The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bownse

Reaction score
I would try the Marshall (relabeled JJ) in V3 and stick one of your other tubes in V4 the Phase Inverter spot. V1 (first gain stage) and V4 (phase inverter) will have the biggest influence on an amps tone followed by V2 which is the second gain stage.

V3 should be the tone stack and tubes do not seem to have a lot of effect on the tone in the V3 spot.

Thanks for the tips.

I stuck the JJ in V4 because of the discussion about the work out that V4 gets.

I may try both Mullards in V1 and V2 to see if it gives a fuller sound. But I read Marty's discussion about the extra-rated tubes giving good gain results in V1 with the Mullards mellowing it out some.

I'll step through the swaps with a V3/4 swap first.

kingbee

Reaction score
the JJ E34L tubes are actually better quality than the stock marshall ones brother!

Have to disagree with this. The stock Shuguang El34's that came in mine are awesome. NOT a fan of JJ's. Just saying...

nikola

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just dropping in to let you know that I've biased my DSL40C yesterday and it went well without a hitch. Plate voltage was at 486V for both power tubes and biased them to about 36mV.

Thanks to all of you guys because without this forum and all the pictures involved, I don't think that I would have done it myself.

Thanks again.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I have now found a combination I really like
Chinese Sino V1
RFT V2
Raytheon BP V3
Matsu****a Slant V4

It really cooks now! I'm liking the tone, will see tomorrow when I play a small school gig with a teacher band mate. I like how the auto censor doesn't like the Matsu name, same as Panasonic parent company!

Bor04

Reaction score
Hello Bor04

What I have not read yet is how you are getting jacked by this repair shop. Find another shop with a good technician if possible.

The $50 exam fee should be made part of the bill because it becomes part of the overall service. And $200 for inspection/exam, a fuse, a pair of tubes and bias is way too much.

Thank you all for your help. I truly appreciate all your time. I am writing this today with a bit of embarrassment because I called the repair shop last night to explain what I have learned and that I was not happy with the repair. Not long after I made my complaint something came over me to try a new guitar cable...walah! I feel like a total idiot.

However, even though he replaced the original tubes with less expensive ones this still does not explain the $295 quote for the originals.

What would a repair like this typically cost?

I will definitely be looking for a new tech but still would like to know what he was looking at.

Here is the original email I received from the repair shop.

"talked to my tech, Glynn, about your amp. A fuse blew, which is why we could get no sound from it at the shop. The larger problem is: one of the power tubes is shot and needs to be replaced. There are two power tubes and they are generally replaced in pairs. The original Marshall replacements are $295 per tube. Your labor for the work will be $150.

Now, if you don't mind a substitute tube (I don't know how much of an audiophile you are), Glynn has located a tube that should work. These run only $35. You can chose to replace only one if you like."

At least the end result is that my amp is sounding the way it's supposed to again.

John 14:6

Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. I truly appreciate all your time. I am writing this today with a bit of embarrassment because I called the repair shop last night to explain what I have learned and that I was not happy with the repair. Not long after I made my complaint something came over me to try a new guitar cable...walah! I feel like a total idiot.

However, even though he replaced the original tubes with less expensive ones this still does not explain the $295 quote for the originals.

I will definitely be looking for a new tech but still would like to know what he was looking at.

"talked to my tech, Glynn, about your amp. A fuse blew, which is why we could get no sound from it at the shop. The larger problem is: one of the power tubes is shot and needs to be replaced. There are two power tubes and they are generally replaced in pairs. The original Marshall replacements are $295 per tube. Your labor for the work will be $150.

Now, if you don't mind a substitute tube (I don't know how much of an audiophile you are), Glynn has located a tube that should work. These run only $35. You can chose to replace only one if you like."

At least the end result is that my amp is sounding the way it's supposed to again.
The only explanation is that the quote came out of the mouth of an unethical crook trying to mislead you and rip you off. Marshall spends $50 at the most for all the tubes in your amp. If the guy is an authorized "Marshall" service tech he should be reported to Marshall. It would probably cost you or me $80 to buy all the same tubes online.

ken361

Reaction score
That sounded awesome! Can you post those settings on the settings thread Ken

Thanks man, gain at 7 both channels. treb and mids at 6 bass at 6 resonance 6 presense at 3. I use a vocal mic which is a tad dark but sounds smooth recorded. The amp brightens up more when its cranked but full sounding and im using nos preamp tubes and 2 newer ones also

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America

The Marshall original EL34 power tubes are NOT special. They are normal average everyday run-of-the-mill $20 tubes.
6CA7/EL34 type tubes cost on average $15 to $25 a piece depending on brand and style.
You can buy top shelf or old stock tubes for premium prices. But those do not come stock in musical amplifiers and most people never use that grade of product for such use.

There are a few post in threads regarding cost of a set of power tubes, amplifier diagnostics and bias setup. The set of tubes has its cost, again based on brand and type. Generally a 100 watt uses four power tubes and a 50 watt uses two. They are most always changed as a set especially if all are older and worn. Replacing one tube in a set would best be done with use of tube testing equipment to match tubes. Your technician may be capable, maybe not.
Changing a set of tubes and biasing should not cost more than a half hour to one hour labor. That as well as the price per hour depends on the technician.
I would think that two tubes and a bias along with a fuse should have cost you about half or less on average of what you paid. Again, that depends on location and the shop/technician used. Shop around and ask questions.

Always clean jacks and cable plug tips with an electronic contact cleaner.
Learn how to use a multimeter to check for proper condition and connectivity of these.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's $295 per tube...not both.

WTF! X10!

Never ever think one power tube that is OEM or equivalent would be $300.

Let's not even talk about NOS. Just confuse matters.

Hildo

Reaction score
I have a question for anyone who has done an Output transformer transplant on the DSL 40C or the like. I have a Classic tone OT and choke on the way.

After the OT is installed I read that the amp is to be powered up without the tubes briefly. Should it be powered up without the pre amp and power tubes or just power tubes ?

Then turned off. Then put the tubes back in. Power up, let warm and check plate voltage on both power tubes at pin # 3. If the voltages are in acceptable range then continue to bias.

Hildo

Reaction score
It didn't make sense to me. There's a post on the previous page mentioning turning it on and then putting the tubes in.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
It didn't make sense to me. There's a post on the previous page mentioning turning it on and then putting the tubes in.

Previous page? Of what?

Just swap them out. That is what I did.
I even think I documented the correct wiring...

Hildo

Reaction score
Page 142 a post by Maidenstrat02. Starts with S.O.S. I guess I am reading to much and getting research overload. It got me confused.
I can bias an amp and have swapped out tubes. Changed a cap or 2.
After reading and seeing the pictures on this thread I am confident that I can mounting and wire the output transformer without an issue. It's been really helpful.

So it's as straightforward as fallows then.
Mount and wire the OT. Put the tubes back in. Connect the speaker. Turn on. Let warm. Check plate voltage. Bias. And enjoy. If I have missed a step your input would be appreciated. Thanks

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Page 142 a post by Maidenstrat02. Starts with S.O.S. I guess I am reading to much and getting research overload. It got me confused.
I can bias an amp and have swapped out tubes. Changed a cap or 2.
After reading and seeing the pictures on this thread I am confident that I can mounting and wire the output transformer without an issue. It's been really helpful.

So it's as straightforward as fallows then.
Mount and wire the OT. Put the tubes back in. Connect the speaker. Turn on. Let warm. Check plate voltage. Bias. And enjoy. If I have missed a step your input would be appreciated. Thanks
HAHA!

I changed my OT, never took the tubes out. No need.

Only time I have ever taken the tubes out was to change them...

Good luck. Follow the instructions best you can and you will be fine.

Here is the link to my OT swap:
http://www.marshallforum.com/marsha...dsl40c-information-thread-73.html#post1232225
Here is the link to SkylarPilot's OT swap:
http://www.marshallforum.com/marsha...dsl40c-information-thread-34.html#post1097387