YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Greek

Reaction score
Mine was just repaired. The amp tech ordered the repair kit through Marshall. It took them a while to send it but it has fixed the issue and it’s back to 100% again.

Great to hear that, enjoy it. I have the service kit and have arranged to take the amp to a tech on Monday.

In my previous post I wrote that the boost/gate seem to be affected by this well known problem, but actually the gate seems to work fine. It's the boost that is definitely problematic. Anyone else with these exact symptoms? Maybe it's a matter of time before the gate goes south as well? Just curious.

Last edited:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Sorry if this was already posted and I missed it, but the YJM definitely kills with a boost/overdrive in front of it:

The Greek

Reaction score
Unfortunately although I had an electronics qualified tech replace the IC5 and do the mods as per Marshall's instruction manual, the amp is still acting up. The gate seems to work, but the boost doesn't. It's a shame because had this model not been plagued by various intermittent -as it seems- reliability issues, it would probably be the best amp Marshall had made in recent times.

King matthew

Reaction score
Was it broken when you bought it, or did it break while you had it? If the latter, what happened? Were you boosting the amp w/an external boost w/the onboard boost already active?

It had been acting up intermittently for a couple years. I took it to a Marshall tech and he tightened the sockets and Ran the auto bias a few times and it quit acting up for a short while. I think the final death nail for it was during a show we were playing the power was killed by a construction company mid song. It never worked right again after that. I use an ep boost as an always on pedal most of the time so I’m sure it was boosted many times with the onboard boost and gate being used at the same time. After this last fix I’ve had no issues. I think the tech charged $100 with the parts kit included. Well worth it.

The Greek

Reaction score
It had been acting up intermittently for a couple years. I took it to a Marshall tech and he tightened the sockets and Ran the auto bias a few times and it quit acting up for a short while.

Which sockets you mean? The power/preamp tubes sockets? About the autobias, did he turn on & off the amp multiple times with autobiasing each time?

King matthew

Reaction score
Yes he tightened the tube sockets. But every amp I have ever taken to him he does that to, so I would not count on that doing anything for you. As far as the auto bias. Follow the instructions let it do its thing. When it is finished shut it off and do it again two or three times. That would get me into a usable sound but obviously never fixed it.

The Greek

Reaction score
Yes he tightened the tube sockets. But every amp I have ever taken to him he does that to, so I would not count on that doing anything for you. As far as the auto bias. Follow the instructions let it do its thing. When it is finished shut it off and do it again two or three times. That would get me into a usable sound but obviously never fixed it.

Thanks for the clarification. Ok I'll try the autobiasing procedure a few consecutive times, but no matter what I'm taking it to an amp-tech.

bigbadorange

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification. Ok I'll try the autobiasing procedure a few consecutive times, but no matter what I'm taking it to an amp-tech.
Just tossing this out there, is your tech a marshall certified tech? My local one is and on some sketchy issues I had they were able to talk directly to marshall. My yjm was his first yjm and the receptionist was laughing her ass off when I picked it up. She said as soon as they got it sorted out the tech was cranking it for 30 minutes, bring others in to hear it, and going THIS is what a marshall should sound like!

The Greek

Reaction score
Just tossing this out there, is your tech a marshall certified tech? My local one is and on some sketchy issues I had they were able to talk directly to marshall. My yjm was his first yjm and the receptionist was laughing her ass off when I picked it up. She said as soon as they got it sorted out the tech was cranking it for 30 minutes, bring others in to hear it, and going THIS is what a marshall should sound like!

Hahaha cool! It sounds great and I have an original '72 1959 I can compare it to and they're essentially the same. Actually we don't have "Marshall certified" techs here in Greece, there is only the official distributor. Fortunately I have a friend at the Marshall factory who I will have to call if my amp tech doesn't manage to sort things out, I just don't want to bother him yet. What has me worried is that although my friend sent me the service kit, it didn't solve the problem... What symptoms did yours have?

Last edited:

ufguy73

Reaction score
I’ve had 3 YJMs at various points in time, including currently…

Never had a single problem - I know there are some reports of issues but hardly a ‘plague’.

T-Boy

Reaction score
marshall_yjm100.jpg
Hello all, I have a question, hopefully Santiago reads and give an answer...
My YJM has a hum on the FX loop... What to do, what to do?

Warm regards
T-Boy

T-Boy

Reaction score
As suggested by Super Marshall I thought it would be a good idea to post all things YJM related in one place for future reference & stop peeing off other members with continuous threads!
So got a new YJM,any clips,thoughts,pics,reviews?
Lets see 'em!
:thumb:
Hello, sorry to jump in here.., I just want to ask some advice on the hm on my YJM's FX loop, any suggestions, LOVE the amp and the hummmm is not too bad but maybe there is a way to quiet it down. Warm regards

Holme

VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello, sorry to jump in here.., I just want to ask some advice on the hm on my YJM's FX loop, any suggestions, LOVE the amp and the hummmm is not too bad but maybe there is a way to quiet it down. Warm regards
Hello!
I honestly have no idea I've never used it!
Hopefully someone else will be able to chip in & you'll get it sorted out!

:cheers:

T-Boy

Reaction score
Hello!
I honestly have no idea I've never used it!
Hopefully someone else will be able to chip in & you'll get it sorted out!

:cheers:
Thank you BIG CAHOONA!! Lets ask it this way around then..., when I drive and boost the amp and want to add delay to the front (reverb being inside) do is just minimise the delay amount on the input, otherwise it just WASHES with delay with the amp driven. Thank you and bless you. and apologies if I'm NERDY using the FX loop

rsjd41

Reaction score
I continue to try and come up with reasons why I should NOT want a YJM100
All I've got so far is: They're kinda heavy

And in my declining condition with age and decrepitude - you know...

They're also somewhat big. Only two reasons I could think of. That is why I bought mine.

It is also great if you play gigs. With the built in attenuation you can dial the output you want and dial the volume down. Of course no attenuation is perfect, but this is pretty close. Still sounds great.

So, I hope I've discouraged you. Good luck.

usablefiber

Reaction score
I’m a yjm owner and i can tell you i wouldn’t get too hung up about not having one.

it’s not that they are kind of big , they are huge and very cumbersome to move around. It’s quite a difficult lift with one person,
just to give you an idea of scale next to my strat

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
The YJM100 weighs 52 pounds. Heavier than some other amps? Yes. Heavy overall? Nope.