the build it yourself thread:

• Thread starter diesect20022000
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
List some things you've built yourself (guitars,pedal boards,FX,cables etc) and if you're UP to it the process, why you built it etc.

I'm getting ready to build a pedal board or more specificaly 3. I know woods are tried and true but, i'm thnking of making a plaster mold and building mine from strong polymor materials. i figured weather resistant and spill proof etc would come in handy not to mention less weight etc.

I need 3 because i have up to three different pedal/rig needs depending on what project/studio i'm in and style. I always maintain simplicity (as in less crap and short signal) when i can.

my main one will consist of one of each of my needed fx: a clean boost,noise suppressor and a delay. Number two willhouse two delays,two OD's and two noise supporessors. and the final one will be a boost and a noise suppressor.

Last edited:

brp

Reaction score
I built my 2x12" Eminence isobaric subwoofer. It kills down to 35hz.

I used to make all my own cables, including rack looms. I don't really need anymore.

johnfv

Reaction score
Back in the 80s I built my own rack based custom effects switching system and footswitch board. It had stompboxes (dynacomp, tube screamer, TC boost, TC chorus) but also programmable rack delay and a Fender tube reverb. It had true bypass for each effect and an active splitter buffer for running to 2 amps. I still have the damn thing, I might have to take some historical photos :)

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
oh! Cables! Of course. Thanks brb, you reminded me.
Yes, cables, THAT I make my own.

I wish I could make my own tubes and strings though :-/

johnfv

Reaction score
You made me take a trip down memory lane with this thread and I had to go check. My old rack unit is buried somewhere but I was able to dig up the footswitch pretty fast. Big honking multi-pin cable for switching and LED power (remote switching, no audio through it). Yes, that is a door threshold :)

With the remote switching and true bypass it sounded really sweet...

Attachments

• Pedalboard.jpg
    Pedalboard.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 119

thetragichero

Reaction score
a bunch of dirt boxes: jfet overdrives, brian may treble booster, ampeg scrambler + jfet boost in one box with two footswitches (this is the only one still on my pedalboard, use it every gig), ge fuzz face that quit working
assembled a tweed deluxe clone in what used to be a raven combo amp
oh yeah and my pedalboard, which is a scrap of plywood with a bunch of velcro on it

carnada

Reaction score
Back in the 80s I built my own rack based custom effects switching system and footswitch board. It had stompboxes (dynacomp, tube screamer, TC boost, TC chorus) but also programmable rack delay and a Fender tube reverb. It had true bypass for each effect and an active splitter buffer for running to 2 amps. I still have the damn thing, I might have to take some historical photos :)
u fucking geniouss

thinlizzy96

Reaction score
pics ASAP!

MM54

Reaction score
In the middle of slapping together a BYOC Mouse (Rat clone). Looking for the right attachment to brush the aluminum case with right now.

Brushed aluminum = aluminum + 250 grit then 400 grit sandpaper. Put it on a block and keep your lines straight and you're golden for a brushed finish that isn't rough. Found this out through working with blank aluminum amp chassis :lol:

newbies

Reaction score
I made a les paul copy and a 4x12 back in school about 9 years ago as my final pieces. The les paul came out pretty sweet considering....... however just a little tip........ dont make a guitar out of black walnut unless you have a crane to pick the sucker up!!! damn thats some heavy timber!!

impetus maximus

Reaction score
i built a 2x12 with two greenbacks weighing in at 80lbs (36kg) :eek2:.

cost me the speakers, wire, jacks, handles, feet/bumpers, and some time.
i'm swapping the greenbacks for higher wattage speakers.
cranked my 2204 puts out around 90W:Ohno: i cooked one greenback very quickly.

===
with the help of my brother TradAmpGuy we built a 1Wattish FireFly (self split push-pull).

tradampguy-albums-firefly-build-picture5306-firefly-build-8.jpg

tradampguy-albums-firefly-build-picture5307-firefly-build-10.jpg

it sounds like a cranked Marshall at bedroom levels. lots of crunchy goodness. i freakin love this amp.
i want to fix/mod my JCM 2204. it sounds stale compared to the FireFly.
maybe a PPIMV :hmm:

===
i swapped out the dirty Op-amps for some Hi-Fi ones in my GE-7 EQ.
also swapped 7 capacitors to help with tone while on, as well as buffered.
now instead of a hiss box, i have a pedal i can actually use!

next build is a Echoplex pre-amp stomp box :naughty:

Blacque Jacque

Reaction score
I built an analogue tuner as a college project, it worked but it wasn't overly accurate.

Mid 80's I built my own "rack multi fx" by stripping down a bunch of pedals & slapping them in a 1U case, built a regulated DC supply, switchable master volume & remote switching unit too. It worked reasonably well & wasn't hideously noisy so I was pretty chuffed.

Since then I've built several bitsa guitars, flight cases and so on. I always make my own cables these days. I converted my MIDI foot control to phantom power so I only need a single cable to the front of the stage.

I've also started building a rack mount wah with remote pedal & switching, but as I have no need of a wah in a punk band, it's kinda shelved at the moment.

When I get some time (yeah right !!) I'm hoping to build a 2204 clone of some kind, but that's some way off just yet.

Latest posts