YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Sorry, no. I don't use a boost, nor do I use and external attenuator.

So sorry for the r e a l l y delayed response ... once this thread slipped, I forgot I had even asked!

You don't even use the built in boost? I've grown to really love it. I was doing some back and forth earlier w/my SD-1, and *gasp*, I think I like the built in boost more. Might just be a phase I'm going through, but I just love how natural it sounds w/the amp.

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
So sorry for the r e a l l y delayed response ... once this thread slipped, I forgot I had even asked!

You don't even use the built in boost? I've grown to really love it. I was doing some back and forth earlier w/my SD-1, and *gasp*, I think I like the built in boost more. Might just be a phase I'm going through, but I just love how natural it sounds w/the amp.

No worries crnyc, to be honest, I don't frequent any of the forums I am a member of, I go in spurts.

No, I really don't. In fact, I don't use many of the features other than the attenuator, the 50W/100W setting and the self-biasing function. I pretty much use my board and specifically, my Fulltone OCD (or maybe my Fulltone PlimSoul) to get a boost. Depending on the volume I'm playing at, I don't use much gain off the pedal. I should really try the others like the boost.

I really love this amp! To me, it has everything you could ever want in an amp (actually, for me, more). I just wish I had it 40 years ago! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:cheers:

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yous guys are killing me! Am I going to have to try it now? :)
Been a long time (& sorry if you know this already) but - jump top right to bottom left & plug guitar into top left (top left is where your guitar is for 'the extras' no matter what!)
Honestly between the two volumes,extras & EQ you are now on a zone where fat ,thin,super gain,little gain,reverb can be totally reached!
Basically total plexi control panal!

:lol::lol::lol:

:h5:

Midnight Blues

Reaction score
Been a long time (& sorry if you know this already) but - jump top right to bottom left & plug guitar into top left (top left is where your guitar is for 'the extras' no matter what!)
Honestly between the two volumes,extras & EQ you are now on a zone where fat ,thin,super gain,little gain,reverb can be totally reached!
Basically total plexi control panal!

:lol::lol::lol:

:h5:

I didn't Holme, so THANKS! Can you believe it though? I haven't even tried jumping the channels yet!
confused8.gif
How long have I had this thing? Oh yeah, 2012! RIGHT! Honestly, I don't take advantage of everything this amp has to offer. I guess I'm just too "Old School". Being the HUGE Peter Frampton fan that I am (50 years next year, which coincides with Humble Pie's release of "Humble Pie Performance Rockin' The Fillmore"), I usually plug into the lower input on channel I.

I had to check this; I have a "Numbers" (Apple) spreadsheet where I keep a catalog of my equipment. I paid $1,600.00 for this amp! That's just INSANE!!!! What a bargin!!!!

:cheers: Holme!

bigbadorange

Reaction score
I put my YJM through an attenuator, but I don't think I am cranking it too much. ill have to check the settings. Its only going through a second attenuator as I use a switcher that puts all my amps through the same one. As far as tone is concerned, I always use the built in boos, it is fantastic. My YJM just caused me to sell my BE-100 half stack. To me, they were very similar and I liked the YJM just a pinch better.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I put my YJM through an attenuator, but I don't think I am cranking it too much. ill have to check the settings. Its only going through a second attenuator as I use a switcher that puts all my amps through the same one. As far as tone is concerned, I always use the built in boos, it is fantastic. My YJM just caused me to sell my BE-100 half stack. To me, they were very similar and I liked the YJM just a pinch better.

Do you prefer the attenuator to the EPA? Which attenuator are you using?

Crikey

Reaction score
I dont do a lot of fiddling around with my amps, I usually set them and forget them ;) I set the features on the back where I liked them and just worry about playing it now :dude:
It is a beast for sure :headbanger:
Same here. Set it and forget it

King matthew

Reaction score
I’ve read or skimmed pretty much every page of this thread. I was wondering if anyone that has had the Marshall replacement kit installed has had any issues after the fix? I love the amp and have had it for several years, but I also pretty consistently use an EP boost pedal. I’m concerned that I’ll get it fixed and use the ep boost pedal with it at some point. I use the ep boost for most all my other amps and it’ll stay on my board, so kinda wanting to know if I need to be aware when using it (hope not) or if the kit and fix from Marshall should make it totally a non-issue(assuming this is the case).

Mat_P

Reaction score
I’ve read or skimmed pretty much every page of this thread. I was wondering if anyone that has had the Marshall replacement kit installed has had any issues after the fix?...
My both YJM's received the replacement kit in 2013\2014 if memory serves me well and both had no issues whatsoever since...I'm using a homemade tube booster in front of them that can add some 26+db so no problem with using excessive boost either.

King matthew

Reaction score
Thanks for the info Mat_P.

The amp has been at the tech for a month so far....

Has yours ever had an issue, FennRx?

The Greek

Reaction score
What an epic thread. Thanks to everyone who contributed and made this a vast source of info/knowledge.

Got a YJM today and it seems like it's one of those examples that are affected by the so-called IC5 problem. Sounds great, but as soon as I engage boost/gate it has all the symptoms described in the Official Marshall doc. Does anyone know if Marshall still offers their official Service Kit? I'll call them first thing Monday morning but I was wondering if anyone knows.

King matthew

Reaction score
Mine was just repaired. The amp tech ordered the repair kit through Marshall. It took them a while to send it but it has fixed the issue and it’s back to 100% again.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Mine was just repaired. The amp tech ordered the repair kit through Marshall. It took them a while to send it but it has fixed the issue and it’s back to 100% again.

Was yours broken before you had it fixed, or was this a pre-emptive fix?

Solid State

Reaction score
I've been harassing the YJM official social media to urge marshall for a reissue on this amp. I was lucky enough to be downstream
of one of his speaker cabinets at the live show here in Houston and I just can't say enough good things about the absolutely massive and musical tone of the thing.