The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

aftrshok99

Reaction score
Well I went and busted out the soldering iron last night and did the C19 mod, easy as pie. Everyone who has done it was right....wow, so much better now. Played with it for a while like that then changed out my tubes.

V1: Mesa Boogie Spax7
v2: Mullard 12ax7 reissue
v3: Mesa Boogie 12ax7
v4: JJ ECC83s

Not sure if I should use one of the other ones in v4 or just leave it how it is?

The amp really sounds good now and I can actually use my treble and resonance, before I couldn't.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Well I went and busted out the soldering iron last night and did the C19 mod, easy as pie. Everyone who has done it was right....wow, so much better now. Played with it for a while like that then changed out my tubes.

V1: Mesa Boogie Spax7
v2: Mullard 12ax7 reissue
v3: Mesa Boogie 12ax7
v4: JJ ECC83s

Not sure if I should use one of the other ones in v4 or just leave it how it is?

The amp really sounds good now and I can actually use my treble and resonance, before I couldn't.

Awesome and glad you like it. Makes me wonder why Marshall designed that channel the way they did:scratch:

jeffb

Reaction score
Has anyone made a headshel for the 40c? That would keep the writing right side up?

Codeman

Reaction score
Awesome and glad you like it. Makes me wonder why Marshall designed that channel the way they did:scratch:

I was listening to "Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest the other day, and I was trying to get a similar sound. I noticed that they had a good amount of bass in their guitars but it never sounded muddy because the top end was easy to hear. My guess, is that Marshall wanted to allow people to cut through the mix, but still have a good bass.

With the mods that I've done I'm really glad that the amp reacts this way because I have so much bass and low mids that I need the treble on 12 o'clock or higher. For BtL, I had to turn down the presence from 1 o'clock to 10, but after that it sounded great.

To be fair though, for a 1x12 cab the stock EL34's are pretty light on the bass so maybe my theory doesn't hold water?

Codeman

Reaction score
Has anyone made a headshel for the 40c? That would keep the writing right side up?

I think someone has already made a headshell. You should use the search feature and use head or headshell as your search terms and you will probably find it.

ken361

Reaction score
I was listening to "Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest the other day, and I was trying to get a similar sound. I noticed that they had a good amount of bass in their guitars but it never sounded muddy because the top end was easy to hear. My guess, is that Marshall wanted to allow people to cut through the mix, but still have a good bass.

With the mods that I've done I'm really glad that the amp reacts this way because I have so much bass and low mids that I need the treble on 12 o'clock or higher. For BtL, I had to turn down the presence from 1 o'clock to 10, but after that it sounded great.

To be fair though, for a 1x12 cab the stock EL34's are pretty light on the bass so maybe my theory doesn't hold water?
depends were your playing the amp, my house there's not that much bass and im not near a wall keep in mind. At my girls condo theres lots of bass! I do that song a lot also it sounds great with tube and speaker mods:) treb at 3 and presence

Codeman

Reaction score
depends were your playing the amp, my house there's not that much bass and im not near a wall keep in mind. At my girls condo theres lots of bass! I do that song a lot also it sounds great with tube and speaker mods:) treb at 3 and presence

The room is a bedroom with wood floors with the amp about 6in away from a wall. Bass is on 6 and Res on 6. I like me some bass...

Oh! If you really want to have some fun, put the amp in a corner of the room and put a dresser on the same wall next to the amp. Carpet makes it better too.

Just like in business: location, location, location. :cool:

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Heads up guys, if you find you want more mids and a bit less base (same eq setting) try some Svetlana EL34s, it will bring the mids out. For me it was to much but I put th m in my Jubilee and it brought it to life meaning not as dark

BanditPanda

Reaction score
My Svetlana EL34's arrived yesterday. Hvaen't got them placed yet.
This reveiw about them from The Tube Store ( no affiliation )
The Svetlana EL34 is the perfect tube for classic rock. The midrange is very pronounced and the high end is smooth. The bottom end response is not the best, but in a guitar amp it becomes a moot point. In the test amp the mids just rip through the mix. No guitar player is going to get lost in the mix using these tubes. These tubes deliver incredible crunch making them perfect for that ZZ Top, old EVH sound. Seven string down-strokers may not be as pleased because they don't have that crushing bottom end. The Winged "C" SED EL34 tubes definitely have the advantage in bottom end but we find that it can get a bit boomy. For guitar players that need an EL34 tube and play classic rock music we don't think you can find a better tube than the Svetlana EL34.

Codeman

Reaction score
Svetlana 12AX7 have a pretty solid bottom end though so if you put one in v1 or v2 they should play nicely with their el34 brethren.

jeffb

Reaction score
I think someone has already made a headshell. You should use the search feature and use head or headshell as your search terms and you will probably find it.

Roger.

WillCo.

jeffb

Reaction score
I was listening to "Breaking the Law" by Judas Priest the other day, and I was trying to get a similar sound. I noticed that they had a good amount of bass in their guitars but it never sounded muddy because the top end was easy to hear. My guess, is that Marshall wanted to allow people to cut through the mix, but still have a good bass

G12h.

Penguinchit

Reaction score
For those that do, what do you use for overdrive on this amp? I have a Soul Food and loved it at first but the sound now is just not what I'm chasing.

Sounds a lot like the guitar in this song at 1:53:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZfF0dvGakw[/ame]

I've described it as 'digital' before but I'm not sure if that's the right term. I'm looking for something more crunchy and gritty.

aftrshok99

Reaction score
I've got a Wampler Tumnus on order, probably won't be here for another week or so but I'll report back when it arrives.

jeffb

Reaction score
:scratch: I don't follow.

G12H speakers. Big part of their tone in the 79-mid 80s era. Big low end. Clarity on top. Thick midrange.

Prior to that it was mostly 12ms and treble boosters.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Svetlana 12AX7 have a pretty solid bottom end though so if you put one in v1 or v2 they should play nicely with their el34 brethren.
Hey Codeman , funny you should mention it in my order was also 2 x Svetlana 12AX7 for V2 & V3
Again a review from the Tube Store ( no affiliation )
Svetlana 12AX7 - For several years the original Svetlana 12AX7 tube from St. Petersburg (Winged "C"/SED) tried to develop a good 12AX7 and mostly failed. The current production Svetlana is a New Sensor product and is a member of 12AX7-EH and Tung-Sol 12AX7 family. All three of these tubes is virtually identical. The biggest difference seems to be in plate coating, gain and sound quality. I find the tube to sound a bit smoother than the EH and it has less gain than the Tung Sol. If you are not inspired by the Electro Harmonix and also find the Tungsol too grainy then this is the tube you want to give a chance. It has everything you want in a good pre-amp. Low noise, no Microphonics issues and very clear and open without being too bright. The construction is on par with the more expensive Tungsol. The price point on this 12AX7 tube is great because it will hold its own with more expensive options. Samples seem very reliable. If you like the JJ ECC83S but want something with a litter more glimmer this is where you should put your money.

Codeman

Reaction score
G12H speakers. Big part of their tone in the 79-mid 80s era. Big low end. Clarity on top. Thick midrange.

Prior to that it was mostly 12ms and treble boosters.

I guess it's a good thing that I have a Creamback then.

Codeman

Reaction score
Hey Codeman , funny you should mention it in my order was also 2 x Svetlana 12AX7 for V2 & V3
Again a review from the Tube Store ( no affiliation )
Svetlana 12AX7 - For several years the original Svetlana 12AX7 tube from St. Petersburg (Winged "C"/SED) tried to develop a good 12AX7 and mostly failed. The current production Svetlana is a New Sensor product and is a member of 12AX7-EH and Tung-Sol 12AX7 family. All three of these tubes is virtually identical. The biggest difference seems to be in plate coating, gain and sound quality. I find the tube to sound a bit smoother than the EH and it has less gain than the Tung Sol. If you are not inspired by the Electro Harmonix and also find the Tungsol too grainy then this is the tube you want to give a chance. It has everything you want in a good pre-amp. Low noise, no Microphonics issues and very clear and open without being too bright. The construction is on par with the more expensive Tungsol. The price point on this 12AX7 tube is great because it will hold its own with more expensive options. Samples seem very reliable. If you like the JJ ECC83S but want something with a litter more glimmer this is where you should put your money.

:yesway:

If you find that you don't like them in v1 or v2 then you can place them in V3 and V4 like I did. They seem like pretty strong tubes.

Latest posts