So, What's The Consensus On The Marshall Origin? Owners, Chime In!

• Thread starter doomsdaymachine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Don't need a pedal for acdc crunch
Well here's a novel concept; I got off my arse and went out and tried one. Not the amp for me. Tried a 50C. With a strat I was immediately met with beautiful Marshall clean tone - something Marshall doesn't get nearly enough credit for. Gorgeous. But most of the overdrive lies in the master volume. So unlike my AC30C2 I can't walk into a bar and plow through Outa Mind Outa Sight by Wilko for example, with the right amount of OD and overall Volume. The 1987x is just too expensive. Hmmmm.......maybe a DSL?

ken361

Reaction score
Well here's a novel concept; I got off my arse and went out and tried one. Not the amp for me. Tried a 50C. With a strat I was immediately met with beautiful Marshall clean tone - something Marshall doesn't get nearly enough credit for. Gorgeous. But most of the overdrive lies in the master volume. So unlike my AC30C2 I can't walk into a bar and plow through Outa Mind Outa Sight by Wilko for example, with the right amount of OD and overall Volume. The 1987x is just too expensive. Hmmmm.......maybe a DSL?
power stem works really good, the amps a lot better after a few hours on it and remove the 2 chinese tubes. Single coils do sound sweet to me and hums:) dsl are cool too

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Man! I basically came here to find out if the OR50H could, at this price, be a Marshall for grownups. Everything you're saying here amounts to a resounding NO. If an amp needs pedals it sucks. This whole "pedal platform" thing is a crock. Sure I use pedals, lots of em but I sound like a guy with an AC30 with some pedals. Not a guy with some pedals. Might as well get a Behringer P.A. head. I think I'll stay away from this amp.
Maybe you should try a JVM, I am loving mine and I choose to use the SD1! Don’t have to and nobody is telling me that I should or shouldn’t, sorry for you the amp does not work in your favor :cheers:

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Yes. Jvm 205h crossed my mind. Maybe just find a nice crunch setting and leave it. A lot of groovy tech wasted though. I'd love to find a used one to try, see what the noise complaints are about. After all I use pedals and play around neon beer lights with poor AC so it would have to be pretty bad to bug me! Hah!

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
A DSL will certainly have more gain which it seems you need. It will also sound a bit more modern.
Kinda. At least more than the Origin (but god what beautiful tone! Argh!) Tried the modern AC30? Go to the "Devil's Setting" (vol, treb & bass on 6) throw an overdrive mostly just for solos) phase and delay up front and that's all the gain I need. But the AC is 74 lbs. and I'm not doing that anymore. I just need a nice top for my 2x12 cab. Can't afford a 2204 or 1987x so I've been looking at Egnater too. Low resale value and stellar reviews.

jericbrazier

Reaction score
Origin > any non Jcm DSL
Better for you.
I’ve had a JCM2000, and have a ‘15 DSL40C. I’d take the DSL all day. IMO, the lead channel sounds way better (after a speaker swap). I play heavy rock like Tool, AIC, GnR, etc, and the Origin wont get close gain wise, but I can get close to Origin on my DSL’s crunch channel.

jericbrazier

Reaction score
Anyone bias these yet? Are there test points? I like 50 watts of power, I like the DSL's 40 for cranking on the weekend but I cant crank it during the week which OK for me. I may go with 20 watt combo maybe. Or goose it with a pedal.
If it were me I’d go with the 50. Tons more headroom, and in reality 50 watts isn’t that much louder than 20 watts. To double the volume output of a 20 watt tube amp you’d need 200 watts.

jericbrazier

Reaction score
A DSL will certainly have more gain which it seems you need. It will also sound a bit more modern.
I’ve gotten my DSL to sound a lot less modern by lowering the bass, cranking the mids, and adjusting treble, presence, and resonance to taste. The green crunch channel does a mean 800 impression when there’s some air moving through the speakers. Add a Tubescreamer, and KERRANG:dude:

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Better for you.
I’ve had a JCM2000, and have a ‘15 DSL40C. I’d take the DSL all day. IMO, the lead channel sounds way better (after a speaker swap). I play heavy rock like Tool, AIC, GnR, etc, and the Origin wont get close gain wise, but I can get close to Origin on my DSL’s crunch channel.
Yes I saw today a 2000 dsl. Great used price. Did one gig with a friend's and it was painfully bright. Said to be easily modded but I'm terrible with circuit boards. Might actually go there.

jericbrazier

Reaction score
Yes I saw today a 2000 dsl. Great used price. Did one gig with a friend's and it was painfully bright. Said to be easily modded but I'm terrible with circuit boards. Might actually go there.
They hold their value better; being that their assembled in England. I’ve got to say though that I much prefer my DSL40C to the jcm2000 dsl I used to have, obviously ymmv. I also thought it (JCM) was too bright. The dsl40c’s bright, but I find it much more manageable. I also like the dedicated resonance control, and although people bitch about the reverb, who buys a Marshall for it’s reverb? If you went deep, ambient reverb, get a Twin. IMO, the reverb’s perfect for adding some space.

whitecloud

Reaction score
Not the greatest sounding amp in my opinion. Have to have the gain knob pulled out and on maximum to get any depth or warmth out of it and at that stage it muddies up the sound. It does have a flat response and a clear tone the tone just isn’t good. Here is my demo video

Is this a Parody? And if so what/Who?

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I’ve gotten my DSL to sound a lot less modern by lowering the bass, cranking the mids, and adjusting treble, presence, and resonance to taste. The green crunch channel does a mean 800 impression when there’s some air moving through the speakers. Add a Tubescreamer, and KERRANG:dude:

The green channel always sounded the best to me on that amp.