What amp will get me far enough away from the Marshall sound? Vox, Supro, other?

• Thread starter FleshOnGear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What non-Marshall should I get next?

• Vox AC15TBX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Supro combo

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Other

Votes: 8 72.7%

• Total voters

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s going to be a long time before I can afford another tube amp, but I can’t help wondering what the next addition to my amp collection should be. I feel like I have my bases covered for Marshall tones, so I’m looking elsewhere for unique sounds.

Right now my top contenders are the Vox AC15TBX and some model of Supro (I’m not totally sure which one, but maybe a Dual Tone, Coronado, or a Black Magick). The AC15TBX was from the last era of Vox amps built in England, and comes with tube driven reverb and tremolo. I like the idea of having that crisp, barking Vox overdrive tone. As far as the Supro goes, I’m interested in that slightly lo-fi, compressed, funky overdrive those amps are known to have. Early Zeppelin is the inspiration. I might even look at a vintage Supro.

Is there something else I should consider? I’m open to ideas, as long as they aren’t very Marshally. What would you choose? Thanks for humoring me, folks. Cheers.

PelliX

Reaction score
I can't tell you whether you'll like the amp, but a VOX AC15 (most versions) are a bloody good thing to have. I have a C1, and I wouldn't say (without perhaps really A/B-ing them next to each other) that's there much to be gained from the valve driven reverb or tremolo - but I'm not arguing against them! :D

I'm done as for guitar amps I want, pretty much. A cheap SV head might tickle my fancy or perhaps a Hammond which would not only be in use for guitar. The latter is more likely.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't tell you whether you'll like the amp, but a VOX AC15 (most versions) are a bloody good thing to have. I have a C1, and I wouldn't say (without perhaps really A/B-ing them next to each other) that's there much to be gained from the valve driven reverb or tremolo - but I'm not arguing against them! :D

I'm done as for guitar amps I want, pretty much. A cheap SV head might tickle my fancy or perhaps a Hammond which would not only be in use for guitar. The latter is more likely.
Yeah, I’m leaning toward the Vox at the moment. I’m not a snob about tube driven reverb and trem. The made in England TB and TBX are supposedly as close to the old JMI Voxes as they ever got in more recent years; that’s my main rationale for buying one of those models.

PelliX

Reaction score
Sure, go with whatever floats your boat - lots of great stuff in VOX-land! Just a side-note, I can't ever recall seeing an AC15 with a valve tremolo, it effectively just ramps up the bias on the EL84's thus supressing the signal flow. Maybe there have been some, but I can't recall even ever seeing a schematic for that.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, go with whatever floats your boat - lots of great stuff in VOX-land! Just a side-note, I can't ever recall seeing an AC15 with a valve tremolo, it effectively just ramps up the bias on the EL84's thus supressing the signal flow. Maybe there have been some, but I can't recall even ever seeing a schematic for that.
Here ya go! And here’s the power amp schematic.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I walked into a guitar shop last year, saw a 5W Delta King 10, played it, and bought it. These are sleeper amps that sound almost as good as a hand-wired circuit. Affordable and you will play it.

I would have got the 15W Delta King 12 but it has a different set of power tubes (6L6). I wanted a 6V6 system.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
I'm a fan of both the Vox AC15 and the Supro Blues/Delta King series', but if were in that neighborhood I'd take a long look at a Fender Blues Jr.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I'm currently enjoying my latest amp a home built tweed deluxe, 15 watts of amaze balls tones! :yesway:

DqRnF4t.jpg

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm currently enjoying my latest amp a home built tweed deluxe, 15 watts of amaze balls tones! :yesway:

DqRnF4t.jpg
I’ve considered tweed Fenders. Part of me feels like maybe that doesn’t get far enough away from the Marshall sound, since Marshalls were based on the tweed Bassman. But, I know there were a lot of different circuits used by Fender in the smaller tweed amps. I guess I just don’t know which ones to consider.
I'm a fan of both the Vox AC15 and the Supro Blues/Delta King series', but if were in that neighborhood I'd take a long look at a Fender Blues Jr.
I have a Peavey Classic 30, and I wonder if that’s not too far off from what the Blues Jr. does. I also wonder if there’s much overlap between the Classic 30 and the other amps I’m considering.

Thanks for the ideas, guys!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I’ve considered tweed Fenders. Part of me feels like maybe that doesn’t get far enough away from the Marshall sound, since Marshalls were based on the tweed Bassman. But, I know there were a lot of different circuits used by Fender in the smaller tweed amps. I guess I just don’t know which ones to consider.

I have a Peavey Classic 30, and I wonder if that’s not too far off from what the Blues Jr. does. I also wonder if there’s much overlap between the Classic 30 and the other amps I’m considering.

Thanks for the ideas, guys!
Based on what you already own I'm thinking you need a profiling amp like an Axe FX or Kemper. You can download any amp you want!

Smellytele

Reaction score
I think any of the Dumble style ODS circuits would give you a different flavor, as would most Boogies.

ampeq

Reaction score
I think any of the Dumble style ODS circuits would give you a different flavor, as would most Boogies.
I too would look at Mesa. The Fillmore 50w combo would be awesome. To go with Dumble ODS, or Several other American style amps, look at Ceriatone.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Get a Supro Delta King regardless because the tone quality is off the charts at that price point. Usually costs three times that. Supro flagship amps are not cheap, though.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
For old school classic rock particularly Zep and early purple a vox ac30 is absolutely spot on ( only vox’s ive owned ) and I’m sure the ac15 is near enough the same sounding .

Clifdawg

Reaction score
I once played a Supro Delta King 8, which is a little 1-watt, 8” combo.

That sound was unlike anything I had ever heard. Thick, fuzzy, but with a low-end tightness that made big power chords absolutely sing. Absolutely DID NOT sound like an 8” combo.

Only reason I didn’t buy it that day is because I needed a versatile all-in-one amp while I live with family and build a house, and a 1-watter wasn’t going to cut it. That said, the line-out is designed to be run into another amp’s input so you can use the preamp as a standalone distortion unit, too.

Of course you can get it in 5-watt, 10-inch version and a 15-watt, 12-inch version. Word on the street is that the 10” is the best version.