What ODs Are You Guys Using in Front of Your Marshalls

• Thread starter tallcoolone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scholly

Reaction score
OD in front of a JVM?! Definitely not required.

Oh c'mon, man. This is such a blanket-statement. Of course it's needed when it's needed. Most amps gain something (pun not intended) when you put something in front. They behave differently. More sustain, response, tightness, etc..
The JVM as well. You'd turn down the gain on the amp anyway.
And for certain genres you DO need one. For the real heavy stuff, say Meshugga just to name one easy example; you won't get that aggressive attacky "plink" when palm-muting without one.
If you feel you don't need one (wonder if you even gave it a try in the first place :p), good. More power to you. But sounding as if you're speaking for everyone with a JVM (or any amp for that matter)? Not cool :D

And no, not trying to start a fight. Just amused how some ppl keep claiming the same baseless thing over and over again.

Scallywag77

Reaction score
MXR Sugar Drive and MXR Timmy. I also have a Boss SD1 and OnFloor Audio Tube Boost OD. Another vote for EQ pedals. I prefer the Boss PQ4 but the GE7 is a very close second. Tried the MXR 6 band and it just didn’t have the same sound to my ear. The Boss seemed more natural sounding to me. That’s just my opinion though
5F355A5F-F330-4138-ADDA-A6374CD004D6.jpeg

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Update lol--got an EQD Plumes. Benn playing it for a week, it's incredible. TONS of play in the EQ, plenty of head room...honestly I have just been using it in boost mode and it adds all the sparkle and kick without a lot of noise or fizz. Great, great OD

tallcoolone

Reaction score
MXR Sugar Drive and MXR Timmy. I also have a Boss SD1 and OnFloor Audio Tube Boost OD. Another vote for EQ pedals. I prefer the Boss PQ4 but the GE7 is a very close second. Tried the MXR 6 band and it just didn’t have the same sound to my ear. The Boss seemed more natural sounding to me. That’s just my opinion though
View attachment 99875
Have an orig Timmy and it's never going anywhere. An absolute classic on the level of a BB or Klon IMO

saxon68

Just another voice in the mix.
Reaction score
Oh c'mon, man. This is such a blanket-statement. Of course it's needed when it's needed. Most amps gain something (pun not intended) when you put something in front. They behave differently. More sustain, response, tightness, etc..
The JVM as well. You'd turn down the gain on the amp anyway.
And for certain genres you DO need one. For the real heavy stuff, say Meshugga just to name one easy example; you won't get that aggressive attacky "plink" when palm-muting without one.
If you feel you don't need one (wonder if you even gave it a try in the first place :p), good. More power to you. But sounding as if you're speaking for everyone with a JVM (or any amp for that matter)? Not cool :D

And no, not trying to start a fight. Just amused how some ppl keep claiming the same baseless thing over and over again.
I’ve got an SD-1 for my JVM. Not using it for drive, just to tighten it up a bit for stuff that needs it.

matttornado

Reaction score
Chase Tone Secret Preamp is pretty awesome. Little on the noisy side, but fantastic. Like the Storm. Long thread, I’ve prob said that b4 lol
I just tried on with my Superlead and I didn't like it. I kept turning it off. For some reason, it sounded like it was choking my amp while taking away the punch and definition.

I tried all settings and gave it a fair try before sending it back,

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I just tried on with my Superlead and I didn't like it. I kept turning it off. For some reason, it sounded like it was choking my amp while taking away the punch and definition.

I tried all settings and gave it a fair try before sending it back,
Hey it's all subjective right? I have it set on "Bright" with the output around 1-2:00. More of an "enhancer" than an OD

matttornado

Reaction score
Hey it's all subjective right? I have it set on "Bright" with the output around 1-2:00. More of an "enhancer" than an OD
yep! it did not enhance my tone at all. I was so bummed.

I actually built 2 Echoplex preamps myself years ago, from scratch, following the Echoplex ep3 schematic(s) along with some help from the metro forum. They actually sounded better to me but still not enough to make them perminent in my rig.

Moony

Reaction score
I really like the old trusty MXR GT-OD a lot.
And I love the new Way Huge Green Rhino MKV smalls version - it makes your sound fat and chewy!

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like the old trusty MXR GT-OD a lot.

Got one of those 2 weeks ago. Now one of my favorite pedals. Great tone.

It kicked a pedal off my board. Doubt the GT-OD will ever leave.

Ken Ops

Reaction score
Am now using an SD-1 in front of the JVM. Not for drive here either, more as a sort of boost/eq with a particular flavour really.

playloud

Reaction score
I've been using one of these lately:

iu

Vesperado

Reaction score
Thought about this when reading the Tubescreamer thread...I love dirt boxes in front of all—but especially Marshall amps. Bought and sold dozens and dozens of them and I think still have at least a dozen lying around. Love to hear experiences of others...here is what I have at the moment

Maxon OD820—honeymoon period but I love this guy. Like the TS9 but more treble, more headroom...just BIGGER. Also physically larger so keep in mind
Timmy—love this, got replaced by the new Maxon OD820 but will be back. The original ‘transparent’ od
TS9–benchmark mid hump od best run low in front of an already overdriven amp
Secret Preamp—my ‘always on’ pedal at the end of the board. Not really an od, more of a compressor? I dunno—try one out, you’ll thank me.
SoloDallas Storm—like the SP, more of a compressor/boost than an OD but where the SP is subtle the Storm is like a cock punch. Tons of boost on tap and something else that changes your tone more drastically than the SP.
Archer Ikon—best ‘Klone’/Klon Cline I’ve tried. Pretty unique—not a ton of boost but I really liked it run like a TS—low gain, tone up. Great in front of my SC20 when it’s breathing a bit
Naga Viper treble booster—Rangemaster circuit apparently? Sounds ‘Sabbath-y’ to me in front of my Marshalls. I like a lot of high end to my tone and this is lacking a bit in that Dept
Tone Job EQ/booster—replaced the Detox as my ‘clean channel’ pedal. Set low it works just like your guitar volume the way it cleans up your tone. But better and actually tweakable
OCD—if I were going to a gig not knowing what I was going to have as a backline I’d bring the OCD. At home in front of anything really—played a hard rock gig once with a 100w Hiwatt in a small room and only an OCD and a wah

taylodl

Reaction score
Well, I'd been using an EHX Soul Food for years before getting my DSL40CR. Thought I wasn't going to need it any longer. Then I read how you can use your OD pedal to remove some of the flubbiness from the high gain channels. Works like a champ!