The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Nope, same thing. But kinda sucks when you want to add an ext cab, if you ever do.

Yes well I do have the 16 ohm Eminence Red White & Blues which I could have put in there but then came the question of putting an American voiced speaker in a British voiced amp.!!?? So I went with ( albeit temporarily ) the 8 ohm WGS ET65 which highly though of around these parts for the DSL40C.

Greatwhitenorth

Reaction score
Well boys, with a friend's help the surgery is complete. After a little experimentation I ended up with the 120 pF cap in the C19 spot. I took MD's advise and soldered some hooks in for piggybacking an extra capacitor if I feel the need. While I was soldering I decided to do the 50's wiring mod to my Les Paul. After I buttoned everything back up I took it for a spin. I now have the Red channel I've been looking for. Smooth with just the right amount of bite. I'd post clips, but I forgot to record it before the mods just like last time. Besides, I'm a little self conscious about posting on YouTube and having people hack on me for my sloppy playing.
As before I wanted to say some thank yous. First thanks to Micky for this great and informative thread, and for his advise. MarshallDog for his help with some of the specific values and tricks. Jethro, Ken, and a couple of others for their recent help, and all of the other contributors in this great thread. You guys are truly awesome. I honestly can't wait till my next jam to hear it in a band setting.

Thanks again guys,

GWN

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you Micky...and no harm to the amp right?
B.P.

Problem is, you can run only ONE 8-ohm cab or speaker at a time.
Using the 8-ohm outputs you can run TWO 16-ohm cabs or speakers...

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Well boys, with a friend's help the surgery is complete. After a little experimentation I ended up with the 120 pF cap in the C19 spot. I took MD's advise and soldered some hooks in for piggybacking an extra capacitor if I feel the need. While I was soldering I decided to do the 50's wiring mod to my Les Paul. After I buttoned everything back up I took it for a spin. I now have the Red channel I've been looking for. Smooth with just the right amount of bite. I'd post clips, but I forgot to record it before the mods just like last time. Besides, I'm a little self conscious about posting on YouTube and having people hack on me for my sloppy playing.
As before I wanted to say some thank yous. First thanks to Micky for this great and informative thread, and for his advise. MarshallDog for his help with some of the specific values and tricks. Jethro, Ken, and a couple of others for their recent help, and all of the other contributors in this great thread. You guys are truly awesome. I honestly can't wait till my next jam to hear it in a band setting.

Thanks again guys,

GWN

This thread serves to benefit all of YOU. I didn't do this for me, I needed a reference point for all the options you can do with this amp. I had no idea at the time this amp would be so incredibly popular, but in doing so, I have learned a lot.

This thread really is as good as it is because of all of YOU. You guys are the ones who have made major contributions, and by posting your experiences it is a tremendous resource to others. It is the top DSL40c search item in Google, and I have had countless members join up just to ask questions via PM. Many are no longer participating, but there are many others here to step up and take their place.

Just keep posting stuff, asking questions and helping others and I can guarantee you that everyone will benefit.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
This thread serves to benefit all of YOU. I didn't do this for me, I needed a reference point for all the options you can do with this amp. I had no idea at the time this amp would be so incredibly popular, but in doing so, I have learned a lot.

This thread really is as good as it is because of all of YOU. You guys are the ones who have made major contributions, and by posting your experiences it is a tremendous resource to others. It is the top DSL40c search item in Google, and I have had countless members join up just to ask questions via PM. Many are no longer participating, but there are many others here to step up and take their place.

Just keep posting stuff, asking questions and helping others and I can guarantee you that everyone will benefit.

I agree and second Mickys post, just glad we can be of some assisatnce. I for one have benefitted from others on this Forum, pay it forward as they say...and rock on:shred:

MarshallDog

Reaction score

Thanks again guys,

GWN

So you like the 50s wiring on your LPS? Mine are all modern and I have thought about changing one but chickened out. What is it that you like better about it? Thanks...MD

Greatwhitenorth

Reaction score
The 50's mod consists of changing the configuration of the tone cap across the volume and tone pot. It was very easy to do and easily reversible if you don't like it. It keeps the treble at the same level when you turn down the volume. I noticed that it really made my guitar clean up better when I roll off the volume. The trade off is that when you roll your tone knob down it can cause the volume to drop. I didn't roll my tone knob all the way down when I tried it out so I'm not sure how much volume you lose. Mind you, I never roll my tone off by more than half. I did the mod on both the bridge and neck pickups and really like the results. If you want to keep your wiring modern you can keep the treble in the circuit with a "treble bleed" mod. This consists of putting a 600-1000pF cap with a 130-150 kohm resistor in parallel across two lugs of the volume pot. Now that I've done the 50's mod on my Standard I'm going to do it on my LP Jr. as well. That's how much I like it.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
The 50's mod consists of changing the configuration of the tone cap across the volume and tone pot. It was very easy to do and easily reversible if you don't like it. It keeps the treble at the same level when you turn down the volume. I noticed that it really made my guitar clean up better when I roll off the volume. The trade off is that when you roll your tone knob down it can cause the volume to drop. I didn't roll my tone knob all the way down when I tried it out so I'm not sure how much volume you lose. Mind you, I never roll my tone off by more than half. I did the mod on both the bridge and neck pickups and really like the results. If you want to keep your wiring modern you can keep the treble in the circuit with a "treble bleed" mod. This consists of putting a 600-1000pF cap with a 130-150 kohm resistor in parallel across two lugs of the volume pot. Now that I've done the 50's mod on my Standard I'm going to do it on my LP Jr. as well. That's how much I like it.

Thanks for the great explanation, I may have to try this sometime:

jlinde1973

Reaction score

Thanks again guys,

GWN

I actually went up in value on my c19 cap and like it better. I started off at 200pf and liked it, but something just wasn't right....so I went down to 100pf. Wow! What a mistake. It lost all of the chime and characteristic marshall bark. So I went back to 200pf and though sounded good, still had a touch of muddiness....so I piggybacked a little 20pf on the 200. Perfect! At 220pf, the amp has much more bark and chime and pick detail. I'm done this time as it sounds perfect...now my next project is to add a 20pf to c4, the clean channel bright cap. I want just a touch more bark out of my crunch mode and I think it will be just the trick.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I actually went up in value on my c19 cap and like it better. I started off at 200pf and liked it, but something just wasn't right....so I went down to 100pf. Wow! What a mistake. It lost all of the chime and characteristic marshall bark. So I went back to 200pf and though sounded good, still had a touch of muddiness....so I piggybacked a little 20pf on the 200. Perfect! At 220pf, the amp has much more bark and chime and pick detail. I'm done this time as it sounds perfect...now my next project is to add a 20pf to c4, the clean channel bright cap. I want just a touch more bark out of my crunch mode and I think it will be just the trick.

As I have said in the past, the C19 value is very dependent on a few things. Such as the speaker you have installed, the tubes you are using and the way your tone 'sounds' in the mix or wherever you play. Could also even depend on the type of music you play as well as the guitars and pickups you use.

Tone is very subjective...

BanditPanda

Reaction score
As I have said in the past, the C19 value is very dependent on a few things. Such as the speaker you have installed, the tubes you are using and the way your tone 'sounds' in the mix or wherever you play. Could also even depend on the type of music you play as well as the guitars and pickups you use.

And lest forget this mod affects only the Ultra Gain channel
B.P.

riefil

Reaction score

Greatwhite, I recently changed to 50's wiring too. I notice a big difference, for the better. The clarity I gained is very noticeable. I can now clean up, especially on the bridge pickup, quite nicely. I didn't think it would be as noticeable on the neck pickup but it certainly is. I find myself using volume and tone controls more. Best 5 minute mod I've ever done. As you stated, it's just as easy to reverse if you don't like it.:applause:

LckydevL

Reaction score
Hello,

Thought I would drop a line or two and let you guys know how much this thread and your opinions and experiences have helped me. I got the DSL40 amp from Sweetwater with the Creamback deal about two months ago. I play twice a day for a few hours and broke my amp in pretty quickly. The amp, the speaker and even the tube swapping I did were all due to the posts in this thread. I am very happy with my amp and again would like to say thanks. And keep this thread going, guys!

PtTimeRckr

Reaction score
Has anyone tried with Celestion Alnico speaker in this amp?

I built a box to use my DSL40c with a vintage Altec cabinet 2x10 with vintage CTS alnicos. Not the same as what you're asking, but the amp is much brighter with more mid punch and less mud/power than the seventy-80. I can use combo, cab or both with this setup and get three distinct sounds out of it, if that helps.

Greatwhitenorth

Reaction score
Hello,

Thought I would drop a line or two and let you guys know how much this thread and your opinions and experiences have helped me. I got the DSL40 amp from Sweetwater with the Creamback deal about two months ago. I play twice a day for a few hours and broke my amp in pretty quickly. The amp, the speaker and even the tube swapping I did were all due to the posts in this thread. I am very happy with my amp and again would like to say thanks. And keep this thread going, guys!

Congrats on the amp and welcome to the forum. Lots of knowledge in this group.:yesway:

BanditPanda

Reaction score
the 8 ohm WGS ET65 which highly though of around these parts for the DSL40C.

I have been told that you CAN run 2 X 8 ohm speakers with the DSL40C.
That it's merely a question of how they are wired..series or parallel.
Is that wrong information ?
B.P.