The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bownse

Reaction score
Picked up a "shop discount" Epiphone SG G-310. Clearly a shop beater (and the price reflected it). Probably used for lessons and when someone wanted to test an amp. Finish nicks and strap wear. A cock-eyed tuner. Loose neck, tuners, switch, and output jack. A fretboard so grimy that it looked like the joint to the fret/board were fillets. Some fret wear.

Got it home, tightened up everything, removed the strings, gave it a good cleaning and new strings. Plays and sounds good and will be something to bring out when the grand kids are around or when wanting to go somewhere I'd not want to risk my nicer guitar with.

Top row: Before
Nick in finish to the right edge half way between the nobs.
Dirty fret board with the frets so crusty they are hazy.
The cleaning cloth AFTER attacking the board with lemon oil and a soft-bristle tooth brush and a very light hand on a tooth pick.

Bottom row: After
See the bent tuner?
Fretboard and body much improved.

SG%20G-310.jpg

I could buy some replacement tuners from guitarfetish.com and still be on the good side of the deal.

The Les Paul is a bucket of cream. This one's an AC/DC screamer. Did some AC/DC and Lita Ford through the mighty Marshall and it's a great compliment to the Lester.

PU239

Reaction score
Found out at NAMM that the DSL40C was the biggest selling amp last year worldwide.

Codeman

Reaction score
:wave: Hey everyone,

I haven't seen a lot of sound bites through this thread so I figured I would add a clip just to give a glimpse of what a modded DSL can sound like.(not that it's the best but it's better than no soundbite right?)
Honestly, this sounds pretty good to me. See what you think.

As a side note, I have been writing this for a little while, but never settled on a solo so I just threw one together for the recording. Nevertheless, happy listening. :hbang:

Amp Used:
'14 Marshall DSL 40C
-Tubes: TAD7025WA, Mullard RI, Svetlana, Svetlana, TADEL34B-STR
-Speaker: G12H75

Settings Used:

Lead 2:
Volume: .5-1 Gain:7 Treble:5 Middle:2 Bass:7 Presence:7 Resonance:7
Reverb:5

Guitar Used:
'15 PRS SE Custom 24 "Floyd" 30th Anniversary Edition

Recording Equipment:
AKG Perception 120 Condenser Microphone off center and panned left
Tascam DR40 2 feet away positioned high center from speaker panned right

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/cody-baggett/post-mod-sound-test[/SC]

Codeman

Reaction score
:wave:I haven't seen a lot of sound bites through this thread so I figured I would add a clip just to give a glimpse of what a modded DSL can sound like.(not that it's the best but it's better than no soundbite right?)

You're right Cody and the amp does sound great. Thanks for posting.
B.P.

Thanks man! I'm really enjoying it and I hope others do as well. :)

Bownse

Reaction score

I haven't seen a lot of sound bites through this thread so I figured I would add a clip just to give a glimpse of what a modded DSL can sound like.(not that it's the best but it's better than no soundbite right?)

As a side note, I have been writing this for a little while, but never settled on a solo so I just threw one together for the recording. Nevertheless, happy listening. :hbang:

Amp Used:
'14 Marshall DSL 40C

Settings Used:

Lead 2:

Guitar Used:

Recording Equipment:

+1

Mine is there somewhere but far too neophyte for some.

I got a lot of the tones I was seeking but one was only "close". With the LP in for mods, I picked up a beater Epi SG G-310. All I did was plug it in and dial in the guitars tuners and volumes. Then BAM! There it was. It's the metal of the SG verses the blues/jazz of the LP that made it so easy to step that extra little bit.

Codeman

Reaction score
+1

Mine is there somewhere but far too neophyte for some.

I got a lot of the tones I was seeking but one was only "close". With the LP in for mods, I picked up a beater Epi SG G-310. All I did was plug it in and dial in the guitars tuners and volumes. Then BAM! There it was. It's the metal of the SG verses the blues/jazz of the LP that made it so easy to step that extra little bit.

Neophyte?

Moony

Reaction score
@ Codeman:

You got THE nickname, now!
Would say that Marshall needs to give you a CODE amp of your choice for free when using your name! :D

Codeman

Reaction score
@ Codeman:

You got THE nickname, now!
Would say that Marshall needs to give you a CODE amp of your choice for free when using your name! :D

crap.... I didn't expect a family nickname to come back to haunt me like that.

I would gladly take a CODE amp though. I've been thinking of the 50 or 100 watt head, but I really need to play it first. I just got off the modeling wagon with the Line6 Spider series.

Moony

Reaction score
I think, the Line 6 spider isn't the best example of how good a digital modeling amp can sound. The CODE could only be better.

Greatwhitenorth

Reaction score

Amp Used:
'14 Marshall DSL 40C

Settings Used:

Lead 2:

Guitar Used:

Recording Equipment:

Hey Codeman, Great playing through an awesome sounding amp. :yesway:

Moony

Reaction score
Ok, I'm wondering, how this could be determined then.

I know, the DSL40C is a good selling amp, but I can tell you, that in Europe it's not the best selling guitar amp, since I weekly follow the sales charts of Thomann, which is Europeans biggest music-store.

There are a few lower cost amps, especially solid state and modeling amps, which sell better.
Also the 7 BJ and V AC15 are very strong competitors in the all-valve category.

But I absolutely believe, that the DSL40C is under the Top10 in the all-valve category.

Len

Reaction score
Ok, I'm wondering, how this could be determined then.

I know, the DSL40C is a good selling amp, but I can tell you, that in Europe it's not the best selling guitar amp, since I weekly follow the sales charts of Thomann, which is Europeans biggest music-store.

There are a few lower cost amps, especially solid state and modeling amps, which sell better.
Also the 7 BJ and V AC15 are very strong competitors in the all-valve category.

But I absolutely believe, that the DSL40C is under the Top10 in the all-valve category.

More DSL40C customers in the US?

Moony

Reaction score
More DSL40C customers in the US?

Maybe.
I don't know, how you could measure something like that.

Even if you get some numbers from distributors, it wouldn't say something about how many amps were sold to the customers from all the shops which stock the amps.

Moony

Reaction score
Moony's got this hate on for the 40DSLC. It's weird.:hmm:

Hate? How did you come up with that?

I like the DSL40C, it's a good amp.

But I know, that at Europe's biggest musicstore it's not the number one selling guitar amp.