YJM100 - 'The Ultimate Plexi' thread!

• Thread starter Holme
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Have you tested your amp? It would be kinda strange that it was meant to be this way.

If you hit the front end of any amp with too much gain, it's going to sound like a fuzzy mess. IMO, the amp does not sound good with the boost maxed, no matter what the volumes are set at.

Redstone

Reaction score
I seem to notice the issue even if the boost is set fairly low. That is how I noticed it. I turned it up and it is much more noticeable so I used thats why I say to turn it all the way up.

Shazbot

Reaction score
If you hit the front end of any amp with too much gain, it's going to sound like a fuzzy mess. IMO, the amp does not sound good with the boost maxed, no matter what the volumes are set at.

The boost is not close to being maxed. I have mine set at about half way. It sounds fuzzy when the cables are not jumped. There is no problem If cables are jumped (lower left to upper right) and volume 2 is maxed. If vol.2 is lower than 7, it's back to being a fuzzy/synthy.

I seem to notice the issue even if the boost is set fairly low. That is how I noticed it. I turned it up and it is much more noticeable so I used thats why I say to turn it all the way up.

Same here.

If anyone has tested for this issue, it would be great if you could post your observations.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
If anyone else has some time to spare, would you mind checking this out with your YJMs. It only takes 2 mins. Max out your boost, or set it high and play around with the volumes. It should sound kinda fizzy/buzzy set anywhere below about 7 on both volumes.

Yes please. It would be great if others can do this and share their results.

The boost is not close to being maxed. I have mine set at about half way. It sounds fuzzy when the cables are not jumped. There is no problem If cables are jumped (lower left to upper right) and volume 2 is maxed. If vol.2 is lower than 7, it's back to being a fuzzy/synthy.

Sorry, but this is sort of confusing. I was basing what I stated on the posts above ("max out your boost, or set it high") and ("Yes please."). It might be easier if you posted the "exact" settings you are using when you are hearing the "fizzy/buzzy" or "fuzzy/synthy" tones.

Shazbot

Reaction score
Sorry, but this is sort of confusing. I was basing what I stated on the posts above ("max out your boost, or set it high") and ("Yes please."). It might be easier if you posted the "exact" settings you are using when you are hearing the "fizzy/buzzy" or "fuzzy/synthy" tones.

I have the problem no matter what the boost level is. The higher the boost levels, the more obvious the problem is. Sorry for the confusion.

My exact settings are - upper left input. Vol. 1 maxed. Boost level and volume are about 2 o'clock. Using neck pup of LP with 57 classics.

The problem is also there when, the channels are jumped lower left to upper right, vol. 1 is maxed and vol. 2 is below 7.

Any luck Jimirules?

AllenCollinsExplorer

Reaction score
Have you tested your amp? It would be kinda strange that it was meant to be this way.

Yep, I did. When Redstone kindly asked the others to test their amp, I did a recording of it with the boost maxed on just channel I. Sounded good to me, didn't hear anything fuzzy in there. I only run my amp with the channels jumped and I couldn't hear a problem on there as well. I'm guessing, that if it's a problem, it's got something to do with input one and I'd recommend you guys to send it to a tech. Hopefully he'll get this thing sorted out.

Cheers!

JimiRules

Reaction score
I have the problem no matter what the boost level is. The higher the boost levels, the more obvious the problem is. Sorry for the confusion.

My exact settings are - upper left input. Vol. 1 maxed. Boost level and volume are about 2 o'clock. Using neck pup of LP with 57 classics.

The problem is also there when, the channels are jumped lower left to upper right, vol. 1 is maxed and vol. 2 is below 7.

Any luck Jimirules?

I tried maxing the volume and gain of the boost and set both channel volumes at 5. The sound was so bright and thin I couldn't even stand to play for more than a couple minutes. This was with my Les Paul, which has the most bottom end of any of my guitars.

Redstone

Reaction score
I tried maxing the volume and gain of the boost and set both channel volumes at 5. The sound was so bright and thin I couldn't even stand to play for more than a couple minutes. This was with my Les Paul, which has the most bottom end of any of my guitars.

Was the distortion kind of fuzzing out? I don't know how to describe it. It is something that you really have to hear in person. Mine does sound kind of thin with the distortion sounding like it is over-distorting or something, but when I bring up Vol 2 a bit more it starts to sound crisp.

indeedido

Reaction score
Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...

Yes this is what I get as well. It is the nature of the beast with a bright cap. Add an overdrive with low channel volume and it is a fuzzy icepick to the face. If you search, you'll find many people cutting it off in their '70s metal panel amps which is what this amp is with added features. I don't like the YJM below 7 using any boost. No boost and it is good below it. I would love to cut that bright cap off of mine as well so I can further tailor tones but don't want to devalue it. So I just keep the volumes no lower than 7.

JimiRules

Reaction score
Was the distortion kind of fuzzing out? I don't know how to describe it. It is something that you really have to hear in person. Mine does sound kind of thin with the distortion sounding like it is over-distorting or something, but when I bring up Vol 2 a bit more it starts to sound crisp.

I don't really know if I would describe it as fuzzy. Just really thin and harsh. It had no bottom end at all.

Redstone

Reaction score
No bottom end? Have you tried new tubes?

Hello all!

It seems to have plenty bottom end when both volumes are turned up with or without the boost. If it is turned down a bit, the boost makes it sound thin and fuzzy.

dash8311

Reaction score
I have the boost volume & gain set very low. The boost volume is set where it does not increase nor decrease volume/loudness when engaged, while the gain only adds a small amount more. Just a slight kick of boost.

Sounds good at all EPA settings.

I rarely use the Boost though, only Reverb.

aw9190

Reaction score
Yes this is what I get as well. It is the nature of the beast with a bright cap. Add an overdrive with low channel volume and it is a fuzzy icepick to the face. If you search, you'll find many people cutting it off in their '70s metal panel amps which is what this amp is with added features. I don't like the YJM below 7 using any boost. No boost and it is good below it. I would love to cut that bright cap off of mine as well so I can further tailor tones but don't want to devalue it. So I just keep the volumes no lower than 7.

I think it is the bright cap in the circuit that is giving you the icepickyness. It is doing what it is supposed to do. It is adding crunch and cleaning the bottom end up. It is in the circuit from 0-7 and than after that it is pretty much out of the circuit.

All of the marshalls i ever had did this. The YJM is no different. Here is a question if you play unjumpered is it still fuzzy/icepicky at lets say 8 on the dial(this is with regard to channel 1, as channel 2 has no bright cap)? There is a a point in the pots sweep were its very noticeable when the cap is out of the circuit it think between 7 & 8 is were it usually is. Give it try.

Argon66

Reaction score
I think it is the bright cap in the circuit that is giving you the icepickyness. It is doing what it is supposed to do. It is adding crunch and cleaning the bottom end up. It is in the circuit from 0-7 and than after that it is pretty much out of the circuit.

All of the marshalls i ever had did this. The YJM is no different. Here is a question if you play unjumpered is it still fuzzy/icepicky at lets say 8 on the dial(this is with regard to channel 1, as channel 2 has no bright cap)? There is a a point in the pots sweep were its very noticeable when the cap is out of the circuit it think between 7 & 8 is were it usually is. Give it try.

Here is a sample of a Les Paul straight into channel 1 running at 8 with no boost and a real straight forward EQ setting.
Settings are P2, B4, M5.5, T5.

Find this gives you a good classic woody crunch tone. No fizz or mush.

https://soundcloud.com/argon66/lizzy

Last edited:

Argon66

Reaction score
Good crunch! What was your EPA on?

Hi Duncan.

My EPA was just a touch past 10:00.
Was home when I recorded this, so going much louder would have been pushing it.

I find setting the EPA at noon really starts to open up the amp, but Im still happy with the tone at lower settings.
Today I might try recording with my Timmy pedal pushing the amp a bit more.

Last edited:

Argon66

Reaction score
Here is another track with the exact same amp EQ settings, but with a timmy pedal to boost the front end.

It adds some gain and compression, but also quite a bit of bottom end too.
Too much boost could really mush things up if not careful...at least with the Timmy. I think next time I'll dial back the base a bit on the pedal. This does show that using a boost with a low EPA setting can potentially be finicky.

https://soundcloud.com/argon66/victim-of-changes

Last edited:

John 14:6

Reaction score
Here is another track with the exact same amp EQ settings, but with a timmy pedal to boost the front end.

It adds some gain and compression, but also quite a bit of bottom end too.
Too much boost could really mush things up if not careful...at least with the Timmy. I think next time I'll dial back the base a bit on the pedal. This does show that using a boost with a low EPA setting can potentially be finicky.

https://soundcloud.com/argon66/victim-of-changes
Sounds great to me. Pretty dead on to the sound on the record.