The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Greatwhitenorth

Reaction score
I just received my assorted capacitors for C19 as well as some Ruby preamp tubes from the Tube Store. Time for a little surgery this weekend.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I just received my assorted capacitors for C19 as well as some Ruby preamp tubes from the Tube Store. Time for a little surgery this weekend.

A suggestion for you. What I did was solder in two 1/2" or so leads in the PCB holes were C19 is then slid a little heat shrink tubing over them for insulation reasons. Then I bent little hooks in the end of the leads of the cap that I thought was the "one" and slid it over the posts and soldered it in place. This allowed for me to try other values down the road w/o messing with the PCD board. The last think you want to do is solder in and remove components too many times.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Ceramic caps are generally available at Radio Shack.

Bownse

Reaction score
Ceramic caps are generally available at Radio Shack.

Radio Shack shut down most of its stores months ago. The closest one I'm aware of is 180 miles away and it only carries stock that the company is trying get out of the warehouse before completely closing the business down.

In this area they had mostly moved to cell phone accessories in the recent 5 to 10 years so never had the hobbyist components they were known for "back when".

They could never figure out how to change their business model to compete with the Internet.

In my area, Fry's is a possibility but is hit or miss on anything smaller than computer boards.

National Electronic Service is excellent as is Allied Electronics although the latter is geared more toward selling to businesses, they will sell you stuff as an individual if you're willing to ask for specifics at the counter.

Bpockney45

Reaction score
you seem like you know what your doing :D

Guys I've never used a thread before so i'm just asking for some very needed help. about 5 months ago my Marshall started making really weird sounds even if it was on stand by or no volume, got it fixed same thing happened again couple months later so Marshall sent me a new one (it was the pre-amp tubes). NOW, with all the tubes glowing, the two lights on the front of the Marshall don't turn on when i power up the amp and when i then put standby off there is close to no sound coming out. now this is the third time ive had a problem and i thinkit might be me BUT ive checked and i wait bout 10-15b mins at LEAST before turning off stand by and the same for when i turn of standby and turn the power off.

i dont play that loud 4 TOPS on 40W with low gain. i usually play ACDC and classic rock with the occasional metal where i turn up the gain.

if theres a Marshall wizard out there who knows about this problem then i would REALLY appreciate the help as this is my first tube amp.

thanks.

Greatwhitenorth

Reaction score
I got my capacitors from The Tube Store with my pre-amp tube order. They were .63 cents each and didn't change the cost of shipping so I figured why not.

Thanks for the tip MarshallDog. I'll do that. I'm going to use the alligator clips and do some experimentation before I decide on the value that I want but it would be nice to add without more major surgery.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
you seem like you know what your doing :D

Guys I've never used a thread before so i'm just asking for some very needed help. about 5 months ago my Marshall started making really weird sounds even if it was on stand by or no volume, got it fixed same thing happened again couple months later so Marshall sent me a new one (it was the pre-amp tubes). NOW, with all the tubes glowing, the two lights on the front of the Marshall don't turn on when i power up the amp and when i then put standby off there is close to no sound coming out. now this is the third time ive had a problem and i thinkit might be me BUT ive checked and i wait bout 10-15b mins at LEAST before turning off stand by and the same for when i turn of standby and turn the power off.

i dont play that loud 4 TOPS on 40W with low gain. i usually play ACDC and classic rock with the occasional metal where i turn up the gain.

if theres a Marshall wizard out there who knows about this problem then i would REALLY appreciate the help as this is my first tube amp.

thanks.

No need for multiple threads...
Check your Workbench thread.
It might be a fuse.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Where do you guys order these caps from and how do you know which kind to get?

Thanks!

I buy mine from either Mouser or DigiTech on line. As for the type, I,either look at the existing component on the PCB board, look at the wiring diagram or ask members on this thread. For C19, I bought 100V ceramic caps.

StevieShiner

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I appreciate the advice on the caps. I wasn't sure of the voltage either so the 100v tip was very helpful.
Steve

ken361

Reaction score
Can somebody tap behind the 40c chassis were the power tube are and see if you hear the tapping noise please. Trying to determine if the tubes are causing the hum. Thanks!!

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Hello everybody. Having the new tubes installed today. I have a WGS ET65 to replace the 70/80 but it is an 8 ohm speaker. I know I can use the 8 ohm jack without problem but when I move to add an extension cab I will have to replace the a 16 ohm speaker. Question: Will there be any difference in tone when using 8 ohms instead of 16 ohms?
Thanks
B.P.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody. Having the new tubes installed today. I have a WGS ET65 to replace the 70/80 but it is an 8 ohm speaker. I know I can use the 8 ohm jack without problem but when I move to add an extension cab I will have to replace the a 16 ohm speaker. Question: Will there be any difference in tone when using 8 ohms instead of 16 ohms?
Thanks
B.P.

No difference.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Can somebody tap behind the 40c chassis were the power tube are and see if you hear the tapping noise please. Trying to determine if the tubes are causing the hum. Thanks!!

Tapping on my amp won't help in your quest to find your problem.

Take the back off YOUR amp and use a chopstick or other non-conductive stick and tap on YOUR tubes to see if one is microphonic.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Speaker voicing. I have an Eminence 16 ohm speaker which is described as being part of their American voiced series. How much difference does that make? I mean is putting an American voiced speaker ( as extension cab ) in a Marshall counter intuitive?
Thanks.
B.P.

ken361

Reaction score
Tapping on my amp won't help in your quest to find your problem.

Take the back off YOUR amp and use a chopstick or other non-conductive stick and tap on YOUR tubes to see if one is microphonic.

Asking a simple question! I had a few amps that tapping at a tube I aways hear some kind of noise but it didn't squeal or made any hum,since its so close to the power tubes were I tap behind the chassis makes me think that!

MarshallDog

Reaction score

I had a similar experience a while back. If I tapped hard enough on the top of the amp near the handle, I could hear the tapping through the speakers, no squealing, etc. it turned out that a preamp tube was starting to go bad and it doesn't do it now with new tubes.

ken361

Reaction score
I checked all my preamp tubes the power tubes are 3 months old. The hum kind of comes and goes, its quiet and later playing I hear it again:(