Trade Hiwatt Custom 100 for JVM JSH?

• Thread starter The Ozzk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
Guys I need your input.

So the opportunity is there to trade my Hiwatt for a JSH... I believe we are about $750-$1000 apart on my favor.

Is the JSH that good?

I don't think I would do it unless I get $750 and the JS.

What do you guys think? :hmm:

I appreciate your help.

:wave:

SFK

Reaction score
What don't you like about your hiwatt?

lovehifi

Reaction score
Love my HJS. Best amp I have owned but never owned the Hiwatt. Only owned the EVH 5150iii and JVM410H and much happier with the HJS. Probably because it fits my style of playing better. However only your ears can tell you if you will like it.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
What don't you like about your hiwatt?

Good question... there is not much I don't like about it.

It's the best at what it does. Clean, punchy and articulate crunch.

I can think of a 100 reasons why I like it and not too many why I don't. I doesn't do "hi-gain" too well, but again, I don't play with lots of gain and you just don't do that on a Hiwatt anyway. :hmm:

I also like that the Hiwatt is PTP and any decent tech can fix it.

I had 2 JVM's and didn't like them, but I've heard/read that the JSH is different, less gain and more articulation.

lovehifi

Reaction score
Good question... there is not much I don't like about it.

It's the best at what it does. Clean, punchy and articulate crunch.

I can think of a 100 reasons why I like it and not too many why I don't. I doesn't do "hi-gain" too well, but again, I don't play with lots of gain and you just don't do that on a Hiwatt anyway. :hmm:

I also like that the Hiwatt is PTP and any decent tech can fix it.

I had 2 JVM's and didn't like them, but I've heard/read that the JSH is different, less gain and more articulation.

Exactly my experience going from the 410H to the HJS. Still has all the gain one could possibly want but seems to be more tunable and adjustable to my liking. I tried just bringing the gain down on the 410H but when I did it became very thin and fuzzy sounding to my ears. I don't have that problem with the HJS and I absolutely love the Crunch and Clean channels. Like the OD channels as well using the mid scoop feature on OD2. The HJS just seems voiced differently than the 410H and more usable. Seems tighter too especially on lower notes and strings. The built in noise gates work great too. I don't do metal but play classic rock to 80s type stuff. I also play some country and blues. The HJS just seems to hit home on just about anything I want to play. I'm using greenbacks x 4. Just my opinion and experience.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
if I had your stable of amp gear I wouldn't do it myself.
I'm sure the JMD can do just about anything the JSH can do but I've never played either one so....

if you have the occassion & opportunity to crank the Hiwatt often I'd keep it. I could probably guarantee the JSH won't be as organic.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
Exactly my experience going from the 410H to the HJS. Still has all the gain one could possibly want but seems to be more tunable and adjustable to my liking. I tried just bringing the gain down on the 410H but when I did it became very thin and fuzzy sounding to my ears. I don't have that problem with the HJS and I absolutely love the Crunch and Clean channels. Like the OD channels as well using the mid scoop feature on OD2. The HJS just seems voiced differently than the 410H and more usable. Seems tighter too especially on lower notes and strings. The built in noise gates work great too. I don't do metal but play classic rock to 80s type stuff. I also play some country and blues. The HJS just seems to hit home on just about anything I want to play. I'm using greenbacks x 4. Just my opinion and experience.

Thanks for your input lovehifi, very helpful. :yesway:

The Ozzk

Reaction score
if I had your stable of amp gear I wouldn't do it myself.
I'm sure the JMD can do just about anything the JSH can do but I've never played either one so....

if you have the occassion & opportunity to crank the Hiwatt often I'd keep it. I could probably guarantee the JSH won't be as organic.

Dayum.... brother, you just brought it back home. I do get to crank the Hiwatt once a week. The JMD does stock JVM better than the actual stock JVM AND has the noise gate too. :hmm:

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I know SonVolt was in the market for a HJS, let see if he comes over. :yesway:

I'm all over the place. I'd buy the Browneye but Sweetwater doesn't carry Friedman and I've got a $1,650 credit with them. I've been looking at the Bogner Helios and the JVM:JS. So far the Bogner demos haven't been all that impressive to me. The JVM:JS sounds similar to the Browneye but I just worry about the build quality if I'm paying $2,500+ for an amp.

The Ozzk

Reaction score
I'm all over the place. I'd buy the Browneye but Sweetwater doesn't carry Friedman and I've got a $1,650 credit with them. I've been looking at the Bogner Helios and the JVM:JS. So far the Bogner demos haven't been all that impressive to me. The JVM:JS sounds similar to the Browneye but I just worry about the build quality if I'm paying $2,500+ for an amp.
Not a good situation. :cool: At least the JS will move fast if you decide to sell it.

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
True. Sweetwater also sells an Egnater SW45 which is a handwired Plexi made in California for around $1,500. I think it's exclusive to Sweetwater so I don't know how many people know about this amp. Sounds great but I'm hesitant with it not being a production model.

Egnater SW45 45-watt Handwired Tube Head | Sweetwater.com

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGtFxRWmUyc]Egnater SW45 Sweetwater Exclusive Tube Amplifier Demo - Sweetwater Guitars and Gear Vol. 52 - YouTube[/ame]

The Ozzk

Reaction score
True. Sweetwater also sells an Egnater SW45 which is a handwired Plexi made in California for around $1,500. I think it's exclusive to Sweetwater so I don't know how many people know about this amp. Sounds great but I'm hesitant with it not being a production model.

Egnater SW45 45-watt Handwired Tube Head | Sweetwater.com

Egnater SW45 Sweetwater Exclusive Tube Amplifier Demo - Sweetwater Guitars and Gear Vol. 52 - YouTube

That sounds really good. But given that it's not your preferred choice (you want a Friedman) how's the used/trade market for the SW45?

Would you be able to trade it or sell it to fund the Friedman if you decided to do so?

Marker

Reaction score
I doubt anyone's actually bought the Egnater so the used market is probably nill :lol:

Probably the demand for it is nill as well....
A Marshall will always be a Marshall and the HJS will always have a buyer. As for the tones, it's orange and apples; that Egnater seems to be punchy, raw, standard rock n' roll tone and I wasn't impressed with the tones on the demo, seem to be pretty standard.
The HJS is smoothness fat singing sustained lead tones and loads of possibilities.
I would take the HJS any day, specially since I have other amps that cover the kind of ground the Egnater seems to cover.

LMP2204

Reaction score
Keep the HIWATT! you can go to any guitar center or music shop and probably find a jvm, however how often do you see hiwatts up for sale? not too often because they sound friggin awesome and can be hard to find. the hiwatt may not do what the jvm can but it does something that not many other amps can do. as much as I love my marshalls I still think my dr103s is one of the best sounding amps ive ever played. not as crunchy or high gain but once you get some speakers cookin that thing sings. then throw a big muff in the mix and your staring jesus in the face.

Keep it or you will loose sleep and regret it all:shred:

Latest posts