The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rootraff

Reaction score
So, I was called stupid for buying a new Marshall DSL40CST (cream back installed already). I should have bought a Blackstar 60. Am I stupid? I played the HT 40, it's great. But, I like the Marshall a little more.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
So who would call you stupid?

And there are lots of other great amps.

I would think you were pretty smart getting a DSL40...

ken361

Reaction score
Well im happy! fixed the amp with newer power tubes the hums gone! biased at 36. After a half hour playing my friend says some times you can hear the noise with the tube in my hand by tapping on it and I could hear plain as day! The red channel is really nice and warm now.

donnyrocker

Reaction score
For me, yes I think it is worth it. While some of my speakers aren't a great deal different (the '65 is similar to the Greenback's tone, to me it's got a slightly different high end for example), there is enough difference in 'em where it would be noticeable in a mix (IE: 2 guitars panned 80% L/R, Greenback on the left, V30 on the right), plus there are other factors (like your different amps for example), different guitars, mics, effects, etc., that really give me a pretty wide range of tones. The best part of all this is for me, it's all in one spot/cab, & is very convenient, for me...

It's kinda like the ampsim thing, where you have a bunch of different cab sims all in one program, but it's real speakers....:D

It depends on a lot of things like what kind of music you're recording, how picky you are about your recorded tones, etc., but short story, yes I think it's worth it myself. I'd love to have a quad of all these speakers, with a 4x12 for 'em all, but that's quite a bit of $$$, and would take up quite a bit of space, neither of which I have...YMMV

Thanks! I'm pondering perhaps an Alnico of some sort. The main alternate amp* is my Friedman SS-100 head in a studio with whom I work who has the quad V30s Marshall cabinet. Gibson SGs (stock), Teles (various iterations and p'ups), Strats (various iterations and p'ups).

*My other "main" amps are a Top Hat Club Royale 212 combo and a Rivera-era Fender Twin II. The DSL40C is my (guitar) gigging amp, but compares well in a 212-closed back cab I have to the SS-100 as if the Marshall were a V6 engine and the Friedman were a V8 engine

minerman

Reaction score
Thanks! I'm pondering perhaps an Alnico of some sort. The main alternate amp* is my Friedman SS-100 head in a studio with whom I work who has the quad V30s Marshall cabinet. Gibson SGs (stock), Teles (various iterations and p'ups), Strats (various iterations and p'ups).

*My other "main" amps are a Top Hat Club Royale 212 combo and a Rivera-era Fender Twin II. The DSL40C is my (guitar) gigging amp, but compares well in a 212-closed back cab I have to the SS-100 as if the Marshall were a V6 engine and the Friedman were a V8 engine
Using a cab with different speakers in it would definitely give you different tones, as long as you're close mic'ing 'em. Now, if you're using room mics, it migh sound a little weird, I don't know myself, as my room is pretty crappy, so I add the room thing via vst reverbs, but it'd be worth a try anyway. Plus, if you don't like it, you can always swap your speakers back to where you had 'em...Just sayin'....

And, if you do try this out, please do let me know about your results, as I could possibly use some of your techniques with my setup....

BanditPanda

Reaction score
So, I was called stupid for buying a new Marshall DSL40CST (cream back installed already). I should have bought a Blackstar 60. Am I stupid? I played the HT 40, it's great. But, I like the Marshall a little more.

That's just being childish and you should stand your ground. You prefer the Marshall sound. Period. Safe to say all of us here do.!! Marshall has been the go to rock amp for generations. Blackstar is still in the baby teeth stage.
Personally I have been made to feel stupid by Marshall for buying the DSL40CV with the Marshall Code coming out in a few months.

Oldpunk

Reaction score
Why would you want a code SS amp, prb bright and thin like solid states lol

So who's planning on buying a code and selling their 40c?

I've heard some rumblings of people who are thinking about it without ever hearing one.

Greatwhitenorth

Reaction score
So who's planning on buying a code and selling their 40c?

I've heard some rumblings of people who are thinking about it without ever hearing one.

I have no plans on selling my 40C. If anything, I'll try out a Code and buy it for practice/goofing around and have both. It would have to be pretty stellar for me to think about getting rid of my DSL.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I MIGHT depending on actual trials. I have pointed this out on other threads, I wanted the 40C as a more compact Marshall and to use it the way I want, I HAVE to boost the front end with an OD. Nice sounding amp, not as versatile as I would like and still fairly bulky.
Then I found a 6101 -more compact, far more versatile. Almost makes the 40C moot, depending.
Again, I will obviously wait until I hear one and try it, but there are rumblings, to be sure. If it works for me, I don't really care what anyone else might think, to be honest. They don't sound bright and thin to me but will have to see!!
Hauling that out and down the basement stairs to a practice and have all those amps at my fingertips is enticing for the money.

Woods

Reaction score
If I wanted a modeling amp, I would have bought a Line 6 ****stone years ago and been done with it. I like tubes for a reason.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Why would you want a code SS amp, prb bright and thin like solid states lol

Well may I answer a question with a question? Why does anyone want one? You've seen the clamour on the Code thread.
Personally I bought the DSL40CV on spec having researched it both in terms of written reviews and in terms of audio from YT.
It was only when I discovered this great forum did I find out about the problems / short comings of the amp. lmao. Very happy so for. Speaker swap and new tubes.
You can here my DSL40CV here: https://soundcloud.com/banditpanda-446193420/stones-open-g-medley
It is my first Marshall and in fact got a Les Paul to go along with it.
But ( a big butt lol) had I known that Marshall was planning to come out with a modeller at 1/3 the price, with presumably a close proximity ( if not spot on ) sound /tone to the Marshalls we know and love I may have waited on my purchase. That plus the fact that carrying the Code at probably half the weight of the 40C would be a heck of a lot easier.
But I ain't selling anything yet, besides the fact that a used 40C would not fetch half its purchase value, if the Code is a success.