

doomsdaymachine

Reaction score
This amp has been on/off of my radar, numerous times. Finding one to play has been tough.

I'm primarily interested in the 20H or 50H, (I have a 4x12).

First question, is the 20 non-bias adjustable, and the 50 is?

Second, how tight can they get with a boost? How would it fair as a clean platform, and use of a higher gain pedal, like a BE-OD? I'm more into vintage tones, but thrash territory.

This video is the best I've heard. Simply kills, but, as mentioned, He's boosting it. I'd really like to hear that set up with a Les Paul, like I play.

FennRx

Reaction score
The 50w head is the way to go. The sweet spot is around 7, so it gets LOUD.

This amp is also really clean, so it takes pedals like the SD-1 and Guvnor really really well.

I think it’s worth the money

freak

Reaction score
I played through the 20 watt combo. Definitely needs to be pushed with something, imo. I've heard they take pedals really well. Maybe in the future I will pick something up. sounded good, but it does need to be pushed.

bad565ss

Reaction score
I spent about 45 minutes on a Origin 50 combo with a new Les Paul Junior straight in.
I really enjoyed the amp. It had nice tone and just enough break up to work real good with the Junior.
A Les Paul with Buckers would get warmer for sure. I'm sure this amp would be very good with any basic OD out front. I have too many amps or I would probably grab some variation of it myself.

xeizo

Reaction score
I'm sure they are pretty good, I went the safe route and bought a DSL20HR and are very happy. The DSL covers more territory without extra gadgets - which is what I wanted. Simple playability. I can live with if the Plexi-sound is inferior, even though I really like it's breakup and how it's split between the channels. Certainly better than any of my modelers :)

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
I'm sure they are pretty good, I went the safe route and bought a DSL20HR and are very happy. The DSL covers more territory without extra gadgets - which is what I wanted. Simple playability. I can live with if the Plexi-sound is inferior, even though I really like it's breakup and how it's split between the channels. Certainly better than any of my modelers :)

:hbang:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
This amp has been on/off of my radar, numerous times. Finding one to play has been tough.

I'm primarily interested in the 20H or 50H, (I have a 4x12).

First question, is the 20 non-bias adjustable, and the 50 is?

Second, how tight can they get with a boost? How would it fair as a clean platform, and use of a higher gain pedal, like a BE-OD? I'm more into vintage tones, but thrash territory.

This video is the best I've heard. Simply kills, but, as mentioned, He's boosting it. I'd really like to hear that set up with a Les Paul, like I play.

I got the ORI20H, its a nice head but requires pedals to get any gain its a clean amp. The reason I don't own one any more is its not a home amp, even at the lowest setting it is too loud for home. The sweet spot for me was put it in 1 watt with the volume max'd and gain on 7, really nice edge of breakup tone but the volume was too loud for home play but would make a great gigging amp. So check it out if you can, I see no reason for the 50 watt the 20 is freaking big and loud sounding on its own, I guess it depends on where you gig. So currently I opted for the DSL20HR, its got better volume handling for home play plus 2 channels and reverb. The foot switchable fx loop on both amps works really well.

Arc Anjil

Reaction score
I use my 50h through an Egnater 412 loaded with T75s. My pedal board has a Wampler Plexidrive Deluxe, a wah, and a Catalinbread RAH. In the FX loop I use a Digitech RP360, primarily for a chorus, flanger, and reverb.

My house is in the woods of a rural acreage subdivision. I can crank it up. And I do. Only way to go with this amp, AFAIC. For quiet playing at night, I plug the RP360 into my CODE 50 and use headphones.

Buzzard

Reaction score
Something"s wrong with that amp in vid. It's out of tune!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the ORI20H, its a nice head but requires pedals to get any gain its a clean amp. The reason I don't own one any more is its not a home amp, even at the lowest setting it is too loud for home. The sweet spot for me was put it in 1 watt with the volume max'd and gain on 7, really nice edge of breakup tone but the volume was too loud for home play but would make a great gigging amp. So check it out if you can, I see no reason for the 50 watt the 20 is freaking big and loud sounding on its own, I guess it depends on where you gig. So currently I opted for the DSL20HR, its got better volume handling for home play plus 2 channels and reverb. The foot switchable fx loop on both amps works really well.

Paul? You weiner!LOL

I totally understand. Too loud is too loud. Doesn't work then.

I'm trying to turn my Girls brothers girlfriend into getting him the new DSL20CR. I bet that sounded confusing. Anyways I really feel it will do him right. Only problem is she's not use to what these amps cost. She was thinking $200? I tried to let her know that is short but let her down gently...?

In her defence she has not a clue but a great heart. Hope he gits it for XMASS!

Last edited:

SlyStrat

Reaction score
I've owned MANY Marshall's and the Origin 50 is perfect to me.
I have the head and combo.
I use a couple different MIAB pedals with it.
I prefer pedals now over attenuators or most MV amps.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've owned MANY Marshall's and the Origin 50 is perfect to me.
I have the head and combo.
I use a couple different MIAB pedals with it.
I prefer pedals now over attenuators or most MV amps.

Well that's cause yer an intelligent player. However I'm a pedal player too and I have an amp that stands on its own. So gat daem good!

it's the exception to how I normally push an amp where I want it. I'm with ya!

doomsdaymachine

Reaction score
Wonder how it would fair with a BE-OD for the heavy stuff?

Loud, I can't be. I'm currently using a beastly 120 watt Peavey Triple XXX, but it does well at low volume. I can crank the master, and dial in volume with the channel volume. Plus, I use an RP1000 and can monitor the volume pretty well with the expression pedal as a volume.

dro

Reaction score
Had my 20h a while now, and for what it is I like it. Sits on top of 2 1x12's stacked. Moves a lot of air. Not a JTM45 and 4x12's . But nice. Much prefer this over the similarly priced American/Mexican amps.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Paul? You weiner!LOL

I totally understand. Too loud is too loud. Doesn't work then.

I'm trying to turn my Girls brothers girlfriend into getting him the new DSL20CR. I bet that sounded confusing. Anyways I really feel it will do him right. Only problem is she's not use to what these amps cost. She was thinking $200? I tried to let her know that is short but let her down gently...?

In her defence she has not a clue but a great heart. Hope he gits it for XMASS!

I know, I'm a wiener LOL. Sales buddy, warm her up to the DSL100HR at $899, then switch gears to the DSL20CR at $599, $599 wont seem so bad any more, then sell her on saving another 15% off on the holiday sales! Out the door for $524! She will be happy she spent $524 instead of $899 LOL.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score