What ODs Are You Guys Using in Front of Your Marshalls

• Thread starter tallcoolone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bluesymetal

Reaction score
I’m running a way huge green rhino and a Xotic EP booster in front of my dsl’s crunch channel. The EP booster warms it up and the rhino adds bite/ crunch. Sometimes I stack them and it sounds huge.

Matopotato

Reaction score
This thread might have gotten old, but here is what I have in front of DSL40CR:
MXR Boost/Line Driver (MC-401?) > Wampler Sovereign Distortion > Fulltone OCD (latest V2) > DSL
I am still learning how to use them. I really like the OCD, it is not too imposing and still does a nice push. The Sovereign is very recent but seems good. (I had a Super BadAss before but it was just too much). The boost is as clean I could find since I want it to push other pedals and channels without adding anything of its own.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
Ibanez TS7 Tube Screamer. It's a TS9 w/hot switch and JRC4558D chip

GFS Brownie Classic Vintage Rat/Turbo Rat clone w/LM308AN and resistor fix.

Last edited:

Metroman

Reaction score
Metropoulos Supa Boost
89 Marshall The Guv'nor
Roger Mayer 4644 Drive
1458 Timmy
Cornish 3Q1/Boost
Castledine Colorsound
Mayer Concorde+ Treble Booster

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Forgot I started this thread! My new "go-to" box is the JRockett Rockaway Archer. On board 6band EQ is straight up badass. Also have enjoyed the JHS/Boss Angry Driver. If I could only have one OD that would be it--you can do a metal gig with a Fender Twin with it but also sounds great as a low/no gain boost.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
If i had to pick one overdrive with my SV20H it is an SD-1W. For one thing it's quiet when i kick it on. I like it with my 59 Stratocaster. It balances out the grind and gives it the extra push my Flying V and Les Paul get by themselves. For what i like i don't use anything with them.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I use a Seymour Duncan pickup booster for a clean boost in front of my 1959s. Nothing else. I am of the school of thought that the distortion should come from the amp, not a box in front of it. And that amp distortion should be THEE sound.

BatmansMarshall

Reaction score
I use the Origins boost.

Boss SD-1 if no onboard boost.

Wampler Tumnus (Klon Klone) if I want to try something else.

Earthquakes Devices Dunes for a versatile OD pedal.

Maxon 808 for my EvH.

TS9 sits on the shelf as I have found my current amp collection doesn't take it well.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
SD-1 and/or FZ-5 in the front of the Origin20H.
Endless possibilities with the ME-80 on the DSL20HR.
TC Tube Pilot going to the lil' G15MS.
Haze 15 straight in on red, gain around 2 o'clock, always makes me say - Yeah, baby!.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I’m using an Origin 20h amp with: Archer Ikon, OCD-ge, and ts5 into the front with EQ, chorus, and reverb in the loop. Very happy with the variety and quality of tones this set up produces. I don’t play more modern metal type music, but the 3 ODs in front provide a nice variety of tones I like.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I’ve discovered that the ‘overdrive’ on my line6 M5 into a tubescreamer into crunchy amp ( evh , 2204 or Friedman) sounds pretty awesome .

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I keep on my board:

MXR Sugar Drive - It's a Klone, and not a high dollar one, but it does what a Klon is supposed to do.

Black Country Customs TI Boost - Rangemaster inspired treble booster with extra tone controls. I don't think it actually uses a germanium transistor, but I like the slightly fuzzy sound and feel it adds to my tone while goosing the drive.

Nobels ODR Mini - I really liked the core drive sound of this pedal, but the stock version was too bassy and the top end was too rolled-off. So, I modded it. Now it’s one of my favorite ways to make an amp give me more drive and sustain. It’s like a tiny extension of my 4-holers.

Wyvern - This is my own design and build. It’s a JFET based distortion, but it’s a little different from the amp-in-a-box JFET pedals on the market. This is my main distortion tone. It makes my 4-holers sound like the perfect hybrid between vintage NMV tone and modern MV tone. To me, at least.

AdrianDSL

Reaction score
Maxon OD-9 Analogman most often. Sometimes Boss SD-1, in fact I've found some pretty amazing lead tones with both on, drive on 0, tone on noon on the Maxon, with tone around 10 o'clock and volume rolled back to around 2 o'clock on the SD-1. Into the OD2 channel of a DSL40CR with gain on 7 and channel volume dimmed.

JP2036

Reaction score
Modified TS-9 to 808 spec's w/a 1978 Texas Instruments Malaysian Op Amp / Modified Pro Co Rat with Reutz & LED mods & a NOS Motorola Metal Can 1985 LM 308 IC & OFA-TBO with NOS Op Amps.

Last edited:

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's a Reutz and are the succeeding mentioned mods part of the Rat?
Ruetz is a particular type of mod you can do to a RAT, it’s very popular. If you do the mod with a potentiometer, it allows you to control the high mid gain in the circuit, which makes the pedal sound fuller. I’m curious what OFA-TBO is. The rest mentioned are RAT mods