What ODs Are You Guys Using in Front of Your Marshalls

• Thread starter tallcoolone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rafalynch

Reaction score
20191113_060310.jpg Drolaw,
Eliminating the problem of radio station is very simple, you have to put a 0.01 uf capacitor of the ground connector of the input jack to the chassis. It is best to make a hole in the chassis and put a screw with a connector to solder the capacitor. Your Marshall will not ring the radio again. Excuse my English.

rafalynch

Reaction score
You must be welded to the grounding pin (black wire) of the high input jack closest to the chassis in the Marshall's before 1983. If it is after that year you have to locate the jack's ground pin on the board input

Attachments

• 20191113_064517.jpg
    20191113_064517.jpg
    425.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

drolaw

Reaction score
View attachment 63753 Drolaw,
Eliminating the problem of radio station is very simple, you have to put a 0.01 uf capacitor of the ground connector of the input jack to the chassis. It is best to make a hole in the chassis and put a screw with a connector to solder the capacitor. Your Marshall will not ring the radio again. Excuse my English.

Thanks for the tip - definitely will try that.

Thevenin

Reaction score
View attachment 63753 Drolaw,
Does the cap trick work for SS too? Every time I fire up the 75 Reverb, I'm on a Mexican (whoa-oh) radio...

rafalynch

Reaction score
In the Marshall after 1983 with the jack and potentiometers welded to the plate it is more difficult to access the pin of the ground, you have to disassemble the entire front of potentiometers to remove the plate since the welds are at the bottom. But you can try a provisional wire without disassembling the plate, with a crocodile clamp and the capacitor, connecting the jack input pin to the chassis. And then decide whether to disassemble everything or weld to the outer pin. excuse my English

Attachments

• 20191114_082320.jpg
    20191114_082320.jpg
    639.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20191114_082339.jpg
    20191114_082339.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20191114_082704.jpg
    20191114_082704.jpg
    553 KB · Views: 11

slide222

Reaction score
I find with 2525c, and 2555x, there is no need for distortion pedals , and I use them as a 2 channel amp , sometimes I'll use a sonus wah

Metroman

Reaction score
I use a few different drives with my Metro/JTM45 repro.

89 Marshall.. The Guv'nor. Sounds a lot like my amp, but allows me to dial in a lot more gain, at a lower volume, and not lose the basic tonal character of my amp. If you ever get one, make sure you use a power supply as the battery access is the worst ever made.

Roger Mayer 4644 Drive.

Very clean, and clear Low/Medium Gain Drive. Has the best volume sweep of any pedal Ive used. Very very gradual sweep.

Works extremely well as a master volume controller. Keeps every harmonic even at reduced volumes. Very Ultra Wide Band frequency response..10hz-100kHz and keeps the low end tight, and harmonics preserved. No Mud. Tone control is more like an EQ vs Bass/Treble Cut/Add.
The Tone control shifts the harmonics vs Cutting, or adding Bass, or Treble. Its not as dramatic as a normal Tone control. Very subtle like a Chase Tone Secret Preamp. Only a bit more. Is the least intrusive pedal Ive probably used.

Makes my 1458 chip Timmy sound like it has a blanket on it, ( and I like the Timmy-Had it since 2011-I mainly use it to drive a Big Muff, and 2004 Analogman Sunface/Sundial white dot NKT275 Sunface/Sundial... ) 4644 also will work with any amplifier, or pickup combination. Timmy is way more finicky..... IMHO theres no pedal around that is any better than this one for preserving the exact sound of your signal chain at unity gain, and then allows you to use whatever Gain-Volume, and Tone setting you want.
Has 2 Buffered Outs, and 1 Hardwired Bypass.

2004 Analogman Sunface/Sundial white dot-low/medium gain. Turn the Fuzz down, and volume up.

Timmy 1458 chip

Barber Gain Changer.. Really nice pedal. Has its own thing going on, and is a first rate drive pedal, especially for the money.

Butler 5 knob Tube Driver.. All kinds of stuff going on with this pedal. IMHO does not do best at bedroom volumes. Huge EQ capabilities, and will do everything from slight drive, to big muff territory.

Pete Cornish 3Q1/Boost.. I use it as an extension of the Metro Preamp to add in more tonal variation. Often stack it with the 4644, and Guv'nor

MOOG Minifooger Drive.

Love this drive. Is very finicky, hard to dial in, but after you learn how to use it, is a killer drive pedal. It is a Low Pass Filter, with 3db-57db Drive.

I can get some killer Clean Fender Tweed type tones from this pedal, and the Cocked Wah is also really good. Can also get into Big Muff territory. 57db Drive. If you got your amp cranked, and have the low end of this pedal dialed in with heavy drive, you better have some good speaker(s) or it will fart them out.

Mayer Visage Fuzz. Does great clean boost-heavy fuzz. 45 EQ possibilities.

Can also get some really good Wah sounds with an EXP pedal... Big under the radar pedal, but hard to find.
5Dp7sRi.jpg

QyFFeeJ.jpg

Last edited:

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
Cock Fight Plus
Deluxe Big Muff Pi
Graphic Fuzz
LPB-1
Soul POG

I usually just use the OD channel. I'm not too keen on adding transistor-based distortion to my sound. Having said that, the Graphic Fuzz is by far my favorite transistor-based distortion. The Soul Food side of the Soul POG is useable. I've been trying to dial in the Deluxe Big Muff Pi for a couple of months. I can't get anything close to acceptable. The only thing I like about the pedal is the ability to set and sweep the mids with an EXP pedal. I plan on trying to sell it soon. The Cock Fight Plus is a crying/talking wah with fuzz that is a lot of fun. I use the LPB-1 strictly as a clean boost.

BatmansMarshall

Reaction score
I use either an Earthquaker device Dunes which switches between different ODs or a single knob Arrows also from EQD which is a pre-amp boost with its own color if the Dune isn't working out. I sold my Boss SD-1 (best Marshall OD ever) and my TS9 in on the shelf, because I have been using them for years and just want to change up with some boutique ODs.

Amadeus91

Reaction score
Keeley modded Maxon SD-9 had it a long time
but I think it has the Steve Vai "Seeing Eye Mod" if I remeber
correctly. Very nice, indeed.
WkjjPgP.jpg

jwoods986

Reaction score
I use either an Earthquaker device Dunes which switches between different ODs or a single knob Arrows also from EQD which is a pre-amp boost with its own color if the Dune isn't working out. I sold my Boss SD-1 (best Marshall OD ever) and my TS9 in on the shelf, because I have been using them for years and just want to change up with some boutique ODs.

I picked up a used SD-1 a week ago ($30) and love it in front of my DSL40CR! I already had a TS9DX and Behringer TO800 (ts808 knock-off), but comparing all 3, I prefer the SD-1 to the TS-type pedals. I sold the DX and may keep the TO800 and the SD for different tones or maybe just have the SD-1 always on and use the TO as a solo boost.

dslman

Reaction score
Nothing has dethroned the MXR-M77 CBAMOD.
I have a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 that's okay if you want a little more gain.

dslman

Reaction score
I only have 2 overdrive pedals
SD1, Joyo Ultimate drive, but since I started using the mxr 10 band eq I have removed the od pedals, my 2 rigs are Dsl40c’s, and Origin 50H’s, each rig has a lead 100 mosfet along for the ride
And I am truly liking the tones I can get from each rig!
Cheers Mitch
You might like the Joyo Vintage OD too. They are close to the SD-1.

jwoods986

Reaction score
Nothing has dethroned the MXR-M77 CBAMOD.
I have a Digitech Hardwire CM-2 that's okay if you want a little more gain.

Funny you mention MXR, also in the last week I got an MXR-M66S Classic Overdrive. It was a GC daily deal (and I think this particular version is a GC exclusive) for $40, and I had $30 in rewards, so I paid 10 bucks for it! I just played around with it one day so far but definitely like it. I understand that when you pop the back cover off, there's a switch to give it more gain (more like the Zakk Wylde version), but I haven't tried that yet.

dslman

Reaction score
Funny you mention MXR, also in the last week I got an MXR-M66S Classic Overdrive. It was a GC daily deal (and I think this particular version is a GC exclusive) for $40, and I had $30 in rewards, so I paid 10 bucks for it! I just played around with it one day so far but definitely like it. I understand that when you pop the back cover off, there's a switch to give it more gain (more like the Zakk Wylde version), but I haven't tried that yet.

Yes , those are close to the GT-OD, which I had also.
They are in the family of a Boss SD-1 from my exp, also had the switch inside like yours.
The M77 is also asymmetrical clipping plus the 100hz, and bump button for more botom end.
All very nice pedals. The Joyo Vintage OD hangs pretty well with those too, but there is something about the voice of the M77 that keeps me coming back to it, even compared to expensive handmade boxes.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
The lovepedal JTM overdrive, I absolutley love this pedal... haha no pun intended! Anyways, it is great thru any amp but really shines on my 2266. It takes the VM's JTM character and amplifies/exaggerates it, like an exstension of the amp's voice... just a perfect pairing. I also love that infront of any of my other amp's it does a great Marshall/JTM impression, allowing me to get close to my desired tone no matter what amp I happen to be on. If I am unable to crank out my 2266, throwing the JTM pedal infront of my little 2 watt tube amp sure fills the void. Overall, I will never part with this pedal, extremely useful tool to me.

Not overdrive per se but runner up is my Roger Mayer Classic Fuzz Face... It oozes " Are You Experienced" and early Jimi tone that I am highly fond of. It is also the best behaving fuzz Ive encountered, rolling off the guitar volume allows for extra chimey clean tones that absolutley sold me. I previously had an Arcane Analog FF66 germanium fuzz, while it was beautiful and very "authentic" sounding fuzz face clone, it really could not compete with the RM, especially cleaning up.