• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

So, What's The Consensus On The Marshall Origin? Owners, Chime In!

• Thread starter doomsdaymachine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Toby Krewbs

Reaction score
I bought my OR50 head for a specific purpose.For a Robin Trower Tribute that has prolly played its last show for a while. It has been perfect for that with Fulltone pedals and a small 4x12 cab with two V30s in it.In addition it has seen variety band gigs outdoors using a 1x12 open back cab with a 400 watt Eminence Delta speaker in it.Using a Boss GT100 in the loop this configuration kills for any style from 50s jazz standards to Mettalica etc...these are fine amps that will do anything a skilled player wants to do. If you are an amp distortion guy look elsewhere.If you use clean to mid gain edge of breakup these amps will do that better than any DSL.Marshall nailed it with this one.

ken361

Reaction score
I bought my OR50 head for a specific purpose.For a Robin Trower Tribute that has prolly played its last show for a while. It has been perfect for that with Fulltone pedals and a small 4x12 cab with two V30s in it.In addition it has seen variety band gigs outdoors using a 1x12 open back cab with a 400 watt Eminence Delta speaker in it.Using a Boss GT100 in the loop this configuration kills for any style from 50s jazz standards to Mettalica etc...these are fine amps that will do anything a skilled player wants to do. If you are an amp distortion guy look elsewhere.If you use clean to mid gain edge of breakup these amps will do that better than any DSL.Marshall nailed it with this one.
A guy on TGP is struggling with his strat and the Origin for some reason, brittle bright sounding I dont know I think these sound great with single coils. He likes it with humbuckers he's keeping all the high end turned down:( told him to change the tubes

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
not bad for a white boy:)
Yea brother I have been meaning to put up another clip with the V , but I am beat after the commute home from work, typically a 2 1/2 hour drive, with the traffic! See if I can get out of here early and put one up today!! Cheers Mitch

SlyStrat

Reaction score
I love my Origin 50 head and combo.
I use a Barber Direct Drive Compact with mine (not a tone sucker).
Best tone I've ever had and I've owned almost every Marshall.
I also put a Celestion Redback in my combo.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Not an origin clip but thi is what I am trying to tie together for a proper V clip , had a problem uploading this the dang internet was a bit slow :blah:

Reaction score
For the record the entire top section of my pedals in that video are completely out of the signal chain. There’s not much tone suck. But yeah I need to clean up my pedalboard. Idk the origin sounds ok it doesn’t sound bad necessarily it’s a Marshall but for me the DSL clean channel sounds much much more rich and full and deep and 3 dimensional. I may record a video through my DSL setup with the identical setup so you can hear the difference.

Also obviously a huge factor is the origin has no reverb whatsoever it’s a very dry sound which is actually what you want but for some reason if I try adding reverb with pedals even in the FX loop it distorts quite unpleasantly. Add to that the fact that you have to have the two button Marshall footswitch plugged in to even use the FX loop at all and it’s one more reason for me to dislike that amp

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
For the record the entire top section of my pedals in that video are completely out of the signal chain. There’s not much tone suck. But yeah I need to clean up my pedalboard. Idk the origin sounds ok it doesn’t sound bad necessarily it’s a Marshall but for me the DSL clean channel sounds much much more rich and full and deep and 3 dimensional. I may record a video through my DSL setup with the identical setup so you can hear the difference.

Also obviously a huge factor is the origin has no reverb whatsoever it’s a very dry sound which is actually what you want but for some reason if I try adding reverb with pedals even in the FX loop it distorts quite unpleasantly. Add to that the fact that you have to have the two button Marshall footswitch plugged in to even use the FX loop at all and it’s one more reason for me to dislike that amp
Sorry that the amp does not work for you, but I still stand firm in my belief, that the amp works for me ! Cheers Mitch

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score

Axis39

Reaction score

To each his own, I still love my Origin 20C. But, we each have our own little preferences.

I'm interested in your statement about it distorting with reverb... I run a Catalinbread Topanga into the front end of mine, it doesn't distort at all. If I want to run the Topanga a little hot to push the front of the preamp, it is anything but unpleasant. It bums me out that you are not having success...

But, hey, we all like different stuff.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Not the greatest sounding amp in my opinion. Have to have the gain knob pulled out and on maximum to get any depth or warmth out of it and at that stage it muddies up the sound. It does have a flat response and a clear tone the tone just isn’t good. Here is my demo video

Stuff it with a LP and look out!!!

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Still waiting! I have bought and returned two Origin heads already; due to the widespread defective speaker jack issue plaguing all Origins sold to date.

I placed my order for #3 and hoping Marshall FINALLY gets this sorted out. Folks who recently received shipments; from Sweetwater, Prymaxe, etc have still been receiving defective units; as recently as shipped yesterday; arrived defective today.

Sweetwater claims their next shipment is arriving tomorrow and should be the corrected / new design.

So far; anyone here who has an Origin has a defective amp. Guaranteed.

Check your back panel. The defective unit's center and right speaker jacks are both labeled 8 ohms and only power one cab at a time.

If you haven't already, contact your retailer and inquire about what they intend to do. They are banking on you not realizing your amp is defective...

New back panel looks like this:

o8mEsd3.png

NyTwo6nl.jpg
Uh oh.... better check. Mine got here yesterday. Guess what? there's a sound I don't like when I turn it off - a strange combined 'pop' and 'chirp'. ANY IDEAS?????