• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

purpleplexi

Reaction score
its an odd thing - even attenuated, low volume, etc, i get ear fatigue from this amp, even at lower decibels (70-75). I tried eq'ing away the treble but it still happens. Theres gotta be some frequencies that are making my ears hurt. Not a ringing or anything, just sensitive/notice my ears

i havent noticed this with origin 20, or15 or drri. Has anyone else experienced this?

I used to get this. Plugged the speaker into the 8 ohm out andthat largely cured it. Just took the edge off. This is the combo but obviously you could do the same witha cab.

Silverdome

Reaction score
So I went through reverb and looked at all my usual wish list Marshalls and other amps to get a sense of where the market is at. Hoping these at some point these drop below 1k. 1987x 50 Watt amps caught my eye. Price wise the 1987x isn't too far off from the Sv20H wondering if anyone has tried a 1987x 50 Watt Plexi vs a studio classic.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
So I went through reverb and looked at all my usual wish list Marshalls and other amps to get a sense of where the market is at. Hoping these at some point these drop below 1k. 1987x 50 Watt amps caught my eye. Price wise the 1987x isn't too far off from the Sv20H wondering if anyone has tried a 1987x 50 Watt Plexi vs a studio classic.
Yes, I have both. If you can find one in nice condition, say for around $1200, the 1987x is way more amp for the money than the SV20. Both need attenuation, so the only downside to the 1987x is size/weight, if you're hauling it around. I would only buy the 1987x version that has the FX loop (early versions didn't have a loop).

Last edited:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi there guys!
I'm new here, this is my first post.
I am planning to buy the SV20c however I live in a flat.
Why buy that amp you'd ask me? Well because I want it.
I already have the anniversary 1w ofset and love so I wanted to get a bigger amp if I ever get a house and be able to run it at least on 5w.
For the tiome being I'd like to get the SV20c and use it with an attenuator. I think it's a great amp to have anbyway.
I want to ask for a good attenuator. I know it's been discussed allover the thread but I'd like some decent answer.
I've seen many suggesting the Weber minimass 50, but some say it alters the tone too much.
I had the Tube Amp Doctor Silencer a couple of years ago and was using it on my Supro Blues King 12 however I didn't like it much so I sold it.
So, I haven't got any attenuator at all and want to get the amp.
I am on a small Greek island so I'll have to order an attenuator and will not be able to test it or return it if it sucks.
Hope you guys can help.

Thanks in advance.
Tio
Don't know if you are sorted yet, but I have the Harley Benton PA100 from Thomann in Germany. Sounds great with my SV20. I also have a Bad Cat Unleash which was 5 times the price of the PA100....but it's not as good. Makes the amp sound dull when used as an attenuator, but great as a re-amp.

Silverdome

Reaction score
Yes, I have both. If you can find one in nice condition, say for around $1200, the 1987x is way more amp for the money than the SV20. Both need attenuation, so the only downside to the 1987x is size/weight, if you're hauling it around. I would only buy the 1987x version that has the FX loop (early versions didn't have a loop).

Appreciate it.

jeffb

Reaction score

Agree with everything MM says here barring the last sentence :D I've no need for a loop- someone else might. I bought my 1987x the first year after they scrapped the 1987s (93?). I know you can switch it out on the newer versions, but unless you need it do not overlook the original 1987x.

Orys

Reaction score
Don't know if you are sorted yet, but I have the Harley Benton PA100 from Thomann in Germany. Sounds great with my SV20. I also have a Bad Cat Unleash which was 5 times the price of the PA100....but it's not as good. Makes the amp sound dull when used as an attenuator, but great as a re-amp.

Thanks for the advise man.
Got the amp and the Weber minimass. It does the job I guess.
Explains why I've been away for a few days ;)
I have the treble at about 3.5 and high treble around 1.5 on 20w and the sound is awesome.
I use my JAM pedals Rooster to adjust the gain accordingly.

Last edited:

lespaulsg

Reaction score
if anyone is on the fence regarding an attenuator for their sv20h, sweetwater has the bugeras on sale for $69 - to which i would much recommend over the weber minimass https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PS1Atten--bugera-ps1-passive-100-watt-power-attenuator

unrelated - but thomanns got the sv212 cabinets for about half US retail - ive read the speakers in the sv212 arent well-regarded and id probably need to swap em out. I love my orange ppc 212v w/ creambacks but its orange and doesnt match the marshall - aside from aesthetics, is there any reason to get the sv 212 vertical cab?

Sustainium

Reaction score
if anyone is on the fence regarding an attenuator for their sv20h, sweetwater has the bugeras on sale for $69 - to which i would much recommend over the weber minimass https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PS1Atten--bugera-ps1-passive-100-watt-power-attenuator

unrelated - but thomanns got the sv212 cabinets for about half US retail - ive read the speakers in the sv212 arent well-regarded and id probably need to swap em out. I love my orange ppc 212v w/ creambacks but its orange and doesnt match the marshall - aside from aesthetics, is there any reason to get the sv 212 vertical cab?

V-Types / SV212
Creambacks / SC212
4B74377F-764D-4C31-8515-445D6AE09937.jpeg

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Call me crazy but I can't stand the dimensions of the vertical cabs. I prefer the size of the 2061cx so much more, wish they would release that again.

They can grow on you in person. I have the matching slant 2x12 cabinets for my 2525H and SV20H as well as a 2061CX. Sonically, i don't prefere one over the other. I agree though in wondering why they didn't just re-skin the 2061CX.

mad5066

Reaction score
They can grow on you in person. I have the matching slant 2x12 cabinets for my 2525H and SV20H as well as a 2061CX. Sonically, i don't prefere one over the other. I agree though in wondering why they didn't just re-skin the 2061CX.

gotcha fair enough, seems like it would have been cheaper just too. I guess the different dimensions doesn't affect it sonically that much either speaker selection choice aside.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call me crazy but I can't stand the dimensions of the vertical cabs. I prefer the size of the 2061cx so much more, wish they would release that again.
I’m with you mad! The aesthetics of those vertical 2-12 cabs just do not fit my eye, the 2061 is do much better looking imo. I even like the look of the horizontal 2-12 cabs better.

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
Oh, thanks.:yesway: :cool:yes, I have tried that at home on the 1959, IIRC when I have a fussy pedal hitting the front end, since there is no effects loop. I stick with the Y for the 1992 most the time, and for gigs.

Looking forward to this weekend though, when I get the SV head. I will at least play it for a couple of weeks before it makes its transition into a Superbass. It will be nice having an effects loop handling some of the pedals that slam the front end.

Just a note…..I nodded mine to a Superbass (67/68 plexi specs) the week I got it home in 2019. Maybe even the day of < I don’t remember. I have zero regrets and it makes it sound like 94% of the tone my vintage 1968 plexi. One other note. I rolled tubes for a year. I finally ended up using old Sylvania 6CA7s. No el34s had the effect of those “Van Halen” tubes. It warmed the chime a little and fattened the lower mids. It made the SV20 sound even more like my vintage plexi. The vintage plexi always runs Siemens/RFTs or XF2s, and those 6ca7s are the closest match.

Orys

Reaction score
Just a note…..I nodded mine to a Superbass (67/68 plexi specs) the week I got it home in 2019. Maybe even the day of < I don’t remember. I have zero regrets and it makes it sound like 94% of the tone my vintage 1968 plexi. One other note. I rolled tubes for a year. I finally ended up using old Sylvania 6CA7s. No el34s had the effect of those “Van Halen” tubes. It warmed the chime a little and fattened the lower mids. It made the SV20 sound even more like my vintage plexi. The vintage plexi always runs Siemens/RFTs or XF2s, and those 6ca7s are the closest match.

I just got a few JAN 12AX7WAs and was looking for a matched pair of EL34 SED Winged "C".
Should I look for the Sylvania 6CA7s?

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
I have both. In the sv20 I’d use the Syl 6ca7. Although be warned I feel like they have less crunch when cranked than any of the true el34s. But the EQ with the 6ca7 works well with this already excessively bright amp. Get both.

Silverdome

Reaction score
Rambling post where I just put my thoughts out there....

So life works in funny ways. Proud JCM900 SLX 50 Watt owner and all it takes is a SV20H to show up at our local guitar store and I have serious guitar amp acquiring syndrome...

Only way I can pull it off is if I sell the JCM900 and with the prices of those shooting up I don't know if getting it back will be as easy. At the time I bought it Reverb was log jammed with all sorts of JCM 900's people were unloading.

That being said I've always been a classic rock guy my interest in Marshall's are based around The Stooges, MC5, Hendrix, Jimmy Page etc and that is all plexi. Wondering if I should just step up to the plate and get the real deal? When I bought the 900 it seemed like the best bang for the buck option I was aware of that would get close to where I wanted to be.

I guess my only thought is the 20 watts loud enough for a good loud band situation? Bass player plays through an SVT...

At any rate heading to the guitar store today to give it a try.