YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting setup. I also own a grey 250 clone, and I basically use it opposite to how you do, I use the built-in boost for a solo push and the pedal on 10/10.

To me, the pedal itself (provided it's a 250 grey clone) sounds much better dimed than the built-in booster (which is said to be based on the 308 circuit). Obviously it's up to personal preference, but I'm wondering if you tried it this way. Tell me what you think.

Incidentally, I've also read in a review somewhere that there was supposedly not enough gain on the built-in boost. I mean, really? Holy gain Batman. When I crank the built-in boost I can pretty much play the most obscene metal out there. In fact, I think there's more gain on it than one would need. I usually run it at 2/3 max if I use it as an actual gain boost instead of solo boost.

Also, KT88 demo is coming up when I get the other YJM heads. I think I'll keep one completely stock EL34. The other two will get KT88's and KT66's. I was thinking about 6L6's too, but I decided against those since they're not really related to the Marshall sound.

According to Nuke,Santiago has said there is MORE gain/distortion on the YJM boosted than a JVM 410!:wow:
I haven't been lucky enough to play a JVM so i've got absolutely no idea,just quoting before someone has a tantrum!:lol::lol::lol:

:thumb:

Quasar-Kid

Reaction score
According to Nuke,Santiago has said there is MORE gain/distortion on the YJM boosted than a JVM 410!:wow:
I haven't been lucky enough to play a JVM so i've got absolutely no idea,just quoting before someone has a tantrum!:lol::lol::lol:

Can I just throw a tantrum regardless of the criteria..?
Quasar-Kid = YJM = Rage / Tantrum

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
Can I just throw a tantrum regardless of the criteria..?
Quasar-Kid = YJM = Rage / Tantrum

You need one of these QK!:naughty:

cadburycaramel_retropackaging.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

Marival

Reaction score

I wouldn't be surprised, it's ridiculous. The JVM's modern voicing handles that extra gain better in my opinion.

There is only so much gain you can throw over an amp that's voiced like the YJM before it actually starts backfiring.

I'm not saying that the total amount of gain in the boost is unusable, it's just that I've learned to appreciate the clarity of less gain and more precise playing.

John 14:6

Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised, it's ridiculous. The JVM's modern voicing handles that extra gain better in my opinion.

There is only so much gain you can throw over an amp that's voiced like the YJM before it actually starts backfiring.

I'm not saying that the total amount of gain in the boost is unusable, it's just that I've learned to appreciate the clarity of less gain and more precise playing.
My Gray 250 clone was modded to 250 specs by Vision Music and I have heard it is one of the most accurate copies around. I am using the booster as my main overdrive sound because first of all it sounds great, and secondly because the built in noise gate keeps things dead quiet. My Vission Music modded DOD YJM308 overdrive has been my desert island pedal for years now and I have owned a couple of them. I think I prefer the the built in booster when using the YJM100. I also have a Tube Screamer on my board for other tonal options.

Maybe it is because I replaced the 2nd gain stage stock Shuguang 12AX7 with another JJ 12AX7, but my YJM100 still sounds clean and clear with the on board booster cranked all of the way up. My wife used the word "clean" to describe my sound at church yesterday. Believe me, I had plenty of gain and power tube sustain going on. I could really feel the amp respond to my fingers and vibrato. It was nice to be able to switch off the FX loop with the footswitch for some parts where I wanted the delay gone. There is ZERO change in volume when using the loop. I Believe the guys who are experiencing volume drops with the loop are actually having level problems with their effects. I have owned a JVM205 head which I modded to the JVM410's OD1 channel instead of the stock JVM2 series OD2 channel. It is hard to say what amp had more gain, but I would lean towards the JVM. The YJM100 has all of the gain I could ever want. I am not a super high gain guy. Yngwie, George Lynch and people like that are about as metal as I care to get. I don't play the modern de-tuned stuff. The YJM100 will clean up incredibly well by backing down on the guitar's volume knob. The amp has the best crunch sound ever and the lead sounds from blues to metal are absolutely perfect.:applause:

Viking62

Reaction score
A quick question for you John. I see you are using strats with your YJM, well I get the nicest sound I've ever heard from an amp with my les paul through the YJM but I'm struggling to get the sound I want with my strat through the YJM (Believe it or not!) It's only a mexican strat but I'm sure that sound is in there somewhere, just gotta find it.

So on that note what channel are you using, high or low input etc?
Anyone feel free to chime in, I've not owned a plexi amp before.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, Will.

I use Strats with my YJM, I pretty much dime out the treble (3/4 minimum) on the front, from there adjust tone controls on the strat. Always plug into high, patch lead from channel 2 high to channel 1 low (channel 1 dimed and channel 2 12oclock).
BTW I think this is the Ultimate Marshall :naughty:

indeedido

Reaction score
Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...
Also, KT88 demo is coming up when I get the other YJM heads. I think I'll keep one completely stock EL34. The other two will get KT88's and KT66's. I was thinking about 6L6's too, but I decided against those since they're not really related to the Marshall sound.

I would very much be interested in you demoing KT88 vs EL34. :applause:

Marival

Reaction score
Supposedly you can even go as far as putting one EL34, one KT88, one 6L6 and one KT66 in there. (Or any other ridiculous combination of four tubes)

This is not recommended by any means, but I must say I am curious about the crazy sound it will produce.

I am curious about the following though;

The 50W mode simply removes two valves, correct? Now let's say you were able to find two different valves that would go well together when mixed up like this, you would end up with more tonal variation in the sense that you could still run it at the 100W mode and have all four valves operational, but you could kick in the 50W mode to have a completely different sound purely based on two of the same valves.

Doesn't really sound practical, but it might be fun to experiment with. It kind've reminds me of the Mesa Road King where you can simply select which valves you want to run.

Reaction score
Chris George using a YJM100 here to do a pretty nice take on the Jeff Beck version of "Cause We've Ended as Lovers." Chris puts his own spin on my all time favorite Jeff Beck song. I Remember when my guitar teacher played this for me for the first time when I was 18. Jeff Beck became my favorite player right there and that has never changed. I love Yngwie, Lynch, Lincoln Brewster, Uli Roth, Gary and Vinnie Moore and a zillion other guys. Some days I am convinced Lincoln Brewster is the best player on the planet because he is just sooooooo good at so many styles, but no one will ever beat Jeff Beck. As Eric Clapton one said "there is just something cool and mean about Beck that beats everyone else.":)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVLcMlxXGY8"]Marshall YJM100 50th Anniversary UK Demo 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Reaction score
Supposedly you can even go as far as putting one EL34, one KT88, one 6L6 and one KT66 in there. (Or any other ridiculous combination of four tubes)

This is not recommended by any means, but I must say I am curious about the crazy sound it will produce.

I am curious about the following though;

The 50W mode simply removes two valves, correct? Now let's say you were able to find two different valves that would go well together when mixed up like this, you would end up with more tonal variation in the sense that you could still run it at the 100W mode and have all four valves operational, but you could kick in the 50W mode to have a completely different sound purely based on two of the same valves.

Doesn't really sound practical, but it might be fun to experiment with. It kind've reminds me of the Mesa Road King where you can simply select which valves you want to run.
I have had the same thought about mixing EL34's, but right now I don't want to change ANYTHING......at least for the moment.:lol: My YJM100 is just how I want it, but I will probably play around with more tubes sooner or later.

Mat_P

Reaction score
Ok, first time today that I really run the YJM with the EPA full up.
Well, I was shocked how much gain the thing produces.
With the EPA at 50% or below and Volume I at about 3 you are still in clean area whereas with the EPA on 100% you get a really saturated and overdriven riffing sound, well almost good enough for fat leads. Some said earlier that the EPA costs overdrive but now I know what they mean, DOH!
Makes me wonder if it's not better to run that beast with an external attenuator? Thoughts?

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
With the EPA at 50% or below and Volume I at about 3 you are still in clean area whereas with the EPA on 100% you get a really saturated and overdriven riffing sound, well almost good enough for fat leads. Some said earlier that the EPA costs overdrive but now I know what they mean, DOH!
Makes me wonder if it's not better to run that beast with an external attenuator? Thoughts?

You can run it with an attenuator BUT you'll be cooking up valves quicker!
If you want more gain just add some boost!

Edit:Not sure on how you're running it but i have Vol1 Max & Vol2 3/4 then just adjust the EPA for the volume which i find a very nice AC/DC crunch at living room levels unboosted EPA at around 10 0 clock.

ufguy73

Reaction score

my results exactly - when i was trying out the YJM i did the following:

- cranked it without using anything (man, did the walls shake!)

- cranked it at various levels of EPA engagements (sounded great, but it did lose some overdrive - still quite useable, however, and TBH you would not have necessarily noticed if you had not done the above)

- cranked it using a quality attenuator - WOW! identical levels of gain without using anything and no sizzle or artifacts or other issues i had experienced using lower quality attenuation

because of the final result, i ended up returning the YJM because the EPA was one of the major selling points to me - i ended up getting a 100JH full stack (talk about blissful overkill) and still love that beast!

BUT, i am thinking about pulling the trigger on the YJM again - as the idea of having built in reverb and fx loop in a package that gives a more aggressive marshall tone than my 100jh is appealing right now...sometimes, the pcb/build quality nags at me but maybe i should just give up the ghost on that one...

if i had a humbucker guitar in the stable right now (i am currently between Gibsons) i probably would have already caved to rock out! With my strats, its easier to be happy with the 100jh :thumb:

Mat_P

Reaction score
You can run it with an attenuator BUT you'll be cooking up valves quicker!
If you want more gain just add some boost!

Edit:Not sure on how you're running it but i have Vol1 Max & Vol2 3/4 then just adjust the EPA for the volume which i find a very nice AC/DC crunch at living room levels unboosted EPA at around 10 0 clock.

That's how I usually run it, too. But you know, I was so so shocked because you don't need no stinking booster at all with the EPA on 100%:dude:

my results exactly - when i was trying out the YJM i did the following:

- cranked it without using anything (man, did the walls shake!)

- cranked it at various levels of EPA engagements (sounded great, but it did lose some overdrive - still quite useable, however, and TBH you would not have necessarily noticed if you had not done the above)

- cranked it using a quality attenuator - WOW! identical levels of gain without using anything and no sizzle or artifacts or other issues i had experienced using lower quality attenuation

because of the final result, i ended up returning the YJM because the EPA was one of the major selling points to me - i ended up getting a 100JH full stack (talk about blissful overkill) and still love that beast!

BUT, i am thinking about pulling the trigger on the YJM again - as the idea of having built in reverb and fx loop in a package that gives a more aggressive marshall tone than my 100jh is appealing right now...sometimes, the pcb/build quality nags at me but maybe i should just give up the ghost on that one...

if i had a humbucker guitar in the stable right now (i am currently between Gibsons) i probably would have already caved to rock out! With my strats, its easier to be happy with the 100jh :thumb:

Thanks ufguy!
What do you think would be a good attenuator?
I have an old Marshall SE100 laying around but it sucks big time at any setting with more than -6db power reduction and that's just not enough to tame the beast.

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
That's how I usually run it, too. But you know, I was so so shocked because you don't need no stinking booster at all with the EPA on 100%:dude:

Thanks ufguy!
I still have an old Marshall SE100 laying around but it sucks big time at any setting with more than -6db power reduction and that's not enough to tame the beast.

Yeah my Dad was round the other weekend & he was like "Turn it on full while shes out LOL!" & i was telling him i can't on 100watt mode or i'll blow my speakers!
In the end i turned the EPA completey OFF & jumped both channels on 3 with my SG (this is in my living room by the way) & nearly took his false teeth out!:lol::lol::lol:
I knew it was going to be loud,i didn't expect to FEEL how loud it was on 3 though!:wow:
As far as attenuators go i've used a THD Hotplate before & thought it was pretty good,but its the only one i've had!

Quasar-Kid

Reaction score
Yeah my Dad was round the other weekend & he was like "Turn it on full while shes out LOL!" & i was telling him i can't on 100watt mode or i'll blow my speakers!
In the end i turned the EPA completey OFF & jumped both channels on 3 with my SG (this is in my living room by the way) & nearly took his false teeth out!:lol::lol::lol:
I knew it was going to be loud,i didn't expect to FEEL how loud it was on 3 though!:wow:
As far as attenuators go i've used a THD Hotplate before & thought it was pretty good,but its the only one i've had!

This ^ post is where I reflect back to when you referred to my systems as "a cute little stack"
or something equally as degrading and humiliating

Silently I plan my revenge

ufguy73

Reaction score
Thanks ufguy!
I have an old Marshall SE100 laying around but it sucks big time at any setting with more than -6db power reduction and that's just not enough to tame the beast.

ive had really good success with an Alex Attenuator, which is what i use now. works great with my 100jh and my '57 twin reissue - and, as i said, i tested it with the YJM and also had good results for my feeble ears.

i also have heard really good things about the Aracom, which i'd like to try sometime.

Reaction score

Thanks ufguy!
If money is not a big deal then a Faustine Phantom is about the best one out there. I think they cost around $900 and there is a 6 month wait on build time after you place your order. The Rivera Rockcrusher is $499 new and it is outstanding, along with properly tracking impedence amazingly well. The Rockcrusher won't hurt your amp. You would be taking chances with a THD Hot Plate. I have owned the Rivera and THD before and the Rivera is well worth the extra money. You can check out clips of all of these on Youtube.

ufguy73

Reaction score
If money is not a big deal then a Faustine Phantom is about the best one out there. I think they cost around $900 and there is a 6 month wait on build time after you place your order. The Rivera Rockcrusher is $499 new and it is outstanding, along with properly tracking impedence amazingly well. The Rockcrusher won't hurt your amp. You would be taking chances with a THD Hot Plate. I have owned the Rivera and THD before and the Rivera is well worth the extra money. You can check out clips of all of these on Youtube.

though i have also heard the Faustine is a top-of-the-line unit, i would not touch that with a 15 foot pole, based on some of the order/delivery they have had...

some of the threads on TGP that detail some of these issues make for a good week's worth of reading in themselves!