TUBE Facts and Info by MartyStrat54

• Thread starter MartyStrat54
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
It's hard to say. Amp manufacturer's will strike a deal with a tube producer for a large lot. Before they run out, they strike another deal and it may be with a different company, so it changes all the time. They could be as old as the 90's.

As for now, Fender acquired Groove Tubes in the summer of 2008. Fender sells all the old Groove Tubes under the Fender logo.

Before acquiring GT, Fender wanted to expand their accessories line and they bought tubes and they were relabeled Fender.

After all, Fender does not make an EL34 guitar amp.

ORANGECAP

Reaction score
i have ruby el34b-str in a jcm 800. without even playing a guitar they get way to hot to touch an i just had it seviced. is that hot normal

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
If the amp has been serviced, I'm assuming the bias has been checked or adjusted. This being the case, power tubes do get hot and dissipate a lot of heat. It's normal.

You should not touch hot power tubes as they can cause burns.

keennay

Reaction score
Great thread!

Now which Shuguang for V1 are we talking about? 12AX7-A or B?

keennay

Reaction score
Oh wow, more options!

I have with me a couple of different tubes and so far here's my favorite configuration for my JMP 2203:

V1 - Shugaung 12AX7B (It just says 'CHINA' on it lol, so I'm guessing that's a Shuguang?)
V2 - Sovtek 12AX7WA (Originally had a GT-ECC83 but preferred the Sovtek)
V3 - Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH

I've done a bit of Google-ing & I've read good things about Mullard NOS 12AX7's or Sovtek 12AX7LPS' being used as PI tubes for more gain. Now I don't really wanna pay an arm/leg for Mullard NOS tubes, but just curious what all have you tried as PI tubes?

I also have the following tubes in my TubeStore cart:
(3) Mullard 12AX7, (3) Tung-Sol 12AX7, (3) Shuguang 12AX7A

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the GT is also a Shuguang, just a different version. Your V1 Shuguang with "CHINA" on it are the one's that can be noisy. If you got a quiet one, they are good tubes. It's probably a Generation 8 Shuguang.

I don't really care for Sovtek stuff. Some people do. Instead of buying nine preamp tubes, you should just get three or four good ones. For your JMP, I would go with a couple of the Ruby Shuguang AC7 HG+ and use the EH in the PI. Or you could get a new JJ ECC83 for the PI. The Sovtek LPS is another popular PI tube.

I've tried all sorts of tubes in the PI slot. If you have good tubes, then you can always put one in the PI. However, I really like a high gain Sylvania Grey Plate for a PI tube.

I also like a ribbed plate Telefunken for a PI, but if you have one of those, it should go in the V1 slot. Mullard or Amperex make great PI tubes as well.

The main thing about a 2203 is that to get the very best crunch out of it, you need some high gain tubes in the amp. That's why I recommend the Ruby Shuguangs. For the money, they are really decent.

keennay

Reaction score
Keep in mind that the GT is also a Shuguang, just a different version. Your V1 Shuguang with "CHINA" on it are the one's that can be noisy. If you got a quiet one, they are good tubes. It's probably a Generation 8 Shuguang.

I have no clue if the extra "noise" I'm hearing is attributed to my V1 China tube, but I'll keep that in mind.

I don't really care for Sovtek stuff. Some people do. Instead of buying nine preamp tubes, you should just get three or four good ones. For your JMP, I would go with a couple of the Ruby Shuguang AC7 HG+ and use the EH in the PI. Or you could get a new JJ ECC83 for the PI. The Sovtek LPS is another popular PI tube.

I definitely noticed a difference when swapping my GT ECC83 tube for a Sovtek, although I'm not sure I'd notice one if I swapped my V1 China w/ V2 Sovtek. My intention was to try 3 of the same preamp tubes in one amp, but I'm no longer sure that's the best route. My other JMP 2203 (with 6550 power tubes) has JJ ECC83's which I don't like.

The configuration there was:
V1 - Electro-Harmonix 12AX7EH
V2 - JJ ECC83S
V3 - JJ ECC83S

At first I swapped the Electro-Harmonix into V3 & didn't notice a difference, but man the amp sounded a lot better with the Shuguang in V1 & Sovtek in V2. I bet if I did a blind A/B test of this JMP 2203 with 6550 tubes vs. the other JMP 2203 with EL-34's, I wouldn't be able to decide which I preferred!

I've tried all sorts of tubes in the PI slot. If you have good tubes, then you can always put one in the PI. However, I really like a high gain Sylvania Grey Plate for a PI tube.

I also like a ribbed plate Telefunken for a PI, but if you have one of those, it should go in the V1 slot. Mullard or Amperex make great PI tubes as well.

The main thing about a 2203 is that to get the very best crunch out of it, you need some high gain tubes in the amp. That's why I recommend the Ruby Shuguangs. For the money, they are really decent.

Looks like I'll be purchasing 2 Shuguangs and at least one Slyvania & one Sovtek LPS. :cool:

Thanks again.

plexilespaul

Reaction score
hey marty i just dug a pair of old sylvania fat bottle 6ca7-el 34's....do you have experience with these tubes?
i want to put them in my 2204's jcm 800 (currently there are groove tubes in there). what should i expect tone wise with these puppies?
are these good tubes for the 2204 circuit?
thanks

Last edited:

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Those are great tubes for a 2204. I ran a set in my 2204 until a week ago, I switched over to the TAD EL34's and gave the Sylvania's a break.

As long as they are strong (and they usually are) they should be just fine.

You will notice that the overall tone is smoother from the mids to the highs and there will be a little more top end sparkle. An EL34 is more throaty in the midrange, but doesn't have the bottom and top end response of the Sylvania's. If you need more mids, you can use the tone controls.

EVH used the Sylvania 6CA7's and he sounded pretty good. :)

EndGame00

Reaction score
Question about stock Marshall preamp tubes...

I've been experimenting with combination of preamp tubes to both of my DSL15 and Fargen Mini Plex

the DSL loves the JJ preamp on V1 and V2 and a JAN 5751 as PI

the Fargen loves the Marshall - Sovtek combination.

Can anyone tell me which manufacturer/brand/maker this one Marshall relabeled preamp comes from?

Marshall ECC83 VLVE-90067

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I don't know of any Marshall labeled tubes beginning with a 9.

Post a clear picture of it over on the Preamp Tube thread. It will be ID'd.

sccloser

Reaction score
What happened to the old tube discussion threads? I can't find them.

Marty and/or Alan.... What is a good 6L6 for a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Amp?

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
The tube threads are in the Workbench section, but unfortunately they have been sort of inactive lately.

My favorite 6L6GC is the TAD. It is available in a short or tall bottle. Highly recommended.