The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ken361

Reaction score
USPS used to be good and fast then all that BS was going on a few years they may stop sending mail and all. Seems like every time I would order it was like a week to 10 days! even close by states.

Landawng

Reaction score
This is probably a really dumb question, but is there a way to run guitar rig 5 via my PC through the effects loop? Or any other way? I don't have any pedals yet and wanted to hear some effects through this bad boy, but I don't want to break anything lol.

rlowe

Reaction score
For those of you who've ordered tubes from Doug's tubes, how quickly did you get your order? I'm in the same state (NY) and ordered on the 20th, yet it still says processing. Seems to be taking a long time. I guess I'm spoiled with the customer service from Sweetwater, where I order a guitar, or this amp, in a different state (Indiana) and have it delivered for free within 48 hours. Large store versus M&P, I get that. But still, these are 6 small tubes...
Yes, I ordered some preamp tubes from Doug's mid summer I am thinking it was the Marshall preamp tube kit: Tungsol, 2 Ruby (high gain preference pick), Sovtek. These tubes sounded fuller, richer than the stock JJ's and even better with E34L's I ordered from Eurotubes nice and thick, punchy. If your looking for a vintage power tube sound the EL34's have that sound. I like both, but I sure dig that punchy E34L sound. E34L is EL34's Big Brother. By the way they did take longer than expected to be delivered. :yesway:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
This is probably a really dumb question, but is there a way to run guitar rig 5 via my PC through the effects loop? Or any other way? I don't have any pedals yet and wanted to hear some effects through this bad boy, but I don't want to break anything lol.

Only way to do it would be to mix the signal from your computer with your guitar and run it thru the amp. But then again, the DSL40c is not a full-range speaker so it will be difficult to match the sound exactly.

Why not listen to it thru the computer?
Why go thru the trouble of sending it to the amp?

Landawng

Reaction score
Only way to do it would be to mix the signal from your computer with your guitar and run it thru the amp. But then again, the DSL40c is not a full-range speaker so it will be difficult to match the sound exactly.

Why not listen to it thru the computer?
Why go thru the trouble of sending it to the amp?

Cool, yeah that's pretty much what I figured. I was thinking possibly I would be able to get Guitar Rig effects through the amp on top of the natural DSL40c tones. Basically trying to cheap out on buying a pedal for now lol. Not looking possible though.

ken361

Reaction score

I use Ableton Live 8 the free version if its still out there for recording, it has a great and other affects. So you can basicly at bedroom levels and the delay in the mix

minerman

Reaction score
I use vst effects through my amp all the time with a re-amp box. I plug my guitar into my interface, then my di signal goes to the re-amper into the amp. Obviously you'll have to play with the levels to make it sound natural, but it's do-able. Something I use a lot are GR5's wah pedals into my amp, you can use automation to turn 'em on/off, plus control every part of the wah's movement (or any other knob/slider whatever)...

But, doing this won't be like using your loop, this is running straight into the amp's input. For time-based fx, I just record my amp, & insert whatever fx I want on that track. Of course, you'll have to set the wet/dry amount, but again, it's possible....

Here's a short, shattty clip with a vst wah pedal ran through my DSL100H & 4x12, mic'd up with an SM57:

DSL100/GR5

minerman

Reaction score
sounds good up the level though;)

Thanks Ken, like I mentioned, it's just a short, crappy clip....Actually still working on that song, so it's not mixed yet, & is far from being finished...

minerman

Reaction score
Catchy riff, T75 speakers?
Thanks again....that's actually a G12-65 re-issue man, & I may have told you wrong on the mic, that may have been a Sennheiser e609, instead of a '57. I can't remember right off, but it was either/or....:D

I know this sounds crazy, but I've got 4 different speakers in my 4x12. Where I don't play live, I stuck the different speakers in there so I can have different tones really easy/quick, just by moving the mic. Plus, I can blend different mics on different speakers for even more possibilities...

Eventually, I'm gonna get another cab (or maybe a couple 2x12's), & match 'em up, as I've got a few more speakers I can use, I just don't have a cab for 'em... But for now, this actually works pretty good.

It doesn't sound as weird in the room as you'd think either....:lol:

Oldpunk

Reaction score
thanks again....that's actually a g12-65 re-issue man, & i may have told you wrong on the mic, that may have been a sennheiser e609, instead of a '57. I can't remember right off, but it was either/or....:d

i know this sounds crazy, but i've got 4 different speakers in my 4x12. Where i don't play live, i stuck the different speakers in there so i can have different tones really easy/quick, just by moving the mic. Plus, i can blend different mics on different speakers for even more possibilities...

eventually, i'm gonna get another cab (or maybe a couple 2x12's), & match 'em up, as i've got a few more speakers i can use, i just don't have a cab for 'em... But for now, this actually works pretty good.

^^^like^^^ :) great idea.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
last month I bought a TC mojomojo OD just to try out and see. It opened up my 40c big time with both a nice clean and crunch boost. In escenence adding a third channel to the amp. A transparent pedal is what you want on a Marshall, one that keeps the amps tone intact and just adds extra coloring.

Hey there OP. Had seen this OD pedal mentioned several times by a few posters and decided to get one. Should have it in a day or 2.
Where dO you place it on your board ( not sure of you use one)
Pleas tell me more about the rsults you have obtainer from it. I am looking forward to using it.
B.P.

donnyrocker

Reaction score
As I'm wading through this massive thread for this amazing little amp, I wonder if anyone else is using a treble boost?

My DSL40C iteration has the c19 mod, G12H30 Anniversary (laying around) and (all I had laying around) Ei preamp tubes. I have my Strats modified for MV, MT, bridge+neck blend knob (Kinman style): on Lead 2 w both buttons pushed in, resonance dimed and EQ 4/6/10 I'm getting darker metal tones without the TB and nifty early 70s hard rock tones w TB engaged (guitar's tone control adding whatever level of detail I require). I have five other pedals on my board and I goose the guitar level with an EP Boost (no matter what amp or guitar I use).

Thanks!

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Might not need the treble boost without the C19 mod...

donnyrocker

Reaction score
Thanks again....that's actually a G12-65 re-issue man, & I may have told you wrong on the mic, that may have been a Sennheiser e609, instead of a '57. I can't remember right off, but it was either/or....:D

I know this sounds crazy, but I've got 4 different speakers in my 4x12. Where I don't play live, I stuck the different speakers in there so I can have different tones really easy/quick, just by moving the mic. Plus, I can blend different mics on different speakers for even more possibilities...

Eventually, I'm gonna get another cab (or maybe a couple 2x12's), & match 'em up, as I've got a few more speakers I can use, I just don't have a cab for 'em... But for now, this actually works pretty good.

I'm rehabbing a 1960A and I've considered this set-up (practically identical) for primarily recording purposes. While I'd be using different heads (or likewise tapping my DSL40C), are you finding that it's worth the effort? Thanks!

donnyrocker

Reaction score
Might not need the treble boost without the C19 mod...

Perhaps not, but I always have a TB on my board for Old School applications anyway (not as much for treble boosting as a particular flavor of OD).

For one band, I rehearse with a stock DSL40C, which sounds better than mine did stock. In another band for whom I play bass, the two guitar players are currently running through these guys (both of them having played my stock one first), one is completely stock (though he considered the Sweetwater upgrade—we're close enough to drive there) and the other has biased JJ preamp tubes (and he's in the hunt for an alternate speaker). All this to say, I have some interesting opportunities to A/B (or even A/B/C/D!) several iterations.

Only two of us are cruising this thread, however...

minerman

Reaction score
I'm rehabbing a 1960A and I've considered this set-up (practically identical) for primarily recording purposes. While I'd be using different heads (or likewise tapping my DSL40C), are you finding that it's worth the effort? Thanks!
For me, yes I think it is worth it. While some of my speakers aren't a great deal different (the '65 is similar to the Greenback's tone, to me it's got a slightly different high end for example), there is enough difference in 'em where it would be noticeable in a mix (IE: 2 guitars panned 80% L/R, Greenback on the left, V30 on the right), plus there are other factors (like your different amps for example), different guitars, mics, effects, etc., that really give me a pretty wide range of tones. The best part of all this is for me, it's all in one spot/cab, & is very convenient, for me...

It's kinda like the ampsim thing, where you have a bunch of different cab sims all in one program, but it's real speakers....:D

It depends on a lot of things like what kind of music you're recording, how picky you are about your recorded tones, etc., but short story, yes I think it's worth it myself. I'd love to have a quad of all these speakers, with a 4x12 for 'em all, but that's quite a bit of $$$, and would take up quite a bit of space, neither of which I have...YMMV