What Music Are You Listening To Right Now ??

• Thread starter Red Solo Cup
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Always a favorite.
people always talk about the magic/warmth of vinyl, but, reel tape can be rewarding too. Vinyl has a lot of flaws in it. Tape has it's set too, but, the recording has less noticeable stuff. Probably a bit less fidelity, as far as freq range & also compression/dynamics, but, when compared to CD, or mp3, it's definitely a nice change.

I forgot that I had this digitized, in this fashion...

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
people always talk about the magic/warmth of vinyl, but, reel tape can be rewarding too. Vinyl has a lot of flaws in it. Tape has it's set too, but, the recording has less noticeable stuff. Probably a bit less fidelity, as far as freq range & also compression/dynamics, but, when compared to CD, or mp3, it's definitely a nice change.

I forgot that I had this digit.ized, in this fashion...
I have never sat and listen to reel-to-reel.
My uncle had one when I was a kid but that was before I got into listening to music.
Then again I have never heard a vinyl on a $3000 turntable through a $20k amplifier setup with $10k stereo speakers.
So, how do you compare? I decided not to be rich so I will never know.
I just like to listen to whatever is available.

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score

I forgot that I had this digitized, in this fashion...
Reel tape. If you've never heard it before on a really good stereo system, you ain't heard the purity of music. Probably most here have never had the pleasure, and that's tragical.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I have never sat and listen to reel-to-reel.
My uncle had one when I was a kid but that was before I got into listening to music.
Then again I have never heard a vinyl on a $3000 turntable through a $20k amplifier setup with $10k stereo speakers.
So, how do you compare? I decided not to be rich so I will never know.
I just like to listen to whatever is available.
the thing though, if the vinyl it's self is flawed, the higher end equipment will only amplify those flaws more clear...

If all you hear is snap, crackle, pop & skips, on a low-end player, chances are, you'll hear snap, crackle & pop on the higher end one...

I don't have the most high-end turntable. But, it goes through a tube pre-amp & direct into my studio set-up.

I went to play a record, that's pretty much new. I bought it, back in the '90s, but, it probably got played 3-4 x's back then. When I put the record on, the very beginning of side 2, it hits the 1st note, then skips over 12 notes & acts like everything's fine after that. I tried scrubbing the record, & it still skips that part of the music.

Not much hope for it, but, it's part of the consequence of the media...

Doesn't matter which turntable I play it on, I bet the results will be the same.

The things about reel tape ¼" 4 track, is that you have twice the tape width of 1/8" cassette tape. Then, IIRC, cassette, travels at 1 3/4 IPS, whereas, the 4- track ¼" runs at 7½ IPS, so you get 8 x's the tape surface, for each note. 2- track you get twice as much as 4- track. This gives you more headroom on the tape, so the bandwidth of frequency & dynamic range will be greater. Less generational loss as well.

You still have wow & flutter, plus s/n ratio & distortion, etc, although, some tape distortion is actually preferred, as it warms up, to a point.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
later last night, I started indulging in this:

Classic Records Led Zeppelin 45rpm Box Set.jpg

This is the whole catalogue, that each album was done in a box set format. All vinyl discs were done as 45 RPM discs, w/ either 1-2 songs per side. 9 albums came up to 48 discs...

I have this also digitized at 96kHz/24 bit...

Have you guys looked at the prices of Led Zeppelin vinyl on ebay?

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
later last night, I started indulging in this:

View attachment 107775

This is the whole catalogue, that each album was done in a box set format. All vinyl discs were done as 45 RPM discs, w/ either 1-2 songs per side. 9 albums came up to 48 discs...

I have this also digitized at 96kHz/24 bit...

Have you guys looked at the prices of Led Zeppelin vinyl on ebay?
Where the heck did you get that set ?

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I'm now listening/digitizing this:

View attachment 107572

I also did my old picture disc:

View attachment 107573

although, redundant, as the 3 tracks on the Live Mr Crowley EP are also on the Other Side LP. Although, the sound on the picture disc is a lot more fuller sounding. Not sure why. The picture disc/EP was bought back, in '81, when it was originally released, so maybe it's an early pressing, low generation, or whatever...
That is the picture disc , Mr Crowley EP!