• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Who likes the Gibson Les Paul?

• Thread starter MilitaryNurse
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

steelhorse

Reaction score
They manufacture SO many guitars every day it's no wonder their QC sucks.

I got my first 2008 standard goldtop and it looked ok and sounded good but it wouldn't stay in tune, and this is a rig that retails for almost 3K +

I sent it back to the dealer and the one I got in return is amazing by comparison and well worth the $.

I'm like psphill, I can't stand to play anything else nowadays

ampshoping123

Reaction score
steel man do u recon u could do me a favour n take a photo of your whole pedal board layout? im interested in what ones you got. cheers bud

jamie

steelhorse

Reaction score
steel man do u recon u could do me a favour n take a photo of your whole pedal board layout? im interested in what ones you got. cheers bud

jamie

Sure. It's pathetically simple but effective.

If you don't mind, PM me a reminder so I'll remember to send you a shot asap.

liamlw

Reaction score
One day i dream to own a custom... as heavy as they come:dude:

MaidenStrat02

Reaction score
So to get the advantage of this 'tailwraping' you need to take the bridge all the way down to the body so that the sound transfers?

I really like to do this too. I also use(d) TonePro bridges on the Paul I had that I wish was still here :( and my current SG. Joe Bonamassa is another player who top wraps. I think it's a technique that is really valid in increasing your sustain and playability. As to the liking of Les Pauls... hell yeah. I regret the day that I sold it, but I wasn't able to get my DSL and a new cab if I didn't. Unless I win the lottery I'll probably get a Epi Custom Les Paul sometime.

backline

Reaction score
My Studio "Gothic" I scored used for $599 w hardshell case.
Gets that massive Les Paul punch and grind.
No nagging little problems either, unlike some bolt-neck products I've had that always seemed to have dead spots or weird little pickup, fret, and/or neck problems.
I also have a Heritage version I like even better. I'll have to take some pics of that yet.

IMG_2329.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg

Swingrr

Reaction score
I dig the Gibby LPs. I currently have 2 and am saving up to buy a Historic. Might take a little while but it'll be worth the wait. :fingersx: :headbanger:

Loving the GLP - have a 97 LP studio and used to have a CS 1960 classic reissue.

Alex - the LP in your avatar is giving me a hardon............ :naughty:

Muddy pickups tho - think the neck was a 500T ceramic.... poo!

Thinking of changing the pick ups in the studio to Bareknuckle Nailbombs..

Slurp...

GLPs rock - Strats suck.

Teles are coolio tho............ XX

Swingrr

Reaction score
I say that any person who has a Les Paul and Marshall should immediately renounce their allegiance to those products and transfer said good to the nearest impound facility located here very close to my residence.

These are among the items impounded:

2008goldtop1000.jpg

2pauls.jpg

These face a daily ritual of torture and abuse being assaulted about the neck and body.

:naughty:

Hardon - hardon - hardon!

Lovely pics! XXXXXXXXXXXX

kev93_10

Reaction score
Here's mine. A 2007 Custom Shop Historic Reissue R0. It's got Bulldog PAFs and an RS upgrade kit.

Kev

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0160.jpg

IMG_0169-1.jpg

IMG_0138.jpg

Webslinger

Reaction score
I love my black LPC. It was my first decent guitar and a deal I could not pass-up. But to be honest, the action was never so great on it. I'll never sell it, but I wish it played better.

radiomatts

Reaction score
Yeah...I agree with ya Tinman...they are a bit steep. I didn't like paying for mine either and didn't get my first "real" one until I was 30, but now I can't stand to play anything else. My advise is not to even try one unless you're ready to shell out the coin. In my opinion, they're that good.

It's funny.... I have a 1981 LP Standard that I bought in 81 for $500.00 with the case! When was the last time you walked into a store and bought a guitar that came with a hardshell case?

This LP has been through the wars with me. On tour, being played by toddlers while I wasn't looking...everything. You name it. It still kicks some serious ass.

I went into Guitar Center last summer to play this guitar through a Vintage Modern with two JCM 800 4X12 cabs. Couldn't afford the stack, but the guys at GC let me just play what I want. Anyway, the manager of the guitar department thought I was trading in my Paul and on the spot offered me $2400.

I nearly choked.

By the way, outside of Custom Shop stuff, Gibson Les Pauls are terrible now. They just don't feel right. All that weight relief crap is a crime too, and I love the fact that Gibson wasn't telling anyone about the chambering right away and then got caught because of that incident at GC in Hollywood. Just my opinion, but I'd almost have an Epiphone LP Ultra II with a few mods over most the the LPs Gibson is putting out. They're whoring out the Les Paul name with all the custom versions. Do we REALLY need a Neal Schon model Les Paul, or a Billie Joe model Junior.

Hell, does Joan Jett really need a model of her own?

radiomatts

Reaction score
Sure thing. A kid bought a Les Paul at G.C in Hollywood, but didn't buy a case for it. GC in their infinite wisdom charges list for Gibson cases. Anyway, he walked out of the store and dropped the guitar. For whatever reason the maple cap popped off partially, but enough to reveal the chambering. Gibson hadn't disclosed that anywhere that regular production model LPs were chambered. The kids family sued GC and Gibson and won. Gibson is now indicating which LPs are chambered and which are not.

steelhorse

Reaction score
When I bought my 2008 Standard (the gold top in the photo above) I knew in advance it was chambered. I have several other LP's and I believe all of them are weight relieved to some degree and the goldie is lighter but not by much. The feel is wicked nice and the sound is fantastic. I haven't changed a thing, don't need to. My other LP's I've swapped pups, electronics and added tone pros.

steelhorse

Reaction score
Sure thing. A kid bought a Les Paul at G.C in Hollywood, but didn't buy a case for it. GC in their infinite wisdom charges list for Gibson cases. Anyway, he walked out of the store and dropped the guitar. For whatever reason the maple cap popped off partially, but enough to reveal the chambering. Gibson hadn't disclosed that anywhere that regular production model LPs were chambered. The kids family sued GC and Gibson and won. Gibson is now indicating which LPs are chambered and which are not.

That totally sucks ass. What is wrong with these companies, they don't think eventually someone's going catch them?

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't know what's wrong with Gibson. Did they not learn a lesson with Norlin? Public demand for a Les Paul made like the old ones is what brought the Les Paul back into production. I believe they came close with the historic line, but the Gibson USA line seems to be headed in the wrong direction. It wasn't chambering or asymmetrical necks that made the Les Paul the icon that it is. IMHO, Gibson's "improvements" to the line seem more like marketing ploys than actual innovations.

You can't point the finger at Gibson without giving Fender a mention, either. I think those Road Worn guitars are ass-ugly. Back when I was in the music business, we used to call those "blems" or "factory seconds".

Sorry for the rant. I haven't had much sleep lately.

Webslinger

Reaction score

I hadnt heard of that, when was this? Hasnt Gibson been actively advertising chambered bodies on certain models going back at least about 5 years or so. If anything, maybe it was a trade secret for a very short time to see if it caught on? In any case, I'd think you'd be able to tell as soon as you picked the guitar up that it was lightened.
Loyal Gibson fans understand that LPs are heavy, but everybody else had been bitching about weight for so long, you cant blame Gibson for doing something about it. Yeah, purists dont like the idea of chambered bodies but I've read only good reviews about sound? Different tone, yeah maybe, but nothing bad that I've read.

Latest posts