The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Straydog

Reaction score
As I wrote in a previous thread I bought a Creamback 75 and changed out the 70/80. I didn't really like the Creamback as much as I thought I would. Is there a big difference between the 65 and the 75?

Well, I think I finally found the speaker I was looking for. I bought a Celestion/Mesa Boogie Black Shadow C90. Made in England. It was from a Mesa Boogie and is practically new. After trying the Creamback G12H-75 and not being happy with it I kept researching speakers. Boy, there are a lot of choices. LOL....A friend bought a Mesa Lonestar Special that is Black Shadow equipped and I loved that sound. So I figured WTH and made the buy. I'm very impressed by the upgrade. That 70/80 stock speaker will never be in my amp again. Now that my warranty has expired I may just do the C19 mod. With the old speaker I didn't like the red channel at all. Now it seems to be very usable after all. It would be nice to get the mod done and go from there. :yesway:

BanditPanda

Reaction score
:yesway:

If you find that you don't like them in v1 or v2 then you can place them in V3 and V4 like I did. They seem like pretty strong tubes.

Yup although I've got a Mullard CV4004 slotted for the V1 position and in V4 a JJ-ECC83 MG (Mid Gain) and that's the way I'm gonna roll ( for the time being lol )
BP

jlinde1973

Reaction score
Well, I think I finally found the speaker I was looking for. I bought a Celestion/Mesa Boogie Black Shadow C90. Made in England. It was from a Mesa Boogie and is practically new. After trying the Creamback G12H-75 and not being happy with it I kept researching speakers. Boy, there are a lot of choices. LOL....A friend bought a Mesa Lonestar Special that is Black Shadow equipped and I loved that sound. So I figured WTH and made the buy. I'm very impressed by the upgrade. That 70/80 stock speaker will never be in my amp again. Now that my warranty has expired I may just do the C19 mod. With the old speaker I didn't like the red channel at all. Now it seems to be very usable after all. It would be nice to get the mod done and go from there. :yesway:

If you do the c19 mod, don't just clip it out. It sounds way to muddy and lame. I was at 200pf, 2 100pf's piggybacked, thought I would remove a 100pf just to see how it sounds...well it sounds like ass. Too muddy. It lost everything. I'm going to solder the other 100pf back in. 200pf has just enough bite without being muddy.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Clipped mine and gigged with it this Thurs. V30 speaker. It cut through well, sounded good with a Bad Monkey pushing the front. Treble about 4, mid 5, all it needed. Have to watch it doesn't get fizzy but it sure cranked nice in this venue.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
If you do the c19 mod, don't just clip it out. It sounds way to muddy and lame. I was at 200pf, 2 100pf's piggybacked, thought I would remove a 100pf just to see how it sounds...well it sounds like ass. Too muddy. It lost everything. I'm going to solder the other 100pf back in. 200pf has just enough bite without being muddy.

Wouldn't happen to have a sound clip would you.?
Most on here usually go with 100 or 120 pf. First I've heard of it being muddy. Would like to hear the DSL40 with the 200 pf.
In fact if anyone out there has a sound clip of the amp with the 100 or 120 pf cap would like to hear that too.
B.P.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Clipped mine and gigged with it this Thurs. V30 speaker. It cut through well, sounded good with a Bad Monkey pushing the front. Treble about 4, mid 5, all it needed. Have to watch it doesn't get fizzy but it sure cranked nice in this venue.

Jethro, with all the mods you've done to this amp what's with the "......Have to watch it doesn't get fizzy........":wave:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score

How it 'sounds' is very subjective, also very dependent on other mods, especially what speaker you have installed. If you play thru an external cab, it also adds more confusion to the mix.

Point is, whatever YOU like, unless you are of course trying to please someone else...

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Jethro, with all the mods you've done to this amp what's with the "......Have to watch it doesn't get fizzy........":wave:

Well, C19 clip, a V30 speaker and NOS tubes. That's it for "mods". With the Monkey up front and the treble up a bit, the lead channel can get a bit fizzy if one is not careful with the gain. Given all the boosting at the front end and guitar dependent. To my ears anyways.
I really liked it, it rocked. If Monkey treble (there's a cool band name!) was up too high, it sizzled a little too much for me. Sounded vaguely fizzy to me. That's all!! :shred:

jlinde1973

Reaction score
Wouldn't happen to have a sound clip would you.?
Most on here usually go with 100 or 120 pf. First I've heard of it being muddy. Would like to hear the DSL40 with the 200 pf.
In fact if anyone out there has a sound clip of the amp with the 100 or 120 pf cap would like to hear that too.
B.P.
Sorry, I've already got the value back to 200pf or I would have made some comparision clips. But trust me, the amp loses all of its character with the cap value at 100pf or less. To me it sounds like a cheap overdrive pedal. 200pf has a nice bite to it, but not nearly as icepicky as the 470pf original. If I can figure out how, I will post a 200pf clip. It sounds badass. But then again, I'm running a budda phat 12 speaker and all 4 sylvania long gray plate tubes....so mine will be much warmer sounding in that respect.

Straydog

Reaction score

Thanks for that. i'll do more homework before the mod for sure.

ken361

Reaction score
Think my dam newer EH power tube or tubes gone microphonic! I replaced each preamp tube and still get this hum. Tapping on top of the amp you can hear the pings,when tilting the amp it get louder almost osculating then I tilt it back and its ok. Start playing then stopping it gets quiet then a little bit later I hear the hum. I take the amp to my girls each weekend so loading it and unloading it might of caused it, amp was never hot when being moved. This is one of the few amps that got moved around each weekend and never had micro phonic issues if it was it was a preamp tube:(

Last edited:

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Sorry, I've already got the value back to 200pf or I would have made some comparision clips. But trust me, the amp loses all of its character with the cap value at 100pf or less. To me it sounds like a cheap overdrive pedal. 200pf has a nice bite to it, but not nearly as icepicky as the 470pf original. If I can figure out how, I will post a 200pf clip. It sounds badass. But then again, I'm running a budda phat 12 speaker and all 4 sylvania long gray plate tubes....so mine will be much warmer sounding in that respect.

OK..I've done no mods done yet and I love the " character " of this amp and wouldn't want to mess that up. I do have new set of what I think to be great tubes to replace the stockers though. Thanks for the info and let us know if you get a clip up. I'll check out the Buddha Phat.
B.P.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
OK..I've done no mods done yet and I love the " character " of this amp and wouldn't want to mess that up. I do have new set of what I think to be great tubes to replace the stockers though. Thanks for the info and let us know if you get a clip up. I'll check out the Buddha Phat.
B.P.

While researching the Budda Phat;s I came across this statement from the founder & President of Budda:
quote "...We prefer custom speakers that bring out the best tonal qualities of our amp’s circuit and cabinetry. ..." unquote.
I wonder ,if we asked Marshall which speaker that would be for the DSL40C, what their choice would be.?
B.P.

Bownse

Reaction score
Last edited:

Iptron

Reaction score
Hello people, does anyone know whether the distortion on this amp is all valvular or just diode clipping as the JCM-900? And how well does it take overdrive/distorion pedals.

Thanks!

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no diode clipping in a DSL40c.
No DSL's have diode clipping. None.

rlowe

Reaction score
B.P.

I have had this amp since February 2015 with about 4 months down time 6.5 months playing time. The amp during this time as being evaluated stock was at first ice pick to my ears for a few months, but afterwords it changed much less treble. After this my stock tubes went bad and all were replaced with E34l's and Doug's preamp tube recommendation. The amp sounds mid and punchy good quality. I will probably change the stock speaker out with a Vintage 30 (70/80 is ok but would like to try something different). No mod's and like the bite this amp has. :yesway:
Try a few different OD pedals they can give that extra bite especially on leads.

Latest posts