• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

So, What's The Consensus On The Marshall Origin? Owners, Chime In!

• Thread starter doomsdaymachine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BftGibson

Reaction score
You have a lot of patience! I had the same issue and was probably the first one to ship mine back to Sweetwater. I wasn't too upset about it because I didn't care for the sound of the amp. I was expecting it to sound more like a 1987X I had previously owned some years ago...…...not even close. I can get more 1987X ish tones with my DSLs.
I think the Origin series will go down as the big Marshall let down of 2018. Sounded good on paper but just didn't quite pull it off.
so right about the DSL, made my 40cr into a head and it can pull off a lot of what we are all looking for..my plexi is sitting on idle since i did the head conversion

jeffb

Reaction score
Try Mullard EL34s...they sound rich and not harsh IMO!

I have messed around with a few sets of the Mullard RI before. They are a little too laid back in the mids for my tastes but who knows, they may be awesome in this amp.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I have messed around with a few sets of the Mullard RI before. They are a little too laid back in the mids for my tastes but who knows, they may be awesome in this amp.

If you have a pair lying around, give them a try and let me know what you think!

jeffb

Reaction score
If you have a pair lying around, give them a try and let me know what you think!

No. I don't have them anymore. The last set I had one die.Threw the other away.

And I stand corrected, the Marshall branded JJ is the EL34II. Identical construction, and basically identical tone (my year old ones were smoothed out when pushed). They just need some breaking in. Still, I'm going to try something else...unsure what at this point.

ken361

Reaction score

And I stand corrected, the Marshall branded JJ is the EL34II. Identical construction, and basically identical tone (my year old ones were smoothed out when pushed). They just need some breaking in. Still, I'm going to try something else...unsure what at this point.
Using a pedal to push it into higher gain? like EVH, Metallica ect. I would like low and high gain stuff I have to try these amp when I can

jeffb

Reaction score
Using a pedal to push it into higher gain? like EVH, Metallica ect. I would like low and high gain stuff I have to try these amp when I can

I don't see why not with the right pedal and pickups in your guitar. Gain and Master up full and some fairly hot pickups, it's already approaching classic EVH levels of gain.

MarshallDog

Reaction score

They are not the smooth sounding at all. Didnt like my Origin 50C with stock tubes. Put the mullards in an bam...bliss. JJs are one of my least favorite tubes.

Last edited:

jeffb

Reaction score
They are not the sMe sounding at all. Didnt like my Origin 50C with stock tubes. Put the mullards in an band...bliss. JJs are one of my least favorite tubes.

I don't know what yours shipped with, but mine are the EL34IIs. The standard JJs EL34s have a different construction and tone. I played my set back to back. The only difference is mine sound like they are broken in compared to what shipped with the amp.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I don't know what yours shipped with, but mine are the EL34IIs. The standard JJs EL34s have a different construction and tone. I played my set back to back. The only difference is mine sound like they are broken in compared to what shipped with the amp.

Mine where the JJEL34IIs and JJ and Shauguang pres. they are all go now. I have some real JJEL34IIs in stock that I ha e tried in amps and dont like them at all. Same for the JJ and Shauguang 12AX7s...just not my bag of tea.

jeffb

Reaction score
Mine where the JJEL34IIs and JJ and Shauguang pres. they are all go now. I have some real JJEL34IIs in stock that I ha e tried in amps and dont like them at all. Same for the JJ and Shauguang 12AX7s...just not my bag of tea.

Yep. I need to roll some too. This amp requires a different approach than the DSL.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Just got the 50H. These are really nice vintage sounding Marshalls and crazy low prices. Perfect with a loaded pedalboard.

Exactly...not for the HIGH GAIN PLAYER!!!! All these guys get one then bitch about it not having enough gain...its a GD low gain vintage sounding amp!!!!! And stop comparing it to a higher gain 2 channel DSL 40CR...two different animals!!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score
So..I guess I should elaborate

It came today so I didn't get as much time as I would like to play it and then make a clip.

10 Observations

1) It does not sound like the 1987x I played for over 10 years
2) It's a helluva lot closer to that sound than any new design Marshall has made in the past 3 decades+ except for the Vintage Modern.
3) It is bright in a good way, and has a very "round" sound. Not compressed, just more pleasant than the harder crunch of modern Marshall amps (900 and beyond). More vintagey.
4) It is much more touchy-feely,bouncy, and dynamic than the DSL. Not stiff.
5) The attenuation function is pretty good at the middle setting...low power, eh..neutered as you'd expect, but playable.
6) It is a LOUD 20watts when you get it into the distortion zone.
7) Reacts significantly to pre-amp tube changes. I could get it more modern DSL like with some tung-sol and svetlana pre's. But I didn't like it. Very bright and fizzy with the new sensors. I ended up with just changing out the 83s in V1 for a 83MG.
8) The master needs to be cranked or nearly so for it to get into the classic rock zone. 3 oclock..If you set the master low, it sounds thicker/bigger throttling the pre-amp back some and hitting the boost instead of cranking the pre. Built in boost seems better than hitting the front with my EP booster.
9) Edge of breakup/Malcolm crunch tones are SO MUCH BETTER than the DSL, and pick attack actually does something. Here is where the Tilt really helps. Setting it closer to "low input" on lower gain settings really keeps things a little more girthy and less icepicky than cranking bass (flubby) or reducing treble/presence (muddying up wound strings). A little goes a long way.
10) Unsure about the power tubes. They are standard JJ EL34s. Kinda harsh when full throttled. Will probably try my EL34IIs next time.

Really great review! I am also using the 83mg, I have a set of three and can't decide if I like it better in just V1 with what I assume are Chinese in V2 and V3 from the factory, or the mgs in all three positions. The slightly lower gain gives more play in the breakup settings, more "in between" range, but I think the Chinese ones might give a bit more classic Marshall crunch.

As for the speaker jack issue, I have the head but also don't care. Most cabs have a link output anyway. I'm not giving this thing back!

Reaction score
They are not the sMe sounding at all. Didnt like my Origin 50C with stock tubes. Put the mullards in an band...bliss. JJs are one of my least favorite tubes.

Are you using Millard ri in all positions? I've never tried them, but all the other Russian ax7s I've used had a kind of "papery" sound to me, if that makes any sense. I went through some nos tubes years ago, but I've decided not to mess with those anymore, real money pit at this point!

James Henderson

Reaction score
I played through the 20 watt combo. Definitely needs to be pushed with something, imo. I've heard they take pedals really well. Maybe in the future I will pick something up. sounded good, but it does need to be pushed.
Doug Aldrich lately has been digging on those 20 watters.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Are you using Millard ri in all positions? I've never tried them, but all the other Russian ax7s I've used had a kind of "papery" sound to me, if that makes any sense. I went through some nos tubes years ago, but I've decided not to mess with those anymore, real money pit at this point!

Yes Mullard reissues in all positions...I love it!!!

spacerocker

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't buy an amp you have to use pedals with in order to get a sound!.......

Last edited: