So, What's The Consensus On The Marshall Origin? Owners, Chime In!

• Thread starter doomsdaymachine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
Been reading through a recent publication today, The Guitar Magazine, they have a article and review of the Origin 20 Combo, good little read, there a vid on youtube from it also, the reviewer states he's had a JTM30 in the past, and thinks this is very similar!

But on the first few pages there is a section on 10 classic Marshall tones from 10 different acts, there's Kossoff, Hendrix, Clapton, Angus, Duane.... ect... But one thing it keeps saying about most of these tones has been to listen to the sound of the amp, how bright it is, and clean, and different to the bass-y, saturated, sound of the more modern Marshall's that we've all been conditioned to hear first...

Well, I reckon these might be the type of tones Marshall are actually going for, nevermind the metal. Do you all reckon the Origin series can pump out these choons? :)

So, I thought I would have a listen to each of the recommended tracks from each artist.... So here's the first, Eric Clapton, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers - Steppin Out

And Hideaway

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Been reading through a recent publication today, The Guitar Magazine, they have a article and review of the Origin 20 Combo, good little read, there a vid on youtube from it also, the reviewer states he's had a JTM30 in the past, and thinks this is very similar!

But on the first few pages there is a section on 10 classic Marshall tones from 10 different acts, there's Kossoff, Hendrix, Clapton, Angus, Duane.... ect... But one thing it keeps saying about most of these tones has been to listen to the sound of the amp, how bright it is, and clean, and different to the bass-y, saturated, sound of the more modern Marshall's that we've all been conditioned to hear first...

Well, I reckon these might be the type of tones Marshall are actually going for, nevermind the metal. Do you all reckon the Origin series can pump out these choons? :)

So, I thought I would have a listen to each of the recommended tracks from each artist.... So here's the first, Eric Clapton, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers - Steppin Out

And Hideaway

The common denominator there is PAF pickups. So many use bassy, gainy, high output pickups today.

slide222

Reaction score
I don't think you can beat a strat tru 60's sounding amps , higher treble , higher range of dynamics ,clear distintion between notes , bassy thick heavy distortion is a one way road to one style of playing
not my bag baby , I like a humbucker in the bridge on a super strat , but not anywhere else , been playing strats and strat devived guitars since I was 13 ,56now so you won't change me , but plz don't attack me If you completely dissagree -if we all liked the same things in life we would be clones , and we're not

I was looking at the orgin 20 combo myself and then a mini jubilee combo became available in my small town , so I never have tried one . I haven't read all the origin/DSL posts but the origin looks the better buy with less problems than the new DSL

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
:2c: I finally did what I said I was going to do,I took the effects loop send into the front of the 40c ,damm it was fnng big,40c was on green crunch , I got the sag in the notes like my buddy Delfin’s 1959!! This is what I recall his amp sounded like :agreed:

ken361

Reaction score
Anyone bias these yet? Are there test points? I like 50 watts of power, I like the DSL's 40 for cranking on the weekend but I cant crank it during the week which OK for me. I may go with 20 watt combo maybe. Or goose it with a pedal.

K2JLX

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone bias these yet? Are there test points? I like 50 watts of power, I like the DSL's 40 for cranking on the weekend but I cant crank it during the week which OK for me. I may go with 20 watt combo maybe. Or goose it with a pedal.

There are test points on the 50. “CN32”. There’s a 1 ohm resistor to ground connected to the cathode pin, this will allow you to use your DMM in mV to set the tube bias.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Ken I have no first hand experience with the 20 but I heard that it is self bias, but I am not positive

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Well that's cause yer an intelligent player. However I'm a pedal player too and I have an amp that stands on its own. So gat daem good!

it's the exception to how I normally push an amp where I want it. I'm with ya!
Man! I basically came here to find out if the OR50H could, at this price, be a Marshall for grownups. Everything you're saying here amounts to a resounding NO. If an amp needs pedals it sucks. This whole "pedal platform" thing is a crock. Sure I use pedals, lots of em but I sound like a guy with an AC30 with some pedals. Not a guy with some pedals. Might as well get a Behringer P.A. head. I think I'll stay away from this amp.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Man! I basically came here to find out if the OR50H could, at this price, be a Marshall for grownups. Everything you're saying here amounts to a resounding NO. If an amp needs pedals it sucks. This whole "pedal platform" thing is a crock. Sure I use pedals, lots of em but I sound like a guy with an AC30 with some pedals. Not a guy with some pedals. Might as well get a Behringer P.A. head. I think I'll stay away from this amp.

Sucks...maybe for you but for others its ass kicking good.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Sucks...maybe for you but for others its ass kicking good.
All I want to know is does it do a good crunch rhythm or sort of "Lead 1" with your guitar on 10 (lead 2 of course being an overdrive of your choice) and no pedals with trademark Marshall voicing. Not a lot to ask from a Marshall I think. Sue me - I like the Marshall sound. If it's all about pedals I don't see why anyone would care what amp they have.

Reaction score
Not the greatest sounding amp in my opinion. Have to have the gain knob pulled out and on maximum to get any depth or warmth out of it and at that stage it muddies up the sound. It does have a flat response and a clear tone the tone just isn’t good. Here is my demo video

shooto

Reaction score
I dig my 50H...nails ac/dc out of the box...needs drive pedal to go further which is no big deal...who doesn’t have a bunch of drive pedals laying around?....Supro Drive is the closest I found to keeping the vibe of the amp only more...

Latest posts