What ODs Are You Guys Using in Front of Your Marshalls

• Thread starter tallcoolone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Barry A

Reaction score
EHX rarely get anything wrong in all they do, and I'm only familiar with the Big Muff.
This EHX Soul food, seems to have won an awful lot of guitarists over like the previous poster.
What's the deal with this particular pedal ?
It’s a clone of the Klon Centaur which is one of the most desired pedals ever. It’s a low gain OD that adds a rich, warm tone and has a thick bottom end, even if your MV and gain are low. It really sweetens up the clean tones and adds a lot of depth to my big muff, I’m loving it.

Sustainium

Reaction score
Despite having a number of boost pedals on my board, I’m tempted to follow your lead for the same reason. I’ll put you on the spot and postpone my decision until you report back.
It arrived already from Sweetwater, only takes a day to deliver here from them. I chose the SD-1W Waza Craft model. I honestly wasn’t expecting a whole lot but was surprised how much I like this pedal. It’s so easy to find great tones compared to others I have with more bells and whistles. I’m definitely a fan of the Waza Craft series and ordered my fourth one today, the CE-2W Chorus pedal.

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
None, now. I sold them except for the EHX Graphic Fuzz which I just use for its EQ section, and the LPB-1 for clean boost.

Tiboy

Reaction score
It arrived already from Sweetwater, only takes a day to deliver here from them. I chose the SD-1W Waza Craft model. I honestly wasn’t expecting a whole lot but was surprised how much I like this pedal. It’s so easy to find great tones compared to others I have with more bells and whistles. I’m definitely a fan of the Waza Craft series and ordered my fourth one today, the CE-2W Chorus pedal.

‘Thanks.

WellBurnTheSky

Reaction score
You'll love the CE-2W. I have an original CE-2 (long dash logo, MIJ, black label), and it's the best analog chorus I have ever heard or played. A few friends have tried to purchase it from me, won't happen. Wonderful pedal, and the Waza version is impressively close.

Sustainium

Reaction score
You'll love the CE-2W. I have an original CE-2 (long dash logo, MIJ, black label), and it's the best analog chorus I have ever heard or played. A few friends have tried to purchase it from me, won't happen. Wonderful pedal, and the Waza version is impressively close.
Thanks for your positive feedback on this chorus pedal. I already have the Boss CE-5 and looking forward to comparing the two.
I will have to wait a bit longer as I just received a call from Sweetwater that the CE-2W is out of stock and they expect more in a week, lol.

Jakeboy

Reaction score
Lovepedal OD11or Lovepedal AMP 808 here....or any Rangemaster clone...

jwoods986

Reaction score
Hmmm, turns out mine doesn't have a switch for some reason? Opened it up yesterday and I don't see anything resembling a switch -

Well I just found this video showing the switch, it's on top of the circuit board, so you have to remove it - that's silly! And MXR doesn't mention it on the box or booklet, how did people know about this? Is removing the board something you guys normally do when you get a pedal? lol

Vesperado

Reaction score
Sitting down today with my TSL I came to the conclusion, you can't go wrong with an EQ into the front, in fact, it sounds better than most distortion/overdrives I have, except for those onesies and twosies I have in my collection. I can get 6 different sounds/responses having a Yamaha GE-100 and a Biyang EQ-7 at my disposal before the drive channels. Saves up space on the board big time. You can use the Lead for Rythm and Rythm for Lead, the possibilities are endless. Highly recommended!

Acvox

Reaction score
Sitting down today with my TSL I came to the conclusion, you can't go wrong with an EQ into the front, in fact, it sounds better than most distortion/overdrives I have, except for those onesies and twosies I have in my collection. I can get 6 different sounds/responses having a Yamaha GE-100 and a Biyang EQ-7 at my disposal before the drive channels. Saves up space on the board big time. You can use the Lead for Rythm and Rythm for Lead, the possibilities are endless. Highly recommended!

Just a brief tribute in support of the humble 7 band eq pedal (EQ-7)mentioned above by a vey dicerning forum member.

One of the finest bass players I had the privilege of working with used a Bass freq EQ-7 pedal in his effects loop to help shape his sound, and he lent me his pedal to try in front of my Marshall half stack. It was a revelation...
As a result I've had one or more on my board to this day.. Lifting slightly the levels at 200 and 400 hz, and the 1.6 and 3.2 kHz provides the perfect clean lift in level /boost, adding a little 800hz and dirt sounds cut through the mix..

The advantage of this simple, inexpensive EQ pedal is the range of options it provides us. In the effects loop, in the front end, in front of that pedal you wished had just a little more/less in the mids, top, bass, etc..etc.. our imagination is the limiting factor here..
Perhaps the single most useful, cost effective pedal a guitar player could own, and one I personally couldn't do without..

Vesperado

Reaction score
Just a brief tribute in support of the humble 7 band eq pedal (EQ-7)mentioned above by a vey dicerning forum member.

One of the finest bass players I had the privilege of working with used a Bass freq EQ-7 pedal in his effects loop to help shape his sound, and he lent me his pedal to try in front of my Marshall half stack. It was a revelation...
As a result I've had one or more on my board to this day.. Lifting slightly the levels at 200 and 400 hz, and the 1.6 and 3.2 kHz provides the perfect clean lift in level /boost, adding a little 800hz and dirt sounds cut through the mix..

The advantage of this simple, inexpensive EQ pedal is the range of options it provides us. In the effects loop, in the front end, in front of that pedal you wished had just a little more/less in the mids, top, bass, etc..etc.. our imagination is the limiting factor here..
Perhaps the single most useful, cost effective pedal a guitar player could own, and one I personally couldn't do without..
I have all the pedals I could ever need. Thanks.

dro

Reaction score
Carl Martin Hot Drive-N-Boost and AC-TONE Into Jtm45. Also into Mini Jubilee.
PEDALBOARD.jpg

Acvox

Reaction score
I have all the pedals I could ever need. Thanks.

That's the kind of statement I may be able to make someday.. But for now I'm happy with most of the pedal choices I've made so far..

'I've made a lot of mistakes that have paid off, and a few smart moves I'll regret forever'..

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have these on my board to choose from at anytime.

BoostFuzzEQ.jpg

Boosts Right to left...
JHS Muffuletta (six classic Fuzz tones in one pedal)
EQD (reissue of classic Park fuzz)
SD-1
EQD Dunes (super-customizable OD)

Last edited:

johnny q

Reaction score
I have used everything it seems, through the years. However, I have landed on the Barber Direct Drive as that one OD pedal that does not sound like an effect, but sounds like an extension of the amp itself - as if an additional gain stage was built into the amp.

However ,there is a new Sheriff in town and it is called the Rimrock Mythical Overdrive. Damn - this thing is awesome! It's my new go to pedal for my Marshalls.