• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

• Thread starter Michael Roe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ed A

Reaction score
ANY MODS FOR MORE BASS?

Hey guys. I just picked up a new SV20 head yesterday. I’m playing it through a 1x12 with an old JBL D120. Amp sounds great, better than I expected. I play it with High Treble volume on 8 to 9. And mixing in Normal volume at around 4 to 5. Convincing plexi tones, I just wish I can get more bottom out of the amp! At the volume I’m playing the bright cap is pretty much already pulled out. My issue is if I try to mix in more of the Normal volume the bottom end gets muddy. I’m guessing due to the small transformers. Same happens if I try to mix in more bass. Overall the amp sounds great but a bit hard and brittle. So I am going to try a set of Mullard XF2s I have on the shelf and some other preamp tubes. I’m sure I can soften it and sweeten it a bit. But I don’t think those things will give me a bigger and tighter bottom end.

I am new to this amp and sorry I have not gone through the couple hundred pages here but wondering if there are any mods I can do to the circuit to fatten that bottom end?! Thanks!

Last edited:

G the wildman

Reaction score
ANY MODS FOR MORE BASS?

Hey guys. I just picked up a new SV20 head yesterday. I’m playing it through a 1x12 with an old JBL D120. Amp sounds great, better than I expected. I play it with High Treble volume on 8 to 9. And mixing in Normal volume at around 4 to 5. Convincing plexi tones, I just wish I can get more bottom out of the amp! At the volume I’m playing the bright cap is pretty much already pulled out. My issue is if I try to mix in more of the Normal volume the bottom end gets muddy. I’m guessing due to the small transformers. Same happens if I try to mix in more bass. Overall the amp sounds great but a bit hard and brittle. So I am going to try a set of Mullard XF2s I have on the shelf and some other preamp tubes. I’m sure I can soften it and sweeten it a bit. But I don’t think those things will give me a bigger and tighter bottom end.

I am new to this amp and sorry I have not gone through the couple hundred pages here but wondering if there are any mods I can do to the circuit to fatten that bottom end?! Thanks!

I have an eq pedal in front of mine. It does the job fine. Really warms it.

I got the tip on this thread. I will see If I can find the it for you.

G

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Ed A, You should try an eq pedal like @G the wildman suggested, they work great to shape your tone while being able to add or subtract bass, treble, and mids.

One thing I’ll add to what G said, I’ve found an eq pedal works great in the loop, instead of in front.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
ANY MODS FOR MORE BASS?

Different speakers and different cabs def can help. I played the SV20 and the 1959HW back to back today out of a bunch of cabs. The 100w does have a bigger low end but going through an EV loaded thiele made a big difference in the low end with both amps compared to my Celestion cabs and even the one w/Fanes which usually has more ‘body’.

I don’t need a lot of bottom end myself—it’s all about the KERRANG for me. I run through the treble channel, then stomp on a Klone or TS9 type thing which cuts the low end even more. The EV/thiele combo has plenty of stones tho. And the 12L CAN’T fart out on you.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
@Ed A, You should try an eq pedal like @G the wildman suggested, they work great to shape your tone while being able to add or subtract bass, treble, and mids.

One thing I’ll add to what G said, I’ve found an eq pedal works great in the loop, instead of in front.
Absolutely but some loops can be picky with EQs—lots of combos of pedal EQs I’ve tried have added a lot of noise.

junk notes

Reaction score
ANY MODS FOR MORE BASS?

edit: updated image

No mods, but have you tried this 1x12 setup? I am playing around with this currently, tweaking levels on both the amp and inline *preamp pedal and getting added lows to the bottom. Similar to the affects of a 'loudness' button at low volume levels, less the mud. YMMV
*might as well try an EQ pedal :hmm:

Last edited:

purpleplexi

Reaction score
My current settings are into normal high gain, jumper to the bright high, both volumes on 3 o clock. Treat it like a single channel amp and eq to taste. I use a pedal. Like @tallcoolone above I like it really tight at the bottom - the more bass I can loose the better without the high notes sounding thin. With these settings it sounds pretty good to me.

Sacalait

Reaction score
IMO, the "lack of bottom" on an SV20 is because of the lack of headroom like the big brothers have. Any 50 or 100 watt tube amp will have substantially more bottom than the SV20. It just comes with the territory. I, personally, don't care about it but I've never rocked a 1987 or 1959 in a big joint so...

junk notes

Reaction score
ANY MODS FOR MORE BASS?

No mods, but have you tried this 1x12 setup? I am playing around with this currently, tweaking levels on both the amp and inline *preamp pedal and getting added lows to the bottom. Similar to the affects of a 'loudness' button at low volume levels, less the mud. YMMV
*might as well try an EQ pedal :hmm:
This evening I got around to trying an EQ with that 1x12 setup and it was soo good! (I used a old MXR six-band).
Preamp pedal is out. The EQ pedal is the way to go!

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This evening I got around to trying an EQ with that 1x12 setup and it was soo good! (I used a old MXR six-band).
Preamp pedal is out. The EQ pedal is the way to go!

Yup, agreed Junk, I have a Danelectro Fish and Chips eq pedal in the loop of my SC20 specifically to add a bit of low end. These 20 watts amps just don’t have the iron to get the bigger bottom end of their 50 or 100 watt amp counterparts, or lots of headroom either.

An eq pedal in the loop gives you a nice easy way to shape your tone, adding or subtracting certain frequencies. Mine has replaced my full size TC Spark boost, and it’s always on.

johan.b

Reaction score
Yup, agreed Junk, I have a Danelectro Fish and Chips eq pedal in the loop of my SC20 specifically to add a bit of low end. These 20 watts amps just don’t have the iron to get the bigger bottom end of their 50 or 100 watt amp counterparts, or lots of headroom either.

An eq pedal in the loop gives you a nice easy way to shape your tone, adding or subtracting certain frequencies. Mine has replaced my full size TC Spark boost, and it’s always on.

I think what you're hearing is simply more power, not bigger iron... after all, in 5 watt mode, both power and output iron are oversized by a factor of 4...

junk notes

Reaction score
Hello,
Does anybody know how I should connect my Marshall SV CAb with the Sv20c? (Like including the combo cab)
Greets
:welcome:
Simply unplug the internal speaker from 1x16Ω, and plug that into one of the 2x16Ω input jacks. Then, plug the SV112 into the adjacent 2x16Ω speaker jack. crank!

edit: like this
sv.jpg

Last edited: