Tribute Madness

• Thread starter Oldpunk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ricksconnected

Reaction score
IMHO seeing a bunch of wanna bes play pretend to be someone else and a house full of peoiple paying to see them. Am I the only one who thinks that its a joke?

As an artist I just dont get it.

isnt that pretty much all movie actors too?
why call them wanna-be's? they are out there playing and having fun doing what they are doing. i wouldnt insult them for that. thats kinda like looking down your nose at them.
that to me is like climbing a ladder and looking below at the next man, instead of giving him a hand up to the next step, you start trying to kick him off the ladder. just my opinion artist.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
OK, so what is the friggin deal with all the tribute bands these days.... Dont/cant people write their own tunes anymore or are they just too lazy. Its pretty funny IMHO seeing a bunch of wanna bes play pretend to be someone else and a house full of peoiple paying to see them. Am I the only one who thinks that its a joke?

If you don't get, then you don't get it. You might not even get it after this thread.

I could list a 1000 reasons why a person would like to do it, and even leave out the material reasons.
I've seen some really good tribute bands. Been in a few myself.

Being in a tribute band, doesn't mean that the members don't have original projects on the go too. So-you might be viewing the scene with blinkers on.

Last edited:

flyinguitars

Reaction score
where is a 17 yr old making 3-4 grand a night anyways?
for what band?

We can make that depending on the venue.....plus meals, travel expenses, and hotel too. That kind of money is possible in the 2000 seat and bigger venues. It depends on the deal and bonuses and then add merch it can be more.

flyinguitars

Reaction score
Fjp what part of nj?
We are playing Penn's peak in jim Thorpe pa on November 13.

Bear R.

Reaction score
I love it man..i think what you guys are doing is freakin awesome..it's like a blast into the past..esp. with a singer that looks and sounds like Ozzy, and a young man that plays spot on Randy licks..it's Incredible..you guys are a very unique for a cover band..Like I said before, I cant wait for you guys to hit the west coast..i will be there, I don't care if I do gotta travel 3 hours to your guys' show..i love the old Ozzy-Randy Rhoads tunes..i mean, I know you play a few others too, but the show is based on the Randy years..I love that..

Bear R.

Reaction score
but I'm not sure we have the same taste in music....I only like the good kind. ;)

you owe it to yourself do your own research. that's you homework assignment for tonight.

:yesway:

Ya..and we wanna see A's on that report card..ha,ha..

don't be bringing home anymore C's...ha,ha..

just kiddin Vin..

Bear R.

Reaction score
Hey Ricky..from what I saw of your Trower tribute band, that was great too..I liked it...A lot..

If I ever had a chance or wanted to do a tribute band, it would be either a DIO or Metallica tribute...but old DIO, or Old Metallica..that would be cool..

FJP467

Reaction score
Fjp what part of nj?
We are playing Penn's peak in jim Thorpe pa on November 13.

I am local to you guys. I am in South Jersey in Winslow Twp. I looked into the Jim Thorpe show but unfortunately can not make. We will be visiting my daughter in Florida. Hopefully we can catch you in the very near future.

flyinguitars

Reaction score
I am local to you guys. I am in South Jersey in Winslow Twp. I looked into the Jim Thorpe show but unfortunately can not make. We will be visiting my daughter in Florida. Hopefully we can catch you in the very near future.

Oh wow......cool!

We are hoping for a Fillmore date and some other local dates in the future....maybe even an AC date. I wish the house of blues was still there!

I will try to remember and give you a shout when something comes up.

FJP467

Reaction score
Oh wow......cool!

We are hoping for a Fillmore date and some other local dates in the future....maybe even an AC date. I wish the house of blues was still there!

I will try to remember and give you a shout when something comes up.

Very cool. Definitely keep me in the loop if you can. Me and a few of my peeps are really looking forward to seeing you guys play.

Harlequin tusk

Reaction score
I dig good cover bands, it's fun to hear music you like without having to spend big$$$$ to hear it. Me personally I hope "flying guitars" gets his band to the Paramount in Huntington NY.

I do see the original ops point though....

J.Arden

Reaction score
I think you have to keep in mind the current social mindset....even "supply and demand".
I think people today are wanting to like what they believe everyone else likes, even more so, than twenty years ago.
The "supply" today is huge, thanks to the internet and Youtube. Twenty years ago if a band had an awesome song that really kicked a$$, word got around and made it popular, because radio stations were only playing 20 top songs over and over again.
Just in my opinion, bands that play covers, are displaying their talent even more so, because there is an example to judge them by. They are "covers", because they are coveted songs, so, to do it good, shows a good degree of talent.
I think a musician plays to be heard, and recognized, in that order, and people are more apt to want to hear, what they already know they like.
Musicians aren't just guitar players. They are pianists', violinist's, horn players.....etc.
Some of the most world renown master musicians, are still playing "covers". Like Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, and others.

Yes, I agree though, it doesn't make sense for a "composer" to play covers, but not all musicians are composers, and not all composers are musicians. Some are dam good at both, but they are each in their perspective fields.

ricksconnected

Reaction score
I think you have to keep in mind the current social mindset....even "supply and demand".
I think people today are wanting to like what they believe everyone else likes, even more so, than twenty years ago.
The "supply" today is huge, thanks to the internet and Youtube. Twenty years ago if a band had an awesome song that really kicked a$$, word got around and made it popular, because radio stations were only playing 20 top songs over and over again.
Just in my opinion, bands that play covers, are displaying their talent even more so, because there is an example to judge them by. They are "covers", because they are coveted songs, so, to do it good, shows a good degree of talent.
I think a musician plays to be heard, and recognized, in that order, and people are more apt to want to hear, what they already know they like.
Musicians aren't just guitar players. They are pianists', violinist's, horn players.....etc.
Some of the most world renown master musicians, are still playing "covers". Like Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Haydn, and others.

Yes, I agree though, it doesn't make sense for a "composer" to play covers, but not all musicians are composers, and not all composers are musicians. Some are dam good at both, but they are each in their perspective fields.

:applause::applause::applause::applause:

flyinguitars

Reaction score
post up some videos.
If that was for me here's some clips the kid was just 16 in these clips.

https://youtu.be/ljfZnoCw1dY
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljfZnoCw1dY[/ame]

https://youtu.be/A0eUgpTZunA
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0eUgpTZunA[/ame]

https://youtu.be/_SLURE6aE0Y
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SLURE6aE0Y[/ame]

https://youtu.be/LzIWiUvMT6Q
[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzIWiUvMT6Q[/ame]

back to the topic - To the OP:

Btw I don't want take over the thread just trying to elaborate on my reasoning for doing what im doing now. Like I said earlier, I've been involved in a lot of different projects and positions as a guitarist. I've been a guitarist most of my life and took lessons as a kid, studied in high school, went to music college, and then made a living playing for 20+ years.

I'm not the greatest but im not the worst and this tribute band is just another part of my musical life. I definitely don't think im in the real band (ozzy) and I don't dress up like one of his band members. Actually, only our singer dresses like ozzy and looks a lot like him so it kinda works (I think). The rest of us just go as ourselves. ..but my son does use similar guitars and gear as Randy Rhoads.

Our whole thing is to try and recreate the album or recorded versions of the songs as close as possible. Don't kid yourself, it is not easy..lol. it takes a lot of work to get something really accurate and then go out and nail it that way in front of a huge audience in a theater/arena style venue. It can be challenging because of all of the typical live show scenarios (monitor mix, can't see because of lighting, stage too big, etc). Doing originals you can just keep it tight and do your thing, but when your doing a tribute with accuracy in mind, its a whole new set of challenges.

I'm having fun and my kid is too. The band is more of a "show" or presentation than other bands that I have been involved with....

Also I have to mention this...and this I can get used to lol....people who come out are usually big fans of Ozzy and they are always super nice to us. I've had my share of drunken morons heckling the band in other projects....none of that in this band. Its very much a mutual celebration of the music.

zachman

Reaction score
OK, so what is the friggin deal with all the tribute bands these days.... Dont/cant people write their own tunes anymore or are they just too lazy.

As an artist, perhaps you can appreciate the art of doing business/making a living, as a separate art from writing music, playing an instrument, or entertaining a crowd.

Ever tried multi-tasking? Often, gigging players are involved in multiple projects simultaneously.

Its pretty funny IMHO seeing a bunch of wanna bes play pretend to be someone else and a house full of peoiple paying to see them. Am I the only one who thinks that its a joke?

As an 'artist', perhaps you can relate to not being able to please everyone? Oh, the irony.

Those who can, do. Those who whine about those who can and are doing well, while remaining unknown 'artists', are pretty much irrelevant.

You remind me of the joke...

How many guitarists does it take to change a light bulb?

99-- 1 to change the light bulb, and the other 98 to stand around and talk about how they could've done it better.

As an artist, one should appreciate that there are many arts. Do you get that?

There are a lot of starving 'artists' out there.

Are they somehow more noble, in your view, than those who are successfully achieving their goals, using music as the means?

Latest posts